Simple, Healthy meals?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 2 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 1 Post By Dandelion
  • 1 Post By Dandelion

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
February 24th, 2013, 05:42 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ok ladies... I admit, I'm a wreck of a cook. I can make an amazing dinner but only if I have a recipe. I'm horrible at just whipping up something off the top of my head.

Sooo, I'm calling on all my pregnant sisters!! Please, share with me some of your easy to make but delicious meals, side dishes, desserts!

Please? Lol I'm trying to be a better cook.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
February 24th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Parmesan crusted Tilapia

I use foil to cook each piece in, makes clean up tons easier. Spray foil with cooking spray, put down a thin layer of parmesan cheese on it, place Tilapia on that, layer with more cheese. Close up foil to make a packet. Cook on 350 for about 15-20 minutes until fish flakes.

I do that with roasted veggies. (Use whatever veggies you like. We do brussels and cauliflower or butternut squash with fish.) cut into bite size pieces, coat with EVOO and salt and pepper. Stir to coat. Roast on a cookie sheet in a even layer for 25 minutes on 425. If veggies are still a bit firm, stir and place back in oven 5-10 more minutes.
mamalamb and yvee80 like this.
February 24th, 2013, 06:29 PM
Sounds yummy! I love making tilapia. I layer them in a glass baking dish and coat them with melted butter. Then sprinkle lemon pepper seasoning on them and cook until it flakes.

I am going to be trying your recipe. Yummy! Thanks!

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 24th, 2013, 06:52 PM
Mega Super Mommy
DH and my kids love it.

I also will mix teriyaki and garlic together in a bag and add salmon in it. Marinate for at least 12 hours and grill or bake the salmon.
yvee80 likes this.

Last edited by PhD_Bound_Mommy; March 3rd, 2013 at 09:20 AM.
February 24th, 2013, 07:29 PM
You are awesome.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 24th, 2013, 07:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
You are awesome.
I used to work as a nanny for almost 3 years and did all the cooking for the family. They only ate healthy and organic. So depending on how complex you want I have tons of healthy recipes.

If you like pork....

Take a pork tenderloin, defrosted, place in a bag with a can of frozen limeade mix-thawed, and diced garlic. Marinate for at lest 12 hours. Slice pork into medalians about 1/2 inch thick and bake in oven until done. (350 for about 15-30 minutes.)

Serve with rice and asparagus.

Also, before going on bed rest, I cooked all three meals every day for us. DH said that was the one thing he was going to miss being deployed was all my cooking. I love to cook.
February 24th, 2013, 08:57 PM
I wish it came naturally to me or I had someone actually teach me how. My mom never wanted us any where near the kitchen.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 25th, 2013, 04:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you were closer, I'd teach ya
February 26th, 2013, 05:57 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I know plenty of simple unhealthy meals LOL

I do things like grilled chicken and quinoa. Can't really mess that up.

Shishkabobs are good. just skewer chicken/meat and vegetables and grill.

Another thing we do, and it's not SUPER healthy, but it's easy and pretty healthy, is We take chicken tenders and coat them in egg whites, then dip them in breadcrumbs, then fry them in a tiny bit of safflower oil. I usually make enough to last us a few days. We use them cut up in chicken Caesar or chicken Caesar salad wraps(spinach tortilla, chicken, shredded parm, and Caesar dressing, sometimes with lettuce) . The chicken by itself we serve with a vegetable. One of my favorite vegetables are asparagus because all you need it a tiny bit of butter and salt on some streamed asparagus and you are good to go.

I have a good recipe for Picadillo that I need to find. It's amazingly seasoned ground beef, you can serve it over top brown rice. It takes more time to make then the other things I mentioned, and there are more steps, but it's still really easy and fool proof. If you think you would like it I'll hunt down the recipe
February 26th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Ok, what are your unhealthy recipes? lol

thanks for everything so far.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 26th, 2013, 08:21 AM
Mix 1 lb of ground beef with 1 packet of onion soup mix and 8oz of cheddar cheese. Then wrap them up in cresent rolls and cook. They make these little beef and cheese pockets that are addicting but so unhealthy lol You can probably use that to make other things, too, though. Pretty much any mixture with meat or veggies or chicken or both can be wrapped up in a dinner roll to make these yummy pockets of food! We back a bunch and they are like a "grab and go" thing, too.
February 26th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
Mix 1 lb of ground beef with 1 packet of onion soup mix and 8oz of cheddar cheese. Then wrap them up in cresent rolls and cook. They make these little beef and cheese pockets that are addicting but so unhealthy lol You can probably use that to make other things, too, though. Pretty much any mixture with meat or veggies or chicken or both can be wrapped up in a dinner roll to make these yummy pockets of food! We back a bunch and they are like a "grab and go" thing, too.
Oooh yummy lol my MIL makes a pizza roll version of that with pepperoni and cheese.
alittlelost likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 26th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Mmmm that sounds so good!!! We make tons and even freeze some for later LOL
February 26th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
We're having spaghetti "bolognese" (I put it in quotes because it's not authentic, it's kind of a cheat, but very good) and salad. My bolognese recipe is in the quick go-to meals thread.

Tomorrow, I'll have left over tomatoes to use, so I'll make roasted tomatoes as a side dish, which are delicious and really easy:
Cut cherry/grape/roma tomatoes in half
Toss in bowl with enough olive oil to coat
Sprinkle with salt and pepper
Toss in a bit of minced garlic, a dash of garlic powder will suffice if you don't have garlic on hand.
Drizzle just a touch of balsamic vinegar on top and stir to combine
Pour into a greased baking dish
Mix panko bread crumbs and grated parmesan cheese and sprinkle a thin layer on top
Bake at 350 for about 25 minutes until tomatoes are bubbly and topping begins to brown.

Wednesday nights, the hubs has class, so I'll probably serve this on top of cous cous for the kids with some steamed green beans on the side and maybe a little left-over chicken from last night if I don't eat it for lunch. I don't usually bother making meat dishes if DH isn't home, seems like a waste of the grocery budget and the whole wheat couscous is really filling and the roasted tomatoes on top taste great.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Matilda (6), Evelyn (4), Adelaide (2), Cecily (11 months)

February 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Here are some!

Crockpot Chicken Posole:

1 can(s) (15 oz) yellow or white hominy, drained
1 can(s) (14.5 oz) Mexican-style diced tomatoes
1 can(s) (10 oz) mild green enchilada sauce
2 carrots, diced
1 medium onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
2 teaspoon(s) cumin
boneless skinless chicken breasts (or you can also use thighs) 1-1 1/2 lbs

Put everything in the crockpot, combine, and cook on high 3-4 hours. Serve with tortilla chips, lime wedges, cilantro if you want!

Spinach Stuffed Shells:

12 jumbo pasta shells
1 package (16 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
1 cup low-fat cottage cheese
1/2 cup mozzarella cheese, grated
1 can (8 ounces) Italian spiced diced tomatoes, drained
salt
ground black pepper
1 cup prepared pasta sauce
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese

Heat oven to 375, cook and drain noodles. In a large mixing bowl, combine the spinach, cottage cheese, mozzarella, and tomatoes. Season with salt/pepper. Spread some of the sauce on the bottom of a baking dish. (8X8 or 9X9) Stuff each shell with the spinach mixture, and arrange the shells in the baking dish. Cover shells with the rest of the sauce, cover with foil and bake 15-20 minutes, sprinkle with parmesan cheese. -These can easily be done without the spinach too, if you or your kids aren't a fan!!

Chicken Pot Pie "Cupcakes":

2 cups of cooked chicken
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 cup frozen mixed veggies
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 tablespoon of dried thyme
1/2 tablespoon of dried basil
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic salt
2 (10 oz) cans Pillsbury (or any) biscuits

Heat oven to 400. In a large bowl mix cooked chicken, cream of chicken soup, frozen veggies, cheese, herbs and spices. Spray a muffin pan with nonstick spray, and place the biscuits into each cup, pressing into the bottom and up the sides. Spoon the pot pie mixture into each biscuit cup, and bake about 15 minutes!

8 Can Taco Soup:

1 (15 oz.) can black beans, drained and rinsed
1 (15 oz.) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
1 (14.5 oz.) can petite diced tomatoes, drained
1 (15.25 oz.) can sweet corn, drained
1 (12.5 oz.) can white chicken breast, drained
1 (10.75 oz.) can cream of chicken soup
1 (10 oz.) can green enchilada sauce
1 (14 oz.) can chicken broth
1 packet taco seasoning

Combine all ingredients in large pot and heat until warm, serve with tortilla chips! (This is easy to do in the crockpot too, on low for a few hours).

February 26th, 2013, 08:14 PM
Yay! Keep them coming ladies! Thanks for everything posted so far! I'm getting hungry again just reading these...
mamalamb likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
February 27th, 2013, 01:24 PM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
These must be healthy; there are apples in them

I had a Fiesta the day after Thanksgiving with these quesadillas, chicken enchiladas, tacos, salsa, guacamole and chips. I had made sooooo much food that night I loaded my dishwasher three times!!

Apple Chicken Quesadillas

2 medium tart apples - I use granny smith
1 cup diced cooked chicken breast
1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese - go fat-free then it's healthy right?
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/2 cup chopped fresh tomato
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 flour tortillas, warmed

Combine ingredients in large bowl.
Place about 3/4 cup on each tortilla. Fold tortilla in half over filling and secure with toothpicks (remove later).

Spray cooking spray on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400° for 8-10 minutes ~ until golden brown.

Turn quesadillas over; bake another 5-8 minutes longer ~ until golden brown.

Cut into wedges and serve with lettuce, salsa, black olives, sour cream, guacamole, etc…
Serve with anything you want!!

Last edited by onemoremakesfour; February 27th, 2013 at 01:35 PM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search