Blood Pressure issues?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 7th, 2013, 12:35 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
I've had a headache for the last 4 days, and had a couple episodes of seeing stars, and a coworker asked about my blood pressure. I hadn't let the idea cross my mind! I went to a CVS and had the pharmacist take my BP and it was 141/80. I called my dr office and the nurse said it was elevated and I should stay hydrated and she'd let my dr know. My BP is usually on the lower end, well under 120/60.

I'm so nervous that I'll have BP issues! I had preeclampsia with my 2nd (not my first, which is strange). I was really hoping I'd avoid it this time! I'm in a healthy weight range and exercise 3x/week, so I was hoping that would do the trick. I'm also over 40, so that increases my risks considerably for pre-e. I just wasn't expecting to start having BP issues at only 18 weeks! (Pre-e isn't diagnosed until after 20 weeks, so I'm not there yet, but I'm at a greater risk of it if I have gestational hypertension).

Anyone else deal with blood pressure problems?

March 7th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Mommy of 3
Aww I'm sorry to hear that. Maybe it was just a once off? Fingers crossed everything will be ok

March 7th, 2013, 05:48 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mines been a lil high my last 3 visits, which is not normal for me. I'm usually around 115-70 but its been 130/90 (first visit it was even higher). I never had issues before, so hoping its nothing.

March 7th, 2013, 06:26 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Hoping that it is something that will resolve for you and not turn into pre-E!

March 7th, 2013, 08:28 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I definitely hope this resolves for you and doesn't end up being pre-e!

My BP runs very low (100/60 is my average), and last pregnancy it dropped a lot and I ended up in L&D a few times (once it dropped to 80/40 or something close to that!)... but this time I worry because my 16 week visit it was 120/70... I know that's still totally healthy but it's doing the total opposite of last pregnancy and I worry I will end up with high BP this pregnancy

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

March 7th, 2013, 10:07 AM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
Hello,

I had pre-e in my first pregnancy and am being monitored closely in this pregnancy. I had my son at 32 weeks and my pre-e was severe and quick to escalate. I would suggest getting a bp cuff for at home (I got mine for 40 bucks on Amazon). I check mine a couple times a day to get a feel for when it is high. For instance, sometimes it is high in the morning, and I think that is because I am dehydrated. It also helps with the "white coat syndrome" that I was experiencing in the doctor's office. I was getting so nervous that my bp would shoot up, once I had the confidence of KNOWING that my BP was low, it took away the fear.

Here is the other thing...if its before 20 weeks, then high bp is not really a sign of pre-e. It is just a sign of pregnancy-induced hypertension. Of course, after 20 weeks PIH can lead to pre-e, but it is not an automatically correlated thing. Make sense?

I guess what I am saying is don't freak out yet (way easier said than done!), you may just have high bp during pregnancy.

There are some baby-safe drugs for bp. Maybe you should ask your OB.

Us pre-e mamas gotta stick together!
March 7th, 2013, 10:54 AM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
I have chronic high blood pressure. I've had it since I was 17 been on meds since 19. I had pre-e with my first (totally the pits) and I am hoping to avoid it this time. I have already been switched to Lebatelol (I'm sure that is spelled wrong). Anyway, for me I don't need the meds right now! My BP is running low to normal. I think that might be part of why I feel so tired. The other night at work I was dizzy and stumbling, checked my BP and it was 106/70, really low for me and without meds. I don't know how to handle being on this end . . . I just try to keep my fluids up. I agree that having a BP cuff at home is a good idea, plus those drug store machines aren't too reliable . . . kids playing with them and all. I hope it was a fluke and you won't have problems. Good luck!

Make a pregnancy ticker

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search