Need Gift Ideas

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 2 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Mself145
  • 1 Post By Bookreader
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 08:06 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My friend's mom is basically my kid's grandma. She's also like a mom to me, too, in some ways. She's an older Cuban woman, very sweet, great cook, my husband can barely understand her broken english but 95% of the time I understand her just fine. She's really an amazing woman and so good to my kids and my family. She buys them coloring books, clothes, shoes, etc--even though I know she doesn't make money and we can afford to do it ourselves.

Well, yesterday she stopped by unannounced and surprised us! She brought coloring books and crayons for the kids and food that SHE bought to make US dinner. For 3 hours, she was at our house cooking, making chicken, rice (her rice is amazing and she cooks it fresh), beans (also cooked fresh from dry beans and made with sofrito), yucca, tomato slices in some kind of dressing, and some kind of vegetable medley everyone actually ATE and LOVED. Really, this makes the dinner sound more simple than it was (even if doesn't sound simple) but she is an AMAZING cook. AND while she cooked, she did the dishes that had piled up in our sink and cleaned the kitchen! This is the second time in two weeks that she has come over and cleaned our kitchen, too.

After she left, I said to my husband, "We really should get her something nice." and he said he was just thinking the same thing. but we don't know what to get her. Flowers would probably make her day, but we want to give her something that will last. Any ideas?
yvee80 and mommy_to_nico like this.
March 21st, 2013, 08:23 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
That is so sweet of her ! What does she like?

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
March 21st, 2013, 08:32 AM
Not really sure O.o I mean, she's not really into material possessions, so it's more the thought that counts, but I want something she can keep.
March 21st, 2013, 09:00 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That is so sweet!!

What about a gift card to a day spa? Maybe a massage, pedicure, facial kind of deal?

Or treat her out to dinner one night?

Or send her an Edible Arrangements bouquet! Flowers you can eat = the way to MY heart hahaha!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

March 21st, 2013, 09:03 AM
Veteran
Does she garden? What about some flowers in a little pot that can be planted outside. Spring is almost here and i'm sure you could find a cute set of flowers and a cute decorative pot to place them in. That way the flowers would last, be beautiful, and tell her thank you for everything she has been doing to help you andyour family. From what you said about her, i think she would appreciate the thought. And everytime she sees the flowers it will remind her of your appreciation
UrbanMomma likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 09:06 AM
I love all those ideas! Thank you! I'll run those ideas by my husband
March 21st, 2013, 09:21 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I like the ideas about the flowers and a pot. Or you could do cut flowers in a vase or some kind of keepsake container, florists have all kinds of stuff.

I like the idea of outside flowers more though, last longer.

That was so nice of her, and the food sounds great! I need a Cuban grandmother type!!
#12 is on the way
March 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The flower in the pot is a CUTE idea!

Another cute one would be like a charm bracelet or something like that? You could put a little charm to represent each of the kids on it or something and she could add to it. Idk, might be too personal and you are looking for something smaller! But I think there are some great ideas on the thread!

March 21st, 2013, 09:26 AM
Super Mommy
I was going to suggest some form of plant, too. Something that will brighten her day and also last. I'd also have your child(ren) write/color her a little thank you note. The fastest way to a woman's heart is through a note from a child.
mommy_to_nico likes this.
March 21st, 2013, 10:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
i was going to suggest a craft project from the kids with a note from the children

March 21st, 2013, 10:04 AM
great ideas so far! I was thinking some kind of jewelry, like with the kids birth stones or something, but not sure...
March 21st, 2013, 10:06 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I ditto the craft project. A hand-painted pot with a plant, a garden step-stone with their handprints, a photo project, or they could paint a nice serving tray since she is such a great cook.

ETA that she sounds like such a lovely, selfless woman. We should all strive to be more like her.
alittlelost likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
March 21st, 2013, 10:15 AM
what creative ideas, thank you!
March 21st, 2013, 10:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh, and let me know if you figure out something with the birthstones. Since Finley is our last I really want a piece of birthstone jewelry with the 3 kids but I've looked around and am not too crazy about anything I've seen...

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
March 21st, 2013, 10:23 AM
If I find anything really cute I'll let you know!
Beachbabies likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search