Preventing Pre-Eclampsia

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By soccermamatomany
  • 2 Post By Anchored

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
March 21st, 2013, 10:38 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was induced at 36 weeks with my son due to pre-eclampsia. Overall, I had a healthy pregnancy with him and kept a healthy diet and drank plenty of water, but sometimes it happens no matter what. That said, there are things you can do to help prevent it. I took extra measures with my following pregnancies because I heard are slightly more likely to get it again when you've had it before, but the risks in each pregnancy are still low, so that's the good news. If you've had it or are worried about getting it, there are things you can do to help prevent it.

INCREASE dietary fiber! 24 grams a day gives a 51% reduction in the risk for preeclampsia.
Drink Lots of Water!
Get plenty of Calcium and Vitamin C.
AVOID CAFFEINE!
Aboid alcohol (I'm sure everyone already is HAHA.
Try the BREWERS DIET.
Exercise, if you are able, has also been suggested as a prevention method. Basically, exercise improves circulation which in turns improves blood pressure. (Stretching exercises may be more effective at reducing the risk of preeclampsia than walking is for pregnant women who have already experienced the condition and who do not follow a workout routine) Stretching is also great because there are plenty of stretches you can do even while on strict bed rest

Dr. Brewers says:
“It’s not genetics. It’s not random. The cause is NOT unknown. Toxemia CAN be stopped. PreeclampsiaA-toxic-condition-developing-in-late-pre… CAN be stopped. Best of all, YOU can stop it!

HOW? All the scientific research being done on toxemia and preeclampsia these days is focusing on treatment, and none of it is promising. But the research has already been done, many times and many ways in the past 50+ years, and we know that you can PREVENT this from happening to you in the first place, no matter what your personal history may be. The simple answer? GOOD NUTRITION."

You are more likely to get Pre-E if...
You have a history of chronic high blood pressure, diabetes or kidney disorder
Family history of the disorder (i.e., a mother, sister, grandmother or aunt who had the disorder)
Women with greater than 30% Body Mass Index (BMI).
Multiple gestation
Over 40 or under 18 years of age
Polycystic ovarian syndrome
Lupus or other autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, sarcoidosis or MS.

If you are experiencing blood pressure in early pregnancy, your doctor has probably already put your mind to ease, but just in case, having occasional high blood pressure readings before 20 weeks doesn't mean you are going to get Pre-E. There is no concern for Pre-e a) prior to 20 weeks and b) those symptoms alone (high blood pressure, getting dizzy, etc) are not worrisome. They're part of the fact that you have extra blood in your system and it throws you off. But just in case, eat healthy, drink lots of water, and get some light exercise--all those things have benefits beyond just preventing Pre-E, too!

Hope this helps
March 21st, 2013, 10:41 AM
Mommy of 3
I didn't realise it was something you could prevent.
Thanks for the tips!!

March 21st, 2013, 10:43 AM
No problem! I do think, though, that sometimes it's just going to happen. (I'm not so easily convinced by modern medicine that everything can be 100% prevented...) But I do believe it helps a great deal
March 21st, 2013, 10:46 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thank you! I alrady upped my water intake and started taking walks.
alittlelost likes this.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
March 21st, 2013, 11:01 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
WAIT. I have to stop my Captain and Cokes!?

Hehe. No seriously, thanks for the info! After my issue last week with the dizziness and blood pressure and headaches, I'm really worried Pre-E is something I may have to deal with down the line! I will definitely work on these
alittlelost and Irishgirl99 like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

March 21st, 2013, 11:22 AM
I will help you if you help me! I struggle with the drinking more water part

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search