Log In Sign Up

OT: Equal Marriage.


Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree73Likes

Closed Topic Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #21  
March 26th, 2013, 05:18 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: NH
Posts: 10,622
I'm all for equal rights as well. It really bothers me that so many people are refused the simple right of marrying the person they love the most. My wedding day was and still is one of the best days of my life and it really makes me sad that others in our country are denied those memories.
__________________

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!




  #22  
March 26th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,725
I am 100% behind marriage equality and equal rights for everyone regardless of sex, race, or orientation. It wasn't long ago African Americans and women didn't have equal rights. Look at us now.

I seriously have a problem with anyone who doesn't stand behind equality. I'm not afraid to admit that. I myself am a bisexual woman. My brother is openly gay. I'm feel very strongly about this issue.
Hesperleigh likes this.
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
  #23  
March 26th, 2013, 07:07 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
I seriously have a problem with anyone who doesn't stand behind equality. I'm not afraid to admit that. I myself am a bisexual woman. My brother is openly gay. I'm feel very strongly about this issue.
Ditto. My friendships with people who oppose gay rights have struggled and/or ended. It's just too hard to know that's how they feel about me when I've lived it and I surely don't choose it.
__________________




  #24  
March 26th, 2013, 10:39 PM
Newbie
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 3
Dear ladies,
I guess I am the first one to respond the other way, since you asked for honest opinion; I am here to explain why I believe gay marriage should be illegal. I am not going to judge anyone, but if someone ask me to explain why I believe, what I believe, I guess I should explain my side, right?
Yes I have command to love everyone as a Christian, and I honestly try to do that (I fail sometime as a human), believe me I love my gay and lesbian friends. However I am totally against them getting married. Many of you asked, why people could be against some innocent loving people getting into marriage, well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as ďa covenant between one man and one womanĒ, and there is a strong reason behind it. however if you choose not to believe this, than there is nothing wrong in gay marriage, but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life, and it has many rules and regulations.
There are people who believe in something called open marriage, and they have a reason to say why they believe it, but may be most of us wonít agree for that, because we think marriage is between only two people. In the same way ,we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a women, That is why I think gay marriage should not be legalized.
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point, but please donít mistaken me by thinking, I hate gay people, I donít, but I donít approve their actions, One other person asked shouldnít we love them, is that not what Jesus told us, yes Jesus did say love everyone, but He never said affirm every behavior. Simply we love sinners but hate sin (I know I am a sinner too).
Thank you all for letting me explain my side of the argument, and I am open for comments and criticism, but pls donít curse. Thanks again.
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
  #25  
March 27th, 2013, 12:20 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahijesus View Post
Dear ladies,
I guess I am the first one to respond the other way, since you asked for honest opinion; I am here to explain why I believe gay marriage should be illegal. I am not going to judge anyone, but if someone ask me to explain why I believe, what I believe, I guess I should explain my side, right?
Yes I have command to love everyone as a Christian, and I honestly try to do that (I fail sometime as a human), believe me I love my gay and lesbian friends. However I am totally against them getting married. Many of you asked, why people could be against some innocent loving people getting into marriage, well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as “a covenant between one man and one woman”, and there is a strong reason behind it. however if you choose not to believe this, than there is nothing wrong in gay marriage, but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life, and it has many rules and regulations.
There are people who believe in something called open marriage, and they have a reason to say why they believe it, but may be most of us won’t agree for that, because we think marriage is between only two people. In the same way ,we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a women, That is why I think gay marriage should not be legalized.
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point, but please don’t mistaken me by thinking, I hate gay people, I don’t, but I don’t approve their actions, One other person asked shouldn’t we love them, is that not what Jesus told us, yes Jesus did say love everyone, but He never said affirm every behavior. Simply we love sinners but hate sin (I know I am a sinner too).
Thank you all for letting me explain my side of the argument, and I am open for comments and criticism, but pls don’t curse. Thanks again.
Thanks for sharing your views. That being said, I can't even begin to comprehend the things you've said because they are completely contradictory and offensive. I also think it's a negative way to introduce yourself to our DDC when this is your first post a.k.a. first impression.

A note to everyone: marriage existed BEFORE Christianity did. Same sex couples getting married will not harm anyone. Using religion to justify your bigotry is morally wrong and NEVER something I will accept. Using one single religion to define the lives of a nation is not acceptable. Especially when the nation is so divided when it comes to religion. I severely hope that marriage equality becomes a reality. It's not a "gay" issue, it's a human rights issue. It's not a question of if, it's a question of when. Gays will one day be granted marriage equality. It's a reality.
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!

Last edited by Dandelion; March 27th, 2013 at 12:48 AM.
  #26  
March 27th, 2013, 03:44 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 586
Equality all the way! Whole heartedly!
__________________



  #27  
March 27th, 2013, 06:42 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EARTH
Posts: 27,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahijesus View Post
Dear ladies,
I guess I am the first one to respond the other way, since you asked for honest opinion; I am here to explain why I believe gay marriage should be illegal. I am not going to judge anyone, but if someone ask me to explain why I believe, what I believe, I guess I should explain my side, right?
Yes I have command to love everyone as a Christian, and I honestly try to do that (I fail sometime as a human), believe me I love my gay and lesbian friends. However I am totally against them getting married. Many of you asked, why people could be against some innocent loving people getting into marriage, well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as ďa covenant between one man and one womanĒ, and there is a strong reason behind it. however if you choose not to believe this, than there is nothing wrong in gay marriage, but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life, and it has many rules and regulations.
There are people who believe in something called open marriage, and they have a reason to say why they believe it, but may be most of us wonít agree for that, because we think marriage is between only two people. In the same way ,we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a women, That is why I think gay marriage should not be legalized.
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point, but please donít mistaken me by thinking, I hate gay people, I donít, but I donít approve their actions, One other person asked shouldnít we love them, is that not what Jesus told us, yes Jesus did say love everyone, but He never said affirm every behavior. Simply we love sinners but hate sin (I know I am a sinner too).
Thank you all for letting me explain my side of the argument, and I am open for comments and criticism, but pls donít curse. Thanks again.
Quote:
well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as ďa covenant between one man and one womanĒ
All though the founders of this country may have come her for religious freedom, they did however put together a set of rules, laws & so forth to protect the state from the church. Marriage, in the eyes of the court, is a legal matter, not religious. We are talking about "in the eyes of the state", not the eyes of a person who may or may not exist.

Quote:
but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life
So lets just nullify all the marriages of infertile couples as well, right?

Quote:
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
The link is lack of condoms, knowledge, & sharing dirty needles. All of those things do not discriminate based on sexual preference. I personally know more straight people with HIV than gay.

Quote:
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point
Actually you have proven nothing, I see no links to valid, non religious information supporting anything you've said. If you want me to believe a man in the sky who has no proven existence is the end all be all in the decisions of marriage, than you need to get to work on proving that.

And with saying that, I couldn't care less what religious views people have, AT ALL. I believe all people are allowed to do as they choose as long as the harm on the planet & other beings is minimal.

Two men or two women married has no effect on YOUR religious relationship to your God, at all. Pray for them if you wish, but don't repress them with non religious laws.
__________________
Mommy. Vegan & Straight Edge. Doula & Placenta Encapsulator. Animal Rights Activist.



  #28  
March 27th, 2013, 07:06 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 6,861
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahijesus View Post
Dear ladies,
I guess I am the first one to respond the other way, since you asked for honest opinion; I am here to explain why I believe gay marriage should be illegal. I am not going to judge anyone, but if someone ask me to explain why I believe, what I believe, I guess I should explain my side, right?
Yes I have command to love everyone as a Christian, and I honestly try to do that (I fail sometime as a human), believe me I love my gay and lesbian friends. However I am totally against them getting married. Many of you asked, why people could be against some innocent loving people getting into marriage, well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as “a covenant between one man and one woman”, and there is a strong reason behind it. however if you choose not to believe this, than there is nothing wrong in gay marriage, but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life, and it has many rules and regulations.
There are people who believe in something called open marriage, and they have a reason to say why they believe it, but may be most of us won’t agree for that, because we think marriage is between only two people. In the same way ,we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a women, That is why I think gay marriage should not be legalized.
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point, but please don’t mistaken me by thinking, I hate gay people, I don’t, but I don’t approve their actions, One other person asked shouldn’t we love them, is that not what Jesus told us, yes Jesus did say love everyone, but He never said affirm every behavior. Simply we love sinners but hate sin (I know I am a sinner too).
Thank you all for letting me explain my side of the argument, and I am open for comments and criticism, but pls don’t curse. Thanks again.
If you feel that way, then YOU should not marry someone of the same sex. That still has nothing to do with someone ELSE'S right to follow THEIR beliefs (religious or otherwise) that they believe do allow them to marry someone of the same sex. Fortunately, inequality can be fixed. Unfortunately, ignorance often cannot be.

As for the link between some things and homosexuality, you have to understand that correlation does not equal causation. For example, there is a link between lower IQs and Christians. (Average IQ of a Christian- 98; Average IQ of a Buddhist, 108; Average IQ of a Jew, 115; Average IQ of an Atheist, 119) But does that mean being a Christian makes people less intelligent? No. Does it mean that if we had less Christians in this country, our country would have a higher IQ? No. And by the same token, stopping people from being gay would not lower mental illness or STDS, etc.

But if you cannot understand that correlation does not equal causation, then perhaps it makes sense that you are incapable of understanding why the Bible does not condemn gays and why there is no reason two people of the same sex cannot have a marriage covenant under God--or under the State! (which has nothing to do with your religion OR your interpretation of your religion!)

Really, the only thing lacking in your argument is understanding of religion, understand of human rights and how they have nothing to do with your religion, and understanding of medical science. Take away your lack of understanding, and you would either see things different or simply be driven by hate to the same conclusions. Since you claim you are not driven by hate (and I believe you) I just chalk this up to an inability to comprehend.

And just as I protect a gay's right to marriage, I protect your right to speak freely about things you clearly do not comprehend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post
All though the founders of this country may have come her for religious freedom, they did however put together a set of rules, laws & so forth to protect the state from the church. Marriage, in the eyes of the court, is a legal matter, not religious. We are talking about "in the eyes of the state", not the eyes of a person who may or may not exist.



So lets just nullify all the marriages of infertile couples as well, right?



The link is lack of condoms, knowledge, & sharing dirty needles. All of those things do not discriminate based on sexual preference. I personally know more straight people with HIV than gay.



Actually you have proven nothing, I see no links to valid, non religious information supporting anything you've said. If you want me to believe a man in the sky who has no proven existence is the end all be all in the decisions of marriage, than you need to get to work on proving that.

And with saying that, I couldn't care less what religious views people have, AT ALL. I believe all people are allowed to do as they choose as long as the harm on the planet & other beings is minimal.

Two men or two women married has no effect on YOUR religious relationship to your God, at all. Pray for them if you wish, but don't repress them with non religious laws.

And ditto to all this, too!
Momma2Chase and Dandelion like this.
__________________
Thank you Jaidynsmum for the beautiful siggy!
Check out the Attachment Parenting Board for Effective Parenting Solutions.
PM me if have questions about autism, TTC gender swaying, natural childbirth, going "vaccine-free", or if you are looking for gentle discipline advice.

Last edited by alittlelost; March 27th, 2013 at 07:12 AM.
  #29  
March 27th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,725
I'd just like to say... you can't say you support gay people and in the same sentence say that you think it should be illegal for them to have equal rights a.k.a. you think same sex marriage should be illegal. Those 2 things contradict each other. If you love your gay and lesbian friends, you should want them to have the same basic HUMAN rights as you do.
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
  #30  
March 27th, 2013, 07:18 AM
c'est_la_vie's Avatar Is it nap time yet?
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: EARTH
Posts: 27,742
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
I'd just like to say... you can't say you support gay people and in the same sentence say that you think it should be illegal for them to have equal rights a.k.a. you think same sex marriage should be illegal. Those 2 things contradict each other. If you love your gay and lesbian friends, you should want them to have the same basic HUMAN rights as you do.
That whole thing they wrote just made me feel like she just simply tolerates their existence but views them as lesser beings, not equals. That is not support at all! Its REPRESSION! Ughh.
__________________
Mommy. Vegan & Straight Edge. Doula & Placenta Encapsulator. Animal Rights Activist.



  #31  
March 27th, 2013, 07:21 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Virginia
Posts: 5,682
*Jamie has to keep her mouth shut or she will get in trouble*

But lets just say: DITTO to the lovely ladies above me...
Hesperleigh, Dandelion and mom2K&G like this.
__________________


*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*




  #32  
March 27th, 2013, 07:22 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Neverland
Posts: 2,725
Quote:
Originally Posted by c'est_la_vie View Post

That whole thing they wrote just made me feel like she just simply tolerates their existence but views them as lesser beings, not equals. That is not support at all! Its REPRESSION! Ughh.
Exactly. I smell a troll, if I'm being honest.
__________________

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
  #33  
March 27th, 2013, 07:36 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 1,073
Welcome to the group???

I am a practicing Christian and am honestly a little offended by your statement that God defines marriage as between one man and one woman. That is not a quote in the Bible at all, and many people use "related" quotes to defend their opposition.

The most commonly quote passage is that of Leviticus, and if you actually read the entire book and various scholars interpretations, you will see that it is commonly inaccurately interpreted. You cannot take pieces of writings without context. You must understand first the times of Leviticus as well as what was occuring at the time. Biblical historians say that at the time of Leviticus homosexual temple prostitution was running rampant. The book of Leviticus starts with “You shall not do as they do in the land of Egypt" and when read in textual and historical context, the prohibitions in Leviticus 18 and 20 are clearly directed at homosexual temple prostitution, and that is how they should be applied. When taken out of context, the literal words are misconstrued.

Would Jesus really discriminate? Jesus loved all and there are chapters in the Bible which even reference his blessings on a homosexual couple (read Matthew 19:10-12). I encourage you to read the Bible and corresponding interpretations that may be outside of your bubble. Do you know that not too long ago the Bible was quoted to affirm slavery, deny women the right to vote, and prohibit interracial marriage??? Obviously we know now that was dead wrong and that we as a society misinterpreted those passages. Cultural prejudice at work.

I long for the day when this debate will be a distant memory and we cannot even fathom, as a culture, that this was an acceptable social discussion.
__________________

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19
Induction Date: 08/21!!!!
  #34  
March 27th, 2013, 07:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,795
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahijesus View Post
Dear ladies,
I guess I am the first one to respond the other way, since you asked for honest opinion; I am here to explain why I believe gay marriage should be illegal. I am not going to judge anyone, but if someone ask me to explain why I believe, what I believe, I guess I should explain my side, right?
Yes I have command to love everyone as a Christian, and I honestly try to do that (I fail sometime as a human), believe me I love my gay and lesbian friends. However I am totally against them getting married. Many of you asked, why people could be against some innocent loving people getting into marriage, well the reason is because marriage is defined by God, and the founders of this country as ďa covenant between one man and one womanĒ, and there is a strong reason behind it. however if you choose not to believe this, than there is nothing wrong in gay marriage, but there are people who believe that marriage is a covenant meant for life, and it has many rules and regulations.
There are people who believe in something called open marriage, and they have a reason to say why they believe it, but may be most of us wonít agree for that, because we think marriage is between only two people. In the same way ,we believe marriage is suppose to be between a man and a women, That is why I think gay marriage should not be legalized.
Also there are many many research coming that is explaining the link between homosexual relationship and AIDS, sexually transmitted disease, drug dependency, mental illness, what not( I am in no way saying all the gay couple are prone for this) but we all agree with the ratio right?
Now if you want me to explain more, I can but I guess I proved my point, but please donít mistaken me by thinking, I hate gay people, I donít, but I donít approve their actions, One other person asked shouldnít we love them, is that not what Jesus told us, yes Jesus did say love everyone, but He never said affirm every behavior. Simply we love sinners but hate sin (I know I am a sinner too).
Thank you all for letting me explain my side of the argument, and I am open for comments and criticism, but pls donít curse. Thanks again.

The comment highlighted is what I want to focus on. I'm not sure where you get your facts or information, so please feel free to enlighten me, but, when the AIDS epidemic first broke, it was meant as a means to identify MEN who were engaging is Homosexual relationships outside the marriage. Now this is complete conspiracy theory, but it is the one that has made the most sense from what I have read. What the researchers did not take into account was that these men that were cheating on their wives with other men would then go home to their wives and spread the disease. (Now once again, complete conspiracy theory that I read.) http://www.time.com/time/specials/pa...861031,00.html

Drug dependency has nothing to do with Sexual orientation. Nor does mental illness. (Mental illness is the field in which I'm obtaining my PhD for practice. ) Now if you look at Mental Illness and/or Drug Dependency you will find that MOST of these are from hereditary issues. If you have a parent who was addicted to Alcohol or Drugs, MOST likely you will face the same afflictions. If you have a family member who has suffered from Alzheimer's or Huntington's chances are you will have that illness later in life.

That being said, sexuality is not a hereditary marker. It is not congenital. It is a marker in your DNA that has been set there from the time you are in the womb being created by GOD, for those who don't believe in God-sorry for the statement, to come into this world. It is not a chemical imbalance in the brain. It is not a disease that can be treated. We are not in the 50's or 60's anymore where people who are homosexuals are sent to mental illness facilities to "cure" them.

This is not meant to offend anyone, but when comments are being stated that are going into areas that I am studying, I have to put in my 2 cents. Everyone has a right to believe what they believe, however when you are stating contradictions in your comments it does raise eyebrows.
__________________
Closed Topic

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:51 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0