C-Section Birth Plan

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By 84oilymom
  • 1 Post By 84oilymom
  • 2 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By KMH
  • 1 Post By 84oilymom

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 1st, 2013, 07:25 PM
84oilymom's Avatar Veteran
So I finally finished my birth plan after reading some c-section horror stories. I skipped the hep B vac with my son, but I think I am going to allow all the vaccines this time. I am going to paste it below. Tell me what you think or if I may have overlooked a detail.

My husband and I are looking forward to sharing our birth experience with you. We have created this birth plan in order to outline some of our preferences for birth. We would appreciate you reviewing this plan, and would be happy to do so with you. We understand that there may be situations in which our choices may not be possible, but we hope that you’ll help us move toward our goals as much as possible to make this birth a sacred experience. We would like to be informed of any procedures or medications in advance, and to be allowed the chance to give our informed consent. I would like to avoid morphine and codeine due to the side effects it gives me. Nubain is my preferred pain reliever after surgery. Please feel free to ask if you have any questions or comments. Thank you!
During/After Surgery
• Please ensure all medications are suitable for breastfeeding
• I’d like a non-drowsy, anti-nausea med if possible (Zofran)
• Please reinforce my uterus and use dissolvable stitches for closing me up (double suture on my uterus and suture on the outside instead of staples.)
• I prefer a spinal versus epidural.
• I would like for pictures or video to be taken of delivery.
• I would like for forceps and vacuum to only be used if absolutely necessary.
Baby
• Please lower the screen just before delivery so I may see the birth of our baby.
• I ask that the surgery be performed slowly and if possible allow the cord to continue pulsing after the birth so Baby may start breathing on her own while still attached to the placenta.
• Please allow for skin-to-skin contact immediately after delivery and evaluate Baby on my chest, (If this is not possible – then father would like skin-to-skin contact)
• Keep cord long for daddy to cut while baby is in my arms
• If a situation arises that baby must be separated from me, please allow my husband to travel with her.
•
Recovery
• Once back in our room to recover and been checked as stable, we would like to be alone with Baby to nurse.
• We would like to keep Baby with us at all times. If Baby must go to the NICU due to medical reasons, my husband will follow.
• If someone arrives to visit, please check with my husband or I as to whether we are ready for company before allowing them in our room.
• We would like baby’s bath to be done at bedside after the first feeding.
• I will be nursing on demand and whenever Baby is fussy to help stimulate my milk to come in and to soothe Baby.

April 1st, 2013, 07:29 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
it looks great! may I ask why you are getting the hep b vax this time? It's not necessary. You may want to watch the video story at iansvoice.org before jumping on board with that. Finally, I would have them read the birth plan to you and then quiz them on it later, because in my experience hospitals and doctors completely ignore birth plans.
April 1st, 2013, 07:34 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
I think this is a great birth plan and great that you have it down already...I feel so very behind I have done some thing about mine but not much yet.

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 1st, 2013, 07:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
it looks great! may I ask why you are getting the hep b vax this time? It's not necessary. You may want to watch the video story at iansvoice.org before jumping on board with that. Finally, I would have them read the birth plan to you and then quiz them on it later, because in my experience hospitals and doctors completely ignore birth plans.
Well, my daughter had all her shots and vaccines just becuase of my lack of knowledge. When I had my son, I declined hep b and vitamin k as well as the eye cream. Later upon my son entering kindergarten I was unable to enroll him until I consented to the hep b vaccine, although they accepted my waiver for the hep a. They would only allow waivers for hep b if it was for religous reasons. So I think versus rushing to do it later, I may go ahead with it.

Honestly, I am still undecided. 15 tuesdays to decide :-)!
mrskfet likes this.

April 1st, 2013, 07:48 PM
if you are getting vaccines, you can get hep b anytime in the 3-5 years before they start school. Doesn't have to be when your baby girl is minutes old I'm glad you at least know exemptions are an option, though
April 1st, 2013, 08:03 PM
Okay, I was on the fence about it, and I will take it as a sign that you called me out on it. Birth plan revise!!! Thanks! I really was battling with this decision and hubby was no help.
kenasmommy07 likes this.

April 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM
I would just tell your Pedi that you skipped it (if you do) but that you still want to get it before your child starts school (and what age you think that will be). They'll make sure to get it done in plenty of time for that By all means, if you want to give it at birth, go ahead, but I say if you have doubts don't do it because it's one of the more controversial vaccines given at one of the more controversial ages.
kenasmommy07 and 84oilymom like this.
April 1st, 2013, 09:27 PM
Super Mommy
This is just a question for my information, as I've never had a c-section: do they use forceps or vacuum for c-section deliveries? I didn't know that! I'm learning stuff from you guys all the time.
April 1st, 2013, 11:14 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'd actually omit the baby's bath completely. I've done a lot of research and there is no reason to bathe a newborn after birth. it's actually not good for them. They only do it because baby is considered a "bio hazard" before they are bathed and the nurses dont want to touch them which heck i think thats good

April 2nd, 2013, 02:10 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
it looks great but you still have time to make and change whatever changes you want
April 2nd, 2013, 04:57 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Looks great!!!!
April 2nd, 2013, 05:15 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsmckenzie1 View Post
Well, my daughter had all her shots and vaccines just becuase of my lack of knowledge. When I had my son, I declined hep b and vitamin k as well as the eye cream. Later upon my son entering kindergarten I was unable to enroll him until I consented to the hep b vaccine, although they accepted my waiver for the hep a. They would only allow waivers for hep b if it was for religous reasons. So I think versus rushing to do it later, I may go ahead with it.

Honestly, I am still undecided. 15 tuesdays to decide :-)!
Dear Lord, that just put it in perspective how close we are to being finished! Now I've got to do my birth plan lol
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 2nd, 2013, 05:34 AM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I don't really need a plan with my homebirth but I'm planning to write a c-section plan to go over with my midwife for the just in case situation. I know one thing that I really want would be immediate skin-to-skin and if for some reason I was unable to do it, I want my husband to be able to do skin-to-skin.

April 2nd, 2013, 07:16 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyFantasticFour View Post
I don't really need a plan with my homebirth but I'm planning to write a c-section plan to go over with my midwife for the just in case situation. I know one thing that I really want would be immediate skin-to-skin and if for some reason I was unable to do it, I want my husband to be able to do skin-to-skin.
Most people don't do that, but I think its a very good idea to have a plan for more than one situation!

April 2nd, 2013, 07:49 AM
TTCMA Cheer Captain
*lurking*

I don't know if it is standard in your hospital, but in many it is common to strap your arms down during the c-section. I had it in my plan to leave my arms free...being strapped down would freak me out. They were happy to allow me to do that.
Tinky likes this.

Melissa & DH
IVF babies Claire (4), Abigail (2) and George (2)

April 2nd, 2013, 03:23 PM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Great plan! You've got me thinking, as there are many things I want to make sure happen or don't happen in case for any reason I'm not able to be conscious to make sure they implement. (Slight chance of emergency situation at delivery, yuck)

If you're waivering on the hep b, them just wait until baby's blood-brain barrier is formed well after age 2.

April 2nd, 2013, 06:37 PM
carolinashore's Avatar Veteran
This is my 2nd c/s with my current doctor (a different practice delivered my 2nd DS), so I have a pretty good idea of what to expect with her. I do plan to ask that they not strap my arms down (she didn't require it with my oldest DS), and I really want them to lower the screen so I can see him being born.

April 3rd, 2013, 05:59 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't even know that it was even a possibility for Dad to cut the cord during a c-section. I know that when we asked with my DD, my husband wasn't permitted to, because that would be breaching the sterile operating field and could introduce infection.

April 3rd, 2013, 04:57 PM
Veteran
My partner cut the cord after my c-section. If I do have to have a c-section again (I am trying for a vbac) I really want to have a mirror so I can see the whole thing. This time I delivering at a different hospital.
April 3rd, 2013, 06:20 PM
bookreader,

Yes they will use a vaccuum or forceps if the baby is positioned to high up in the birth canal.
Bookreader likes this.

Last edited by 84oilymom; April 4th, 2013 at 02:53 PM. Reason: typo

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search