Childbirth classes??

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2K&G
  • 1 Post By mamalamb
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By LadyGamer
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 2 Post By Hesperleigh
  • 1 Post By KASHWORTH

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 4th, 2013, 02:20 PM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
Who is doing a child birth class? Or who has done one in a previous pregnancy?

Is it worth the time and money? What do you actually learn besides breathing? lol
Generally how long was the class?

April 4th, 2013, 02:30 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I personally never did one. I wont be doing one this time around either because I will be having another c section.
I just figured the nurses and doctors would help me breath if I needed too.
miniRazz likes this.

April 4th, 2013, 02:37 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
They are helpful for a lot of people.

That said- I have taken several and when the real you-know-what hit the fan and I was actually in labor, they were not helpful at all LOL!!!
miniRazz likes this.

April 4th, 2013, 02:38 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first, I took every class offered. We took a delivery class, carseat class, breastfeeding class, CPR & First Aid and one more that I can't remember. I liked all of them and didn't regret taking any of them. They were worth it to me, but I like to be 100% prepared and know the kinds of things to expect.
miniRazz likes this.

April 4th, 2013, 02:50 PM
I'm torn whether to take a class or not...

I'm thinking there has to be things that I can learn and I think it would be helpful for SO since he has absolutely clueless lol

April 4th, 2013, 02:59 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I'll be listening and following Hypnobabies, but not any real class thing.
Husher likes this.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

April 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
I'm considering doing this. There aren't a lot of actual class options here, they're not convenient for me, and of course they're expensive. So I figure doing this on my own would be a good middle ground.

The hospital offers a labor and delivery class, but I think it's more of a "here's what happens" rather than "how to handle it" kind of thing. I'll definitely be going to it, but I could use a bit more, given that I'd like to go as natural/med-free as possible.
April 4th, 2013, 03:12 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniRazz View Post
I'm torn whether to take a class or not...

I'm thinking there has to be things that I can learn and I think it would be helpful for SO since he has absolutely clueless lol
That's a lot of why we signed up, he hadn't ever been around babies and after trying for 3 years to get pregnant, we were both pretty eager to learn

Oh and our classes were covered by our insurance, I think we had Aetna at the time, or United? I'm not sure. But it's worth a shot to ask your insurance provider.
miniRazz likes this.

April 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We are contemplating an online class that we can dip into at our leisure. I would love to take a proper in-person class but time constraints with our schedule means that it isn't possible.

April 5th, 2013, 09:43 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We took one and actually made a good friend while doing so. Our boys still play together! I think, for me, it was more of knowing exactly what was going to happen. I never really used the breathing techniques.
BeachMum and miniRazz like this.

April 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
Thanks Ladies, its always helpful to get different opinions about these kind of subjects!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyGamer View Post
What is Hypnobabies???

April 5th, 2013, 02:11 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not this time but I did with DS and I felt like I learned a lot, especially because it was my first kid. The one I did was long but they had like a whole 'package' thing where I got the hospital tour, birth, baby care, breastfeeding, and car seat class all together.
miniRazz likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
April 5th, 2013, 02:59 PM
mommymichael's Avatar I am strong.
For me it's less about any breathing techniques and MORE about learning my options and helpful information about my choices DURING the birth. If you don't know your options, you don't have any. Otherwise the doctor could come in and say "we're going to do this, this and this..." and if you didn't know you didn't HAVE to do that... you'd just have to go with it trusting that what he said was all the full and accurate information.
I experienced this with my daughter's hospital birth. After having had two homebirths (and also using Hypnobabies) I knew what my options were. The dr comes in saying he's going to pop my water, give me cytotec and start me on pit. I said, "No. I want my water intact, no cytotec and I'm cool with pit. So what other options will you give me?" We went with waters intact, no cytotec, manual dilation with a foley cath and pit. Best decision ever.

Hypnobabies is using medical hypnosis for birth. The whole program is insanely detailed though. You learn about nutrition, exercise, information for the birth partner, risk/benefits of routine hospital procedures etc. Here I'll just insert a link They have both a live class and a homestudy program - I used the homestudy because there were *no* instructors in my area and I loved it. This will be my 4th "hypnobaby"

LINK
From this page:

"1) There is a great deal of very important information which is designed to educate our wonderful moms why and how their hypnosis tracks work, what order to listen to them in, what information and suggestions are in each track, why each track is important in the program and…

2) How excellent nutrition, exercise and staying healthy & low risk factor into having a safer pregnancy and a much easier birthing…as well as…

3) The risks, benefits and alternatives to common obstetrical procedures and how they affect a normal birth, including thorough consumer issues which present valuable ways to be proactive in creating a more comfortable birth. The understanding of how to easily take responsibility for the decisions made in pregnancy, childbirth and post-partum is critical (for all moms) in creating a much calmer, more relaxed and comfortable birth experience and more positive communications with birth care providers…and…

4) Optimum Fetal Positioning techniques which often make all the difference in the world to excellent birth positioning for baby and therefore an easier (non-surgical) birth.

5) Other subjects covered in Hypnobabies which are all crucial to the efficacy of a positive birth preparation process are:

• Comfort in Pregnancy • Detailed Birthing Choices • Creating Informed Consent • Avoidance of Toxic Substances • Turning a Posterior Baby • Stages of Labor • Anatomy and Physiology of Birth • Prenatal Parenting • Avoiding Back Labor with the Abdominal Lift and Tuck • Baby Kick Counting • Belly Mapping • Birth Empowerment Skills • Birth Plans & Baby Plans • Touring the Birth Facility • Doula and Midwifery information • Avoiding Induction and Cesarean Section • Delayed Cord Clamping and other Baby Kindness information • Using hypnosis for 3rd stage • Comprehensive and detailed birth preparation and labor support training for Birth Partners • A 28 page Quick Reference booklet for labor"
Wife, Mommy to Roan, Willem, Trillian & Baby #4 Due Aug 2013
April 5th, 2013, 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommymichael View Post
For me it's less about any breathing techniques and MORE about learning my options and helpful information about my choices DURING the birth. If you don't know your options, you don't have any. Otherwise the doctor could come in and say "we're going to do this, this and this..." and if you didn't know you didn't HAVE to do that... you'd just have to go with it trusting that what he said was all the full and accurate information.
I experienced this with my daughter's hospital birth. After having had two homebirths (and also using Hypnobabies) I knew what my options were. The dr comes in saying he's going to pop my water, give me cytotec and start me on pit. I said, "No. I want my water intact, no cytotec and I'm cool with pit. So what other options will you give me?" We went with waters intact, no cytotec, manual dilation with a foley cath and pit. Best decision ever.
Wow thanks, you have made my decision to definitely do a class or hypno babies. I'm going to go to the link and read up a little more about it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search