Not doing the GD test.

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Bookreader
  • 1 Post By Dandelion
  • 2 Post By .H.e.a.t.h.e.r.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 7th, 2013, 05:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
Is anyone declining, is it even an option?

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
April 7th, 2013, 05:34 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
i declined in my last 2 pregnancies. they won't let me decline this time...
April 7th, 2013, 05:43 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Just saw this! Ironic cause I just posted about it lol

I won't decline but I don't think I'd be allowed to anyway

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 7th, 2013, 05:54 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
question.. why would you decline?? I know for me, with my 2nd dd, I passed the one hour just barely. She was born 9lbs 2 oz and got stuck coming out (common in GD babies- big shoulders)..basically, I am pretty sure I had GD but it was undiagnosed. . my 3dd, I failed the 1 hr and the 3 hr.. I put off doing the test for a very long time for two reasons- having to go without eating for a VERY long time, having to sit in the office for 3+ hours, having to drink the yucky drink, AND figuring I would fail it and have to go on the diet, monitoring, etc.. BUT- when I went on the GD diet, I lost 7lbs and felt SOOO much better. I also had no idea it would actually harm my baby by making her blood sugar drop when she came out, or her getting stuck, etc.. I also didn't know that was what was making me gain weight so rapidly and feel so crummy. Not sure the reasons you would want to decline, but hopefully my post will help. I don't do anything of the other testing, but I will do the GD when they finally offer it- even though I try to eat what I am supposed to.

April 7th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We aren't given the option. My doctors office requires it to be done between 24-28 weeks.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 7th, 2013, 06:32 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just never went for it with my second. Every appt they'd tell me I needed to do it and I'd nod my head but never go. But now that the lab is in the doc office I'll probably do it this time, just to get me time for an hour or two.

April 7th, 2013, 06:35 PM
Super Mommy
I'm not declining, either, because I failed the 1 hour with DS, barely passed the 3 hour, and then was diagnosed with PCOS 3 YEARS after DS was born. They put me on Metformin, and I have been so much healthier this pregnancy, gained less weight, and felt awesome. I wish they would have discovered it earlier since it has made such a difference in my life.
I had a friend almost decline, then her nurse talked her into it anyway, and she has a very extreme case of GD. She's already started having problems with possible preterm labor.
I understand why people would decline the test. It's a pain in the butt and makes any pregnant woman feel like crap. But I think the alternative problems are worth considering.
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
April 7th, 2013, 07:10 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am not declining the test because you never know. What if I had GD but didn't get the test done? Things like that freak me out. I never found the test to be that bad.
BeachMum likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
April 7th, 2013, 08:29 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am absolutely going. I wouldnt even think of declining. GD can be really bad for babies. My mom had it with me and she was 5'10 and 125lbs and super healthy being in the Air Force!! It can happen to anyone. It scares me. I am cool with anyone who decides they want to decline.. not judging.. Im just paranoid about that one.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; April 7th, 2013 at 08:32 PM.
April 7th, 2013, 08:31 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I declined it last pregnancy and plan to decline this time as well. I have PCOS, but have never had ANY issues with my blood sugar - except with my first pregnancy I was borderline on my first GD test and was told the metformin I was on could screw with the results. They took me off the met and retested and it was fine. My midwife checks my blood sugar periodically. Personally, I just feel it's one more test that I don't need and have no interest or motivation to go through the testing process. I also feel it's over diagnosed, every dr seems to have a different "cut off" level and it makes things more dramatic than necessary at delivery.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; April 7th, 2013 at 08:33 PM.
April 8th, 2013, 03:19 AM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
I had it done at 12 weeks because of my hypothyroidism, which I guess makes me more prone to GD. It really sucked at the time because my morning sickness was still pretty bad, and the drink sure didn't help. Ended up falling asleep in the waiting room which helped pass the time, though! Results were good, but I think I still have to do it again at the normal time.

Honestly, though, as annoying as it was at the time, I sure wouldn't want to decline it and miss something that's so easy and noninvasive to test for and treat.
April 8th, 2013, 07:01 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I decline. I feel like the test is unnecessary, the results can be off and doctors/mw's can't decide what the cut-off number is. I pretty much follow a "GD" diet naturally anyway, and have the ability and knowledge to test my own bs if necessary too.

I have had two very large babies and never any issues with GD (in earlier pregnancies I was tested as it "wasn't" an option or I just wasn't aware). One was 10 lbs 5 oz and another was 11lbs 8 oz. I just grow 'em big.
#12 is on the way
April 8th, 2013, 08:39 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't decline, I don't particularly love the drink but to me, it's not worth it to decline.

April 8th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I won't decline but it is an option at my birth center

April 8th, 2013, 12:47 PM
soaringphoenix's Avatar Mother Reborn
For me the pros outweigh the cons so I won't be declining.
April 8th, 2013, 12:57 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
Ugh I hate that test! I was 1 point under from the failing score and they made me do the 3 hour test. I passed that with flying colors with DS.
At first I was going to decline with this pregnancy but I guess I will just take it and be done with it. I have no risks for diabetes. It doesn't run in the family so no risk factors. I'm not too worried about. Apparently because of the size of DS ( 9ibs 9oz) they are encouraging me to do it. So i will.

April 8th, 2013, 01:07 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I declined it last time and I'll decline it again. It's definitely an option. No test is mandatory. I have no risk factors so I feel it is unnecessary.
alittlelost and mom2K&G like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search