Name Help Please

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 8th, 2013, 07:17 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
DH and I are having a really hard time picking a name for this little guy. For a while almost nothing was good enough, but DH has steadily been suggesting Christian as his favorite first name. I actually really do like this name, but we have a tradition of choosing a first name that's a little different, and then a solid, more common middle name, that also has an emotional meaning to us.

Here are the names of our older sons:

Bryson Thomas (Bryson is much more popular now, but when he was born, it wasn't so common) - Thomas is my DH's middle name
Emory Christopher (Emory is still not not even in the top 1000 names, which I *love*) - Christopher is the boy's godfather's name

Obviously, it's not the most important thing for us to pick a name that's different, but I really dislike the idea of our kids going to school and there being several other kids with the same first name. I just remember when I was a kid that there were always multiple "Brandy", "Stephanie", "Chris", "Michael", etc. names and I always wanted our own kids to be a bit different, but not really weird.

So anyway, Christian is growing on me, but it's SUPER popular, which kind of bothers me. Last night DH agreed that if we did choose Christian we would give him the middle name Wyatt, named after my grandfather because I was very close to him and it really means something to me. I really do like the sound of Christian Wyatt, but I still get stuck on the fact that it's so popular.

Another name we were considering was Holden. DH was on board for a few days but when he found out the meaning of it was nothing positive (it means "hollow in the valley" or something like that), he changed his mind about it, which really makes me sad because I really loved the sound of Holden with Bryson and Emory.

What do you ladies think? Can you give me some suggestions for first names? Or do you think I should just ignore the popularity thing altogether? Does anyone else get hung up on that, or is it just me?

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

Last edited by Husher; April 8th, 2013 at 07:21 AM.
April 8th, 2013, 07:23 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
HOLDEN is my #1 favorite boys name in the entire freaking world!!! Seriously. I die a little inside when I see other people being able to use it and I can't (not even because she's a girl; Hubby vetoed it totally in general :'( )

Also, about 6 years ago a friend and her hubby were havng issues deciding and her DH liked Christian a lot but she didn't because she wanted something more creative... so they compromised a bit and named him Tristan instead. Had the same general sound that her hubby liked, but was a little more creative for her tastes.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
I really like Christian Wyatt (even though its popular) I'm a sucker for family names though so using the grandfather name went straight to my heart. My son middle name will be Nathan short for Nathaniel which is my grandfather name.

April 8th, 2013, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love Christian and honestly in my daughters entire school of 540, we only have 2 kids named Christian so around here, it's not that popular.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 8th, 2013, 07:48 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I love Christian as a first name and that was on my boys list as the number one name.

April 8th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
I love the name christian. I also love the name Tristan. You could really do a lot with the Istian sound to make it less popular but still very nice. Even Just Istian by itself is not unheard of. Bastian? Or do you like the first part of the name sound dbetter, the Chris part?

My ex SIL is named Tristin and so in her honor our little guy is going to be Korbyn Tristin-Lee Travis. (Travis is our last name) For Tristan, I have a TR sister who used that as a middle, and my sisters BFF sons First name is Tristian.

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
April 8th, 2013, 08:15 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like Christian. I didn't know it was that popular. I think a lot of the popularity stuff is regional though, too. Our boy name was going to be Evan. The middle name would have been Leland after my grandfather. Boy names are hard!

April 8th, 2013, 09:15 AM
Boy names really are hard! Maybe I should just ignore the popularity thing, because I really do like the name. I don't know why it's so hard for me!

April 8th, 2013, 10:00 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
HOLDEN is my #1 favorite boys name in the entire freaking world!!! Seriously. I die a little inside when I see other people being able to use it and I can't (not even because she's a girl; Hubby vetoed it totally in general :'( )

Also, about 6 years ago a friend and her hubby were havng issues deciding and her DH liked Christian a lot but she didn't because she wanted something more creative... so they compromised a bit and named him Tristan instead. Had the same general sound that her hubby liked, but was a little more creative for her tastes.

Tristan is my cousins name and was a little more popular in the 80's because of Robert Scorpio from General Hospital his real name is Tristan Rogers

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 8th, 2013, 10:05 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
I understand how you feel about popular names when I named my DD Aiyana I knew of none and when we moved and she got older she met more and more 2 her age but most are younger. I agree that names popularity is regional my name is Shireen here it's not popular but I found out from meeting different people that its a Persian name and is very popular over there ! I really like the name that you all put together and I bet it will not be that popular in school with him or amongst the people he grows up with.

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 8th, 2013, 12:58 PM
onemoremakesfour's Avatar ThreeBoys
I have kids ages 5, 10, and 14 so I hear a lot of boy names through their school and sporting activities.

In all honesty I only know of one Christian and it's spelled Cristian. I don;t think it's as popular as you think it is and it sounds very nice
April 8th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Thanks so much ladies! I'm feeling a little better about it now. I use the US census to look up name popularity and they are always a year behind, but it does seem like name popularity is regional at times.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search