I have questions!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree21Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 9th, 2013, 07:21 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Cloth Diapering Mamas
Have you ever used a pocket diaper as a diaper cover? I've read mixed reviews about doing it and would like to know of your experiences

BF Mamas
Do you also pump as well? If so, what kind of pump would you recommend? I'm not looking to spend too much and I'd be happy with a manual pump. I'm leaning toward the Lansinoh because most of the reviews are good but I've heard great things about the Medela as well.

BTDT Mamas
I know we have a thread out there somewhere for this, but what items are baby necessities in your opinion? What items are unnecessary? What items are most commonly received at the baby shower and what items should DH and I start stocking up on?

All Mamas
Is it just me, or do we not have very much time left to get everything situated before we meet our babies? Where did the time go?!
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 9th, 2013, 07:25 AM
Veteran
I have many of the same questions you have, Brielle! Thanks for posting! Will keep my eyes peeled for responses from the ladies

And I totally agree with how fast time has flown! We haven't even started on the nursery and I really wanted to start at least a small stockpile of diapers. I have done neither of these things yet!!
mrskfet likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Veteran
I have many of the same questions you have, Brielle! Thanks for posting! Will keep my eyes peeled for responses from the ladies

And I totally agree with how fast time has flown! We haven't even started on the nursery and I really wanted to start at least a small stockpile of diapers. I have done neither of these things yet!!
April 9th, 2013, 07:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For BTDT, the diaper genie was so not necessary. I've never had a changing table for either of the first two, but the nursery set came with one this time so we will be giving it a try.

To stock up on now, diapers. As newborns you will most likely want to use disposable. Because of the Meconium and other newborn poops that you may not want to try washing out of cloth. (Cloth mama's may feel differently, so double check what they suggest!)

Wipes. If you are using flannel wipes for you to wash and reuse, make sure you have plenty on hand. If you are using disposable wipes, grab a couple of boxes to have on hand.

Breast milk Bags. Sometimes things come up, or you can produce a lot of milk, for some moms, they feed and pump so they can store. The bags are great for this. Plus it helps if you and DH want a date night without Jace so they are already marked and stored for whoever sits for you. (Not to mention a great help for daddy who wants to help feed too!)

Nipple cream. Your nipples will get sore from feeding. They can crack. Nipple cream will help with all that!

If I can think of other little things, I'll post. I'm sure others on here have far more advice when it comes to BF and CD than I do!
Husher, mrskfet and Bookreader like this.
April 9th, 2013, 07:39 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I have used a pocket diaper as a cover, but depending on the diaper it may not work. Some pockets are very slim fitting and narrow through the middle, which means they may not enclose a fitted or prefold as well as a wider cut cover would. Pocket diaper shells also make great swim diapers fyi As mentioned with the meconium, many cloth diaper mamas use disposables for the first few days, but I will say I had NO staining from it and no difficulties washing it out. So we will use cloth from day 1.

This will be the first time I will need to pump as a breastfeeding mom. In the past I have only pumped a handful of times - I suck at pumping. I'm not 100% sure what pump I will get. I really like Avent, but I may go through my insurance company and get whatever they will provide for free (check with yours, they should offer some kind of pump). Medela is a great pump as well. I don't know a whole lot about the lansinoh ones.

I am fairly minimalist as far as baby gear. My must haves: crib, clothes, carseat, carrier, cloth diapers. Hey, they all start with C! hahaha Beyond that, I consider it all luxuries. We use cloth wipes, a high chair is a good idea later on when they start solids, but not necessary before hand, strollers are nice for some things, but mostly I baby wear. Swings/bouncers again are nice, but not required.
mrskfet likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 9th, 2013, 08:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
For me I liked the lansinoh pump but I think mine is broken (sounds weird) so I am going to be applying for one through my insurance as it will be free.

For necessities, I think everyone is different but definitely stock up on diapers and wipes. As far as equipment I love my baby bjorn carrier and was delighted that I didn't sell it. It was wonderful to use when Maddie was a newborn right up to about 4 mths when walking the dogs, so i had free hands. I honestly used that more than a stroller/travel system in the early days.

Also have lots of big swaddle blankets. Avoid the small ones as they are useless and don't stay wrapped. I also got a lot of use out of my boppy and still have it. It was great for breastfeeding and for sitting up baby on her playmat on the floor so she could see what was going on and also for tummy time to help her with holding her head up.

Also slightly TMI, but stock up on maxi-pads for you after you have the baby. Take advantage of sales going on at CVS etc so that you have enough to take care of business for the weeks that will follow.
mrskfet likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 08:20 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BF Mamas
Do you also pump as well? If so, what kind of pump would you recommend?

I have a pump, insurance sent it to me free, I believe its a Medela something or other. Works great. Its about $250 though. I only used it a few times with my youngest, like when he wasnt ready to eat but I needed some relief.

BTDT Mamas
I know we have a thread out there somewhere for this, but what items are baby necessities in your opinion? What items are unnecessary? What items are most commonly received at the baby shower and what items should DH and I start stocking up on?

Needs-
boppy! I not only used mine to help nurse and have baby lay on, but when I had my kids by csection, I couldn't lay flat for a week or two, so I'd prop my self up and put the boppy around my neck and use it as a pillow.
Bouncer- some people don't need them, but I did for my babies! Aso great for putting baby in and brining them to the bathroom to shower.

Not needed-
Wipe warmer and bottle warmer- baby gets used to it being warm and you are out and about and they get mad because its not warm.
Changing table- you'll most likely just use the couch, floor, bed.

My baby showers I got mostly clothes and bath washes.

All Mamas
Is it just me, or do we not have very much time left to get everything situated before we meet our babies?

Not just you! I realized if my doc decies to deliver at 36/37 weeks I only have 14-15 weeks left! 3.5 months! Thankfully I have everything but towels, clothes, and dresser. I'll need an exersaucer and highchair later on. I'm more freaking out tha I'll have 4 kids!
mrskfet likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 08:25 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm planning on using cloth from birth. So many of my cd'ering momma friends said the meconium doesn't stain and I'd rather stay in the habit with the cloth like I am with #4. I use mostly pocket diapers but don't use them as a cover, I use my covers for those because I can wipe them out, the pockets you can't.

My favorite must haves were a MOBY wrap when little and the ergo when bigger, a hooter hider (for bf'ing in public), lansinoh nipple cream, swing, pack n play. I'm sure there is more, that's just what I can think of.

I didn't pump much but I've used a medela PIS and an ameda purely yours, they were both pretty comparable. I did have a couple of handheld, but I got more out when using the electric than the manual, plus my arm got tired of pumping it manually. Look into your insurance company too because sometimes they will pay for your pump.
alittlelost and mrskfet like this.

April 9th, 2013, 08:27 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cloth Diapering Mamas
Have you ever used a pocket diaper as a diaper cover? I've read mixed reviews about doing it and would like to know of your experiences :

Not sure! we are just using covers with the PUL inside.

BF Mamas
Do you also pump as well? I never really pumped last time I BF because I hate it lol but the few times I did I used a medula electric one I rented.

BTDT Mamas
I know we have a thread out there somewhere for this, but what items are baby necessities in your opinion? Onesies, bibs, burp cloths, nipple shield for BF as a just in case thing to have on hand, etc

What items are unnecessary? Diaper genie, wipes warmer

What items are most commonly received at the baby shower and what items should DH and I start stocking up on? You usually get a bunch of cute outfits in small newborn sizes.

All Mamas
Is it just me, or do we not have very much time left to get everything situated before we meet our babies? Where did the time go?!

Not long now!!
Ray88 and mrskfet like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!

Last edited by Dandelion; April 9th, 2013 at 08:41 AM.
April 9th, 2013, 08:37 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Colliekat, you brought up another good question: what is postpartum like? Will maxi pads be the only thing I need or will I need other things as well?
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 9th, 2013, 09:03 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I completely agree about the wipes warmer. We found that to be a pain an totally unnecessary.

The things I couldn't live without are my Ergo, baby swing and bouncy seat. If I'm not wearing the baby, they are in one of the other two while I'm cooking, cleaning, doing something with the other kiddos.

With both of my other kiddos I tried to pump several times a week to have a stash in the freezer. It was perfect for those nights DH would take a feeding or when we needed time out of the house. Frozen breastmilk lasts for a while in the freezer, so it's great for stocking up! I've used two Medela pumps. The first one was one you could buy in the store. It broke when my oldest was 10 months old, but considering I used it nearly every single day, I was still impressed it last as long as it did. My second pump was a hospital grade Medela and I *loved* it. It was such a smooth pump compared to the first one! Definitely check with your insurance to see which one they have to offer you.

Random tip: Usually when pumping, you'd pump into a plastic container that screws onto the bottom of the pump, and then you'd put the lid on it and refrigerate it, or pour it into a breastmilk bag and then put it in the fridge/freezer. I saved a lot of time (and spilled milk! I'm clumsy!) by adding a long piece of tape to the sides of a Lansinoh bag and over the other side of the pump and onto the other side of the bag. Then when I was done pumping I could just close up the bag and not have to pour it into another container.

Hope that helps!
mrskfet likes this.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 9th, 2013, 09:08 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
Quote:
BF Mamas
Do you also pump as well? If so, what kind of pump would you recommend? I'm not looking to spend too much and I'd be happy with a manual pump. I'm leaning toward the Lansinoh because most of the reviews are good but I've heard great things about the Medela as well.
I haven't pumped before but everything I've heard suggests the Medela so most likely that's what I'll go with. Call your insurance company first and ask them if they're covering pumps! Apparently with Obama Care a lot of them are covering pretty decent pumps!

Quote:
BTDT Mamas
Necessities for us (you'll quickly see that some babies like things others don't lol): a SWING (lifesaver!), some type of a wrap (I didn't have one last time but I KNOW it would have been a huge help); baby gowns for sleeping during the warm weather (they also make diaper changes easy in the middle of the night!); a small caddy to keep on the first floor for diaper changes (we're doing 'sposies though... but I keep the lotions, wipes, diapers, etc in a little caddy so I don't have to run upstairs for a change); receiving blankets or a blanket specific for swaddling... I swaddle every new baby I see and have taught other mommas how to do it and they have praised me because it helps baby sleep so much better!; lots of onesies because baby will puke and poop and pee on everything! lol; pack n play is good to have if you visit family often; boppy...

Not baby related but before you have the baby stock up on Dermoplast (pain relief spray... many hospitals will give you 1 can at discharge but that is NOT enough lol), LARGE pads you will feel most comfortable in, underwear that you won't mind ruining (or disposable underwear... hospital will give you some too but may not be enough).

Unneccessary: Diaper genie; wipe warmer; diaper changer; one of those bottle warmers (NEVER worked!); shoes (unless you get the super soft soled crib shoes that are more decoration than anything lol. Chase was in PT for his entire first year because of bad torticollis and all of the therapists said NO babies should wear hard-soled shoes until AFTER they try to walk because feeling the floor on their bare feet is how they learn)

Things you'll get at your baby shower: Honestly, a lot of stuff you probably won't need or use for awhile! lol At mine, I got lots of photo albums, picture frames, toys/stuffed animals. I also got a lot of newborn sized clothes (which won't last too long) and, oddly, HUGE clothes (like 24 months!). I didn't get ANY diapers or wipes or blankets... a lot of that practical stuff got missed and I really didn't get any big ticket items (except my mom bought me the stroller/carseat, my sister got me the tub). I have learned to NOT count on your shower to get what you need! I have 3 separate registries for that reason... BRU and Amazon to pass onto friends and then another one just for DH and I to buy stuff off of (all of our big stuff mainly)

Quote:
All Mamas
LESS THAN HALF WAY TO GO FOR A LOT OF US!!!! Especially if you take into consideration it's perfectly normal to go into labor 2ish weeks early (especially BTDT moms)!

Actually... now that I think about it: I've KNOWN I was pregnant for 19 weeks already. I only have 18 to go! I think that's crazy!
mrskfet likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 9th, 2013, 09:53 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cloth Diapering Mamas
Have you ever used a pocket diaper as a diaper cover? I've read mixed reviews about doing it and would like to know of your experiences

Not a cloth mama here

BF Mamas

Kaiser is giving me one this time, but I had the Lansinoh manual and it worked well for me in the past

BTDT Mamas

NEED: Burp cloths, diapers, wipes, nipple cream, breast pads, dermoplast spray, maxi pads, a few bottles in case you end up needing them, gas drops, (for baby lol), stool softener (for you...TMI haha), bouncer seat, swaddling blankets (stretchy), onesies, sleep gowns, car seat, bassinet or pack n play (I prefer pack n play because it lasts longer), bath sponge that goes in sink or tub, Head to Toe baby wash...hmmm, I'll keep thinking.

WASTE: Infant bathtub, Diaper Genie, Wipes Warmer, Diaper Stacker, changing table, Boppy (for me, a lot of people do like them), Swing (again, none of mine ever liked it but some babies do), there is alot more, I'll keep thinking haha

All Mamas

Yes, it will be here before we know it, and some of us will probably go early!!!
mrskfet likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 10:13 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Cloth Diapering Mamas

I wouldn't do it personally as pocket diapers are more expensive than covers (usually) and you would need more of them because the lining cannot be wiped clean between uses, which means you only get one time use out of each cover before you need to wash. That said, it does WORK, but more as a one-time-use-before-washing cover.

BF Mamas

I have yes, and for anyone planning to pump I do recommend getting the Medela. The cheaper ones, which cheaper, were in my experience a waste of money. Better to pay more for one that actually works.

BTDT Mamas

I think it really depends on your desires and your baby's personality. For example, for us, MUST HAVES are pack and plays and baby swings, but other people might say a crib (which we never use). If you plan on anyone else feeding the baby, you definitely need bottles! You need a car seat no matter what, too. Strollers are another personality-dependent item. I can easily get by without one, but I like having them for the occasional "field trip" and to use for taking baby for a walk around the neighborhood. But I COULD totally get by without one. Other people will tell you that they absolutely could not live without one. If there are any items you are on the fence about, maybe you could start threads about each item, and moms can weigh in on those individually with why they think it's a necessity or not?

All Mamas

Uh, YEAH! Time is flying. I have almost nothing for baby because my advance money hasn't come in yet. It's making me anxious.

Building off what someone else said . . .

Meconium washes out REALLY EASY from cloth diapers,, and many CD mamas I know agree. This was a surprise to me. But if you don't think they will, for super cheap you can get disposable diaper LINERS or fleece liners you can throw away after the MP is gone.
mrskfet likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 11:13 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Cloth Diapering Mamas
Have you ever used a pocket diaper as a diaper cover? I've read mixed reviews about doing it and would like to know of your experiences. Yes I do for my son He is coverless (we use fitteds) at home, but when we go out he will wear a Sunbaby pocket without the insert as a cover. It works fine for us. Some people prefer a cover with leg gussets (sp) but if your diaper fits it shouldnt really matter. We are however buying newborn covers for Alice, we will probably buy more Sunbaby covers once she is in her OS diapers jsut because its cheaper/

BF Mamas
Do you also pump as well? If so, what kind of pump would you recommend? I'm not looking to spend too much and I'd be happy with a manual pump. I'm leaning toward the Lansinoh because most of the reviews are good but I've heard great things about the Medela as well. I got a Medela Pump in Style tote with my son, I tried pumping but it affected my ability to hold a steady supply with a good for and hindmilk balance. That said I am also a SAHM so I never tried to *make* pumping work. Many many mamas pump and breastfeed sucessfully. Now the Medela PIS was great, a really good quality pump and I highly recommend it. Pumping just didnt work out for us (my DS also refused ALL bottles)

BTDT Mamas
I know we have a thread out there somewhere for this, but what items are baby necessities in your opinion? What items are unnecessary? What items are most commonly received at the baby shower and what items should DH and I start stocking up on? You will get a **** ton of newborn clothes and blankets at your shower. Like, always. LOL. The biggest thing I see people say was a waste was the changing table, I absolutely loved ours and used it every day and still at 22 months use it for my son when he has poopy diapers. The biggest waste for me was a playmat, my son hated it and never played in it. However I am still getting one for Alice just because all babies are different.

All Mamas
Is it just me, or do we not have very much time left to get everything situated before we meet our babies? Where did the time go?! Time has certainly flown by! I cant believe it!
mrskfet likes this.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

April 9th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
Colliekat, you brought up another good question: what is postpartum like? Will maxi pads be the only thing I need or will I need other things as well?
Lots of maxi pads (the HUGE ones work best for the first week or so)
Hemorrhoid cream. Really. You slather that on the maxi pad, pull up your underwear and sigh in relief. It helps soothe all the down-there parts.
Nipple cream, nipple cream, nipple cream. It will be your best friend for a month or two.
Stool softeners!!! You'll never know how scary pooping can be until you're healing from childbirth.

Breastfeeding mamas:
I had the Lansinoh manual pump and loved it. It worked great, was easy to clean, and wasn't complicated to put together like some pumps are.

BTDT mamas:
Any type of warmer is a waste, I agree. Diaper genies just stink; I have mine away after 2 months because I hated it and never used it. I also found having tons and tons of bibs was kinda pointless. You'll need about 5-6.

Have-to-haves: burp cloths (I actually used cloth diapers because they are really absorbent and a lot cheaper than the "cute" burp clothes. A swing! I loved ours. Lots of onesies, rompers, or sleepers. They really are what your baby will wear the majority of the time. Lots of blankets!!! DS was a master pee-er, and soaked through almost every night. I got tired of doing laundry at 3 am because we were out of blankets, and went and bought tons more. I'm pretty sure we have enough for our twins.
From showers, you usually get a ton of cute but impractical outfits, and then a smattering of random things. Stock up on diapers, wipes, and clothes up to 6-9 months or so. By the time baby is that age, you might be willing to venture out with them to buy new clothes.
mrskfet likes this.
April 9th, 2013, 02:19 PM
mrsmckenzie1's Avatar Veteran
Cloth diapers: well i have never used pockets for covers but prefolds with thirsties duo covers or flip run about the same as a pocket cover. As far as the meconium i am purchasing disposable liners to place in cloth diaper for first two weeks.

Breastfeeding: i have always used medela but i am trying to find a cheaper option this time.

Btdt: i absolutely have loved my swing. I would then also suggest a boppy or a bouncer lie baby in so they are elevated. I would stock up on wipes and bibs. As for the baby shower i would say newborn and three month clothing bathtub diapers and toiletries.

Time flying... april 30 i will have 90 days til csection.... thats like a layaway!
mrskfet likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 02:22 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For pumps I found that you pretty much get what you pay for. I learned my lesson by going with a cheap one and then ending up buying a better one later. When I first had DS I rented one from a lactation consultant and it was a SUPER expensive one and it was so awesome to help my milk come in and was a cheap option to rent. After that I used a Medela pump, which I loved! I have the electric and manual. I forget which one I hated, I think it was an Avent one.
mrskfet likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
April 9th, 2013, 05:47 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post
Cloth Diapering Mamas

BF Mamas

I tried the pump with my first daughter, but was told my dr. at 3 months to stop bfding since I got pg again, but had blighted ovum, milk ran out... I had a hand pump think it was Medela. Tried it with 2nd daughter, but 2nd and third daughter NEVER would take a bottle or pacificer. I think it was because I wanted them to be so well established bfding, I waited too long- I do think the hand pumps are tiring, and the electric ones are real nice, but expensive. I think this time, I'll just catch the "stream" when I have let down and store some up incase this baby will take a bottle.

BTDT Mamas

everyone has different opinions. You'll prob. get mostly clothes at baby shower. So if you want diapers/wipes make sure you make that well known. My babies never fit in the newborn size and didn't wear size 2 very long.. diaper genies are a waste of money. Just use plastic grocery bags.

All Mamas
Myself, it seems like I have forever. I haven't done basically anything to prepare.
mrskfet likes this.

April 9th, 2013, 07:15 PM
Veteran
I've never used pocket diapers as covers, so I don't have advice on trying that. I think they are often more narrow and might not hold a prefold very well.

As far as pumping, I've never used a manual pump. I think it would be incredibly frustrating and time consuming! I'd only go that route if you only anticipate pumping very infrequently. My first pump was an Ameda Purely Yours (packaged under the Lansinoh brand) and I can't recommend it. It broke while still under warranty and was replaced. Unfortunately it fell off the couch soon after my second son was born and I had to replace it myself. This time I got a Medela Freestyle double electric and I really love it. I hope it still works! It is very expensive, but I really love it.

As far as what you need and what you don't need... there is so much you don't need on those "must have" lists you get when you register. I think the biggest wastes are devices that perform one thing only - wipe warmers, bottle warmers, bottle sterilizers, fancy diaper pails, fancy bath tubs, bumpers, infant shoes. And we've never relied on things like swings either.

I must be in the minority, but I use my changing table every day. Maybe it's because I cloth diaper, so I need to get a diaper, wipes or put a dirty diaper in a wetbag. It's just easier to keep it all in one place. I have a changing table with open shelving and baskets and I've always liked it. I think we might get rid of it for this baby though, only because we got a new large dresser that can also serve as a changing table and store the diapers.

Besides the obvious, I'd say that really nice, big swaddling blankets are essential for me. We use them all the time to swaddle, cover baby, nursing cover, play mat, etc.
mrskfet likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search