Cloth Diaper Mamas

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 13th, 2013, 12:38 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What is your laundry routine for the dipes?

I still haven't perfected getting them super clean / ridding the ammonia smell and I'm starting to think maybe not buy the new baby cloth diapers and just give up. I must be spending much more washing them a million times and a million ways.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
April 13th, 2013, 12:50 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I can't even remember! HA Guess I'll have to look up some old posts where I wrote it down...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 13th, 2013, 01:22 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What kind of diapers do you use?
What materials are they?

Once I know that, we can work from there I have tons of tips but it really depends on the answer to those questions...
April 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never been a cloth diaper person, too lazy... but, I know that vinegar added to your wash gets out all kinds of odors and softens!

April 13th, 2013, 03:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
What kind of diapers do you use?
What materials are they?

Once I know that, we can work from there I have tons of tips but it really depends on the answer to those questions...
I only have Fuzzibunz

April 13th, 2013, 04:05 PM
Let me guess . . . microfiber inserts? If that's the case, all you really need to do is replace your inserts with a natural fiber (which will ALSO be trimmer and more absorbent). If you don't mind folding your inserts before inserting, you can do "flip daytime organic inserts" which will be super trim, super absorbent, and wash like a dream!

Dealing with the Stinkies
For stink buildup, you can also do a vinegar wash or use RLR to strip your diapers (or strip using dawn dish detergent--yes, it has to be dawn!). Wash hot with the vinegar/RLR/Dawn (1 teaspoon plus 1/2 cup of bleach, inserts only), then do two additional hot washes. BUT with microfiber stink is a curse that is not easily resolved--the stink will come back, and having to strip your diapers is time consuming and not worth it when you can just buy natural fiber inserts. I WILL NOT buy anything with microfiber and anything that comes with microfiber I replace with natural fiber inserts. Then I don't have to do anything special to wash.

For the washing schedule:
Wash diapers at most every 2 days. I tend to just do a small wash every day, then I'm in no rush to dry things., Drying things outside also helps get rid of stink. So say I have enough diapers for two days. Let's call the first half of the stash Stash A and the second half of the stash Stash B. I use Stash A on day 1. On day 2, I use stash B. While using Stash B, I wash Stash A and put it outside to dry. When mostly dry/dry, I pop in the dryer for a bit for soften up/finish drying. On day 3, I use Stash A and give Stash B the same washing treatment I did the day before. Of course, you can do this switching every 48 hours instead of every 24, but I wouldn't want to wait more than that. If you change your inserts, you will NOT need to do any of those stripping things I talked about before, or if you do it won't be often. Keeping natural fibers, especially flats (which can be used as inserts in pocket diapers) makes it almost impossible to get stink in the first place.

For the washing routine:

Step 1: Normal Cycle (full wash not pre-wash) on Cold with 1/4 the recommended amount of detergent the manufacturer recommends (or if you use a diaper detergent, such as Bum Genius, just use one scoop).
Step 2: Normal Wash, detergent again, on hot.
Step 3: Second Rinse (no detergent, any temperature)
Step 4: Line Dry per suggestion above, if you can, if not, just toss in the dryer. Really, the line drying probably isn't necessary at all if using flats for inserts or natural fiber inserts instead of microfiber. (Really, microfiber is the DEVIL.)
Step 5 OPTIONAL: For inserts only (again, probably not needed if you re-stash your inserts to natural fibers) ONCE A MONTH use 1/4 cup of bleach in the hot wash cycle.

That looks long and complicated, but once you know what to do, all it really is is this:
Replace Inserts.
Wash every 1-2 days.
Cold wash w/detergent, hot wash w/detergent, second rinse w/no detergent.
Line dry if possible, then fluff OR just dry in your dryer.
Optionally use 1/4 cup of bleach in hot wash once a month for inserts only.

If you don't replace the inserts, yeah, it's a bit more complicated because you'll need to strip when the microfiber gets the stinkies and the line dry MIGHT be necessary at that point and the bleach once a month will probably be a must instead of optional.

I hope this helps! Once you try this though you'll be surprised how easy it is

Last edited by alittlelost; April 13th, 2013 at 04:09 PM.
April 13th, 2013, 04:11 PM
Yeah I as thinking about getting the natural fiber inserts but I am scared to waste money and have the same problem

April 13th, 2013, 04:17 PM
would something like this be good? would they work with fuzzibunz? do they work the same as the microfiber ones?

http://www.cottonbabies.com/product_...oducts_id=2497

April 13th, 2013, 04:40 PM
You will NOT have the same problem.

the babykicks would work, BUT here would be my top recommendations:

Flip Organic Daytime Insert (requires folding but you could probably wash these just in water and still not get stink issues lol) 3 for $19 = $6.50 each.
http://www.diaperjungle.com/Flip-Org...rt-3-Pack.html

Capri inserts, pack of 2 for $12 = $6 each:
http://www.nickisdiapers.com/capri-i...-two-pack.html

Minky inserts, made for fuzzibunz actually lol (3 for $12 = $4 each) may be less absorbent than the last 2 options BUT cheaper and equally as absorbent as the inserts you have now.
http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/813482015253.html

If you are happy with Fuzzibunz products overall, you might like the minky inserts because it's cheaper than the other 2 options, just as easy (or easier, due to material) to stuff in the pocket, MADE for fuzzibunz diapers, and no microfiber (so handles your stink issue), which being just as absorbent.

Hope this helps!
April 13th, 2013, 04:41 PM
You will NOT have the same problem.

the babykicks would work, BUT here would be my top recommendations:

Flip Organic Daytime Insert (requires folding but you could probably wash these just in water and still not get stink issues lol) 3 for $19 = $6.50 each.
http://www.diaperjungle.com/Flip-Org...rt-3-Pack.html

Capri inserts, pack of 2 for $12 = $6 each:
http://www.nickisdiapers.com/capri-i...-two-pack.html

Minky inserts, made for fuzzibunz actually lol (3 for $12 = $4 each) may be less absorbent than the last 2 options BUT cheaper and equally as absorbent as the inserts you have now.
http://www.fuzzibunzstore.com/813482015253.html

If you are happy with Fuzzibunz products overall, you might like the minky inserts because it's cheaper than the other 2 options, just as easy (or easier, due to material) to stuff in the pocket, MADE for fuzzibunz diapers, and no microfiber (so handles your stink issue), which being just as absorbent.

Hope this helps!
April 13th, 2013, 05:08 PM
Those Minky ones looks just like the ones I have now. Thanks for the suggestions. I will talk to DH about trying the Minky ones. FB works for us and we have tried one other that we didn't like. I'd like to try some other stuff with the new baby but not sure what yet

April 13th, 2013, 05:21 PM
If you zoom in, you'll see they are a little different

You can also ask him to try one pack (3) and then see how those are doing in a few weeks compared to your other ones
KASHWORTH likes this.
April 13th, 2013, 05:46 PM
I was thinking of getting some charlie bananas. Does anyone use those?

April 13th, 2013, 06:50 PM
I haven't tried them, but I'm pretty sure they use microfiber inserts, too, which will create the same problem. But they are really cute and I've heard good things about them, fit-wise and quality-wise
April 13th, 2013, 07:07 PM
Veteran
I am seriously considering investing in a bunch of Charlie Banana for the new baby. I don't use them personally but a boy that comes to the parent child center where I work does, so I often use them on him. He and his mom both seem very happy with them! I am going to ask her more about them, but have been looking for good deals. The boy is about a year and half now and has been using them exclusively since he started at the center at 8 weeks. My biggest concern is whether they will really fit the new baby from infancy through potty training, especially as my son is always quite large for his age!
April 13th, 2013, 07:18 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used Charlie Banana with DS and had ammonia issues. We use bamboo fitteds now and have no ammonia issues. I have always heard/been told that ammonia is pretty common in microfiber and eventually you just have to restock the microfiber because you never really get rid of it. However DS had PUL issues so I never used them long enough to know first hand how to deal with it. I hope you are able to find something to fix the problem!

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

April 13th, 2013, 09:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I haven't tried them, but I'm pretty sure they use microfiber inserts, too, which will create the same problem. But they are really cute and I've heard good things about them, fit-wise and quality-wise
Yeah but I can get natural fiber ones to replace it with, I'm just thinking of getting more and FB are so plain

I'm thinking those minky inserts should work with the charlie banana too

April 14th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Definitely! Most inserts work with most pocket diapers the Charlie banana are so cute! I almost got some fb for the great colors though lol
KASHWORTH likes this.
April 14th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Super Mommy
I am so glad we have experienced moms here. We are going to be using cloth diapers and I have no idea where to start. After my wedding I will be needing to start getting ready for baby and will need all the good advice I can get. ��
April 14th, 2013, 12:13 PM
We love cloth diapering. It is easy and doable if you stay on top of it. I wash a load every day. I keep a bucket with a bit of water,vinegar and baking soda over the washing machine to toss them in throughout the day. I like to cut my own fleece rectangles to put inside for the poopies bc this helps the poop slide right off into the potty before being placed in the soaking bucket. Over the years I have collected so many brands for cuteness and just to try something new too. My favorite brand for everyday use by far is Kushies. The insides are made of many layers of 100% cotton fleece. My original set is still bright white and look new even after being used with many kids. I like that they use Velcro to fasten and are easy to put on like disposables. For long night wearing we use homemade wool or fleece wraps.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search