Husband and I Can't Agree on Name!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By yvee80

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 15th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Veteran
So when we didn't know the gender, we were able to narrow down a boy name incredibly easily. We couldn't even start on agreeing on a girl name and figured we'd cross that bridge if we came to it. Well, we're here....

I have plenty of names that I love. Cora, Edith, Amelia, Yvette, Evelyn, Vivian, Layna, Ginette, Margo, Elsa....the list goes on (sense a vintage pattern?)
My husband doesn't like any one of those I've listed and many more I haven't listed. The problem is, he can't come up with almost any alternatives. He doesn't really like *any* girl names, and the only names he's suggested so far that he doesn't actively dislike are Cassie and Catherine (I don't like either of those).

I'm starting to get VERY frustrated with this and told him a few weeks ago that he was expected to come to the table tomorrow with 20 names he liked (I'd come with 20 as well) and then we'd switch papers and cross off 2 at a time. He told me 20 names were impossible, so he's coming with 10. I have a feeling when we meet tomorrow he won't even have 5 names he likes on paper.

Any ideas on how to handle this? I know we have almost 4 more months, but I'm getting really impatient and want to start giving this baby an identity! I also don't want to be stuck having to choose a name that only he likes because he's unable to find the beauty in the myriad of names out there.
April 15th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We struggled for a while with names but finally did choose one.

I'd probably keep with your list and if he doesn't have any on his then he'll have to help narrow yours down!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 15th, 2013, 10:46 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
aww, I hope you can settle on a name. Maybe you can go similar to the names he likes?? For example.. I have always hated how Catherine looks as a name (sorry if anyone has this name) but my sister's name is Kathryn.. It is the old British way of spelling it and her middle name is Elizabeth.. I like the way that sounds.. Maybe look into vintag-y names that start with C? BTW- I do love your name choices.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
April 15th, 2013, 10:55 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like your names! Hope you can agree soon!

DH and I were having this issue at first. I like the vintagey names, too, and he kept telling me things sounded to "latin"? I don't know what that was supposed to mean. I mean, they were all old English names. And what's wrong with latin names?! Men are dorks sometimes. He actually ended up suggesting Audrey and I think it's classic, so it stuck. I'm really excited about it. Hope you two can agree soon!

April 15th, 2013, 11:11 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
DH and I couldn't really agree on a girls name either (but like you, we had a boys name picked!), so I gave him a list of the names I liked for reference and then told him to pick the name himself lol

He ended up picking something that we both had on our list anyway, so it worked out!

What about each of you picking a name? You pick first, he picks middle?
Tinky and mom2K&G like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 15th, 2013, 12:36 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
I hope you all can come to an agreement on a name it does get frustrating, I know!!! Love Yvette but I am totally bias because that is my middle name !
mom2K&G likes this.

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 15th, 2013, 12:56 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I really like your name choices! I think the vintage girl names are so classic and beautiful. I really hope you guys can come to sort of agreement. We agreed on a girls name easy.. but a boy took us awhile to find the we really loved. Good luck!

April 15th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Tinky
Good Luck. We have been name discussing for years, literally. It still took some time to settle on a name and the name happens to be one manbeast didn't like 2 years ago. Do you remember Losts list awhile ago? she had it broken down into names that were ok, etc. maybe you can give him your list and he can go through and mark each with a rating of like 1-5? Any names he gives a low rate to HE has to come up with an alternate that he likes??

Robert 17,
Heaven-Leigh 15
(TL 1.11.98)
(TR 10.26.06)
Raymond 5
Alexavier 3
Stoney 2
Korbyn 28 week miracle 5/17/13
April 15th, 2013, 07:58 PM
Super Mommy
Since your hubby doesn't care for 'girl' names maybe try names that can go boy or girl, and then use the more vintage name as a middle so when she grows up if she wants a more sophisticated feminine name she can use her middle? My daughters name is Ryann Olivia... And we are looking at names like that for this baby too

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search