Baby Carriers

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By mom2K&G
  • 1 Post By Husher

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 16th, 2013, 08:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Let's talk baby carriers. I wanted to get a Beco but I want to hear some other opinions first. I have a sling for around the house but I want something more sturdy and durable for hiking, but it also can't be too thick and bulky because it's very hot in AZ. What do you like to use?

April 17th, 2013, 05:50 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I currently have two carriers. I have a Baby Hawk and a Maya wrap. The baby hawk is more sturdy though.

You can choose your own designs and it's super comfy!!

http://babyhawk.com
kjm likes this.

April 17th, 2013, 07:10 AM
Veteran
I have a few carriers. My oldest is an Olives and Applesauce. I also have a Babycurean carrier with my alma mater's logo. It's a Baby Hawk "Oh Snap" and I still use it with my almost three year old on occasion, so it's good for carrying even toddlers.

I also have a Mei Tai by Baby Hawk that I got since my last baby was born, so I haven't used it yet. And I have a Moby wrap.

I'd like to get a long sling, like a Maya wrap. I'd also love a Kinderpack carrier, but since I don't really need it, I probably won't be able to rationalize spending $170 on a carrier.
April 17th, 2013, 07:15 AM
Veteran
For hiking, I think a soft structured carrier is a good option, especially if you get one that might fit your husband as well. I do think my Baby Hawk is very sturdy and my husband can wear it (though he's probably at the max size that it'll work with as he's 6'3" and around 240). Also, Kindercarry has carriers that have a mesh center panel for warmer weather. She stocks her carriers every Thursday and nice prints/sizes go quickly. You can look up Kindercarry on facebook and see when and what the next stocking is.
April 17th, 2013, 07:45 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm on the lookout for something good hiking. I have a Moby that I love when they are little and an Ergo that I love too. I'm still wearing my 18 month old in the Ergo.

April 17th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Depends on the size of the baby for me. I don't like met tais for tiny babies and prefer a wrap style for long periods of time. Once they are 6 months + I prefer mei tais for long carries. I'm not a fan of ergos or similar, for some reason they make me feel claustrophobic and awkward.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 17th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Oh yeah the Ergo was the other one I was thinking of. The problem is I just think that a baby would be cooking in those, there's no air flow at all, it's like 118 degrees here in the summer

April 17th, 2013, 09:35 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My little guy isn't hot in the Ergo but he did get pretty hot in the moby in the summer.

April 17th, 2013, 01:08 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
It doesn't get nearly as hot here as it does in AZ, but I really do adore our Ergo. I honestly can't wait to use it again. I never had any trouble getting overheated in it, but again, I don't live in your climate. We usually use a ring sling for around the house when the baby is super small. (so...I probably wasn't much help, huh? )
kjm likes this.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 17th, 2013, 04:21 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
The SSC I'm getting is similar to an Ergo, but Pognaes are built more for smaller framed people (they're a Korean brand) and it has this "cooling vent" thing for more air flow--a flap on the butt that unzips and is mesh underneath. I'm hoping that'll help some by the time summer comes around. Also they're less expensive but I've heard really good things, which is nice.

Also planning a couple of different styles of wrap carrier, but I'd prefer something structured for hiking.
April 17th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Veteran
I have the Beco, but didn't get it until my son was almost a year. I LOVED it. Much more comfortable then a frame career and so small and easy to keep in the car. I don't know how it works for infants though. I am hoping to borrow a moby wrap from someone for the tiny infant stage.
April 17th, 2013, 06:27 PM
twinkle23's Avatar Super Mommy
I love ergo's, and BabyHawk's.

Hugabub is awesome for the early months, well any woven wraps
Im in Australia, so gets quite hot here and never had an issue with heat x

April 17th, 2013, 11:44 PM
Veteran
I would like to get a carrier too but can't figure out which one. I only have a baby bjorn, (which I do not like) and the moby which is too hot to wear around here too.
It's hard trying to figure out what is best and knowing it's going to be an expensive mistake if you choose the wrong one.
I don't think my hubby would wear baby much, but if he did he is 6'4.

Lanae: Mommy to Ethan, Will, Alex and Surprise baby GIRL due August 15, 2013!

April 18th, 2013, 06:06 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
For those with tall husbands: One of my best friend's husband is 6'4 and he never had an issue using the Ergo either. They are actually the ones who introduced me to it!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 18th, 2013, 07:31 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I got the Boba off of Mamabargains recently, so haven't tried it out yet. I think it is similar to the Ergo? That is what I was going to originally get.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search