Breastfeeding!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Let's talk breastfeeding...

What are your tips for FTMs or Moms who are going to BF for the first time?

FTMs and new BFing mothers, what are your questions for our Pros?

I'm going to be BFing for the first time and my question is: How long does it typically take for your milk to come in?

And what exactly are nipple shields for?! lol
mommy_to_nico and mrskfet like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 18th, 2013, 04:48 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My milk usually comes in at the 3 day mark

Nipple Shields are usually made of silicone I think? They look like a plastic nipple, and go over the top of your real nipple. They help with problems like latching, flat or inverted nipples, etc.

My questions are:

1. What is the absolute earliest you can introduce a bottle of pumped milk and/or a paci to a bf baby?

2. When/how often to pump if baby will be mainly bf but I also want to build a small supply up for occasional pumped bottles, going out, etc?
Jhendrickson likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
Those were my questions too Jamie!

Another question I have: is there any way to prevent your nipples from cracking? And how often should you rotate breasts? I read somewhere in another thread about foremilk and hindmilk and I think hindmilk is more important but harder to get to...?
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 18th, 2013, 04:52 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
I'm a FTM, but I've started going to La Leche League meetings and it's already proving helpful because I'm being exposed to other moms' problems, tips, joys, etc. I know there's only so much I can do to prepare, but every baby is different, but I think I'll be in much better shape than if I hadn't been doing this. It's also helpful to form relationships with other new moms, though that's more critical for me here just because I know so few people.
April 18th, 2013, 04:54 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Another question I have: is there any way to prevent your nipples from cracking?
I don't know if you CAN avoid it LOL. Making sure your latch is correct will help, from what I have heard, and using nipple cream/lanolin definitely helps.

April 18th, 2013, 04:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I attempted with my son (he ate way too often and my milk dried up quickly due to going on the pill, no one told me it stops your supply) and so when my daughter was born I knew I wanted to definitely try!

We made it to 13 1/2 months

My milk came in, I think, around day 3-4. Nipple shields do help with incorrect latch and sometimes help with the pain that is usually associated with a wrong latch, suck, etc.

As for binkies, I've heard not to introduce one until at least 2 weeks old in order to help avoid confusion, however I also read that the nursing latch and the latch required for a binky are completely different so some babies have no trouble at all. My daughter never used a binky so I'm not really a true help there. I don't know anything about pumping (this will be my first time attempting it).

As for the nipples cracking, rub a small amount of breastmilk on your nipple right after feeding and it might help. Most of the time if you're cracked or bleeding, it means the babies latch is incorrect. You can also contact a la leche league for more breastfeeding help in your area!

My daughter was a one sided nurser and I just switched each time she nursed. If I started with the left, she nursed til she was done. Next time, we started with right. She never took both at one feeding the entire time we nursed.

I'm no expert but those are my advice tips
miniRazz likes this.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 18th, 2013, 05:00 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Let's talk breastfeeding...

What are your tips for FTMs or Moms who are going to BF for the first time?

FTMs and new BFing mothers, what are your questions for our Pros?

I'm going to be BFing for the first time and my question is: How long does it typically take for your milk to come in?

And what exactly are nipple shields for?! lol
Keep going, if it hurts remember it gets better! If you supplement you're going to diminish your supply. My milk was in right away. I believe nope shields should only be used when needed, not sure when they are needed though.

April 18th, 2013, 05:02 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Colostrum comes in right away. I don't know when my milk came in, but it was there when it needed to be
April 18th, 2013, 05:03 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post

1. What is the absolute earliest you can introduce a bottle of pumped milk and/or a paci to a bf baby?

2. When/how often to pump if baby will be mainly bf but I also want to build a small supply up for occasional pumped bottles, going out, etc?
When your breastfeeding relationship is established. If it still hurts, babies not latching right 100% of the time, or not nursing right don't introduce those things, and when you do have daddy do it while you are in another room.

That would depend on how long you'll be out and how much baby is eating. If you'll be out for 3 feedings you obviously need to have had pumped 3 times. Other than that I don't know haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrskfet View Post

Another question I have: is there any way to prevent your nipples from cracking? And how often should you rotate breasts? I read somewhere in another thread about foremilk and hindmilk and I think hindmilk is more important but harder to get to...?
Its best to use one breast a feeding. Switch breasts at the next feeding. Cracked nipples, express some milk and rub it on the nipples, it helps! I just read so e where the lanolin (sp?) isn't as safe as it should be, but there's some organic brand out that's good.

April 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
All questions that I would have asked as I am breast feeding and pumping for the first time. I got lost at the hind milk and fore milk have never heard of this before. DH is kind of bummed he will not get to do a feeding with the baby for awhile when I start pumping and storing milk for outings and when he and my DD wanna feed the baby. I have an inverted nip on one side but since becoming pregnant it seems like the tissue has loosened up on its own under the skin and it is now matching my other side (maybe TMI) but its exciting, I had looked into the nipple shields and they do from what I hear help a lot with inverted and flat nips

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 18th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Addressing some questions Keep in mind these recommendations are for typical situations. Sometimes there are special situations that call for different advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post
My milk usually comes in at the 3 day mark

Nipple Shields are usually made of silicone I think? They look like a plastic nipple, and go over the top of your real nipple. They help with problems like latching, flat or inverted nipples, etc.

My questions are:

1. Best recommendation around 2-6 weeks. *IF* breastfeeding is going fantastic go ahead and start with an occasional bottle (like one every other day). If things are still rough, wait a little longer. Too early and you risk a baby refusing to breastfeed, too late and they may refuse the bottle. Pacifier is similar. If breastfeeding is going great, you can add a pacifier, if not, it may make things more difficult.

2. Usually it's easiest to pump in the morning (if you can figure it out, pump one side while baby nurses on the other).

Quote:

Yes, it's possible to avoid nipple damage. BUT it's not always easy to do. The key is having a good latch. If it's hurting the entire feeding, baby is not latched well and you will end up with issues. If it continues to hurt more than the first 30 seconds or so, take baby off and try again and get help if needed.

You should nurse on one side until baby is no longer actively swallowing/drinking. (you can use breast compressions to encourage them to stay longer) Then offer the second breast. They may or may not want it. Either way is fine. Just start on the least used breast the next feeding.

Hindmilk/foremilk. They aren't really two different types of milk. There's no point at which one stops and the other starts. It's simply referring to the gradual increase in fat content throughout a feeding (not a drastic increase, but an increase). As the milk fattens, it becomes harder to get out, but is more filling and more helpful for weight gain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvee80 View Post
All questions that I would have asked as I am breast feeding and pumping for the first time. I got lost at the hind milk and fore milk have never heard of this before. DH is kind of bummed he will not get to do a feeding with the baby for awhile when I start pumping and storing milk for outings and when he and my DD wanna feed the baby. I have an inverted nip on one side but since becoming pregnant it seems like the tissue has loosened up on its own under the skin and it is now matching my other side (maybe TMI) but its exciting, I had looked into the nipple shields and they do from what I hear help a lot with inverted and flat nips
Encourage DH and your DD to bond with baby in other ways. They can do things like swaddling, baby wearing, skin-to-skin contact, etc... that can encourage bonding until the breastfeeding part of things is established!

If possible, try to avoid using nipple shields. If it's the only way to get baby to latch and breastfeed, go ahead. They can interfere a little with supply and correct latching, impact baby's innate instincts, and are hard to wean off of. BUT, I would rather a mama be using a nipple shield than not breastfeeding!
yvee80, mirdeemrlvs, Ray88 and 2 others like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 18th, 2013, 10:56 PM
Veteran
With my first son my milk came in on about day 3, with my 2nd day 2 and the 3rd almost 24 hours later.
With my first I had cracked nipples after about 1 week, it didn't happen immediately. It hurt so bad during the latch. Once they are on it wasn't really bad. (Make sure baby opens wide and gets the areola not just your nipple.) It DOES get better though. Don't stop!! I used lanolin and tried rubbing breastmilk on them. Sometimes they need air too and not to be covered by pad all the time. Also make sure baby releases your nipple before coming off, especially when they are sore/cracked because that really hurts too. If you are ready to change sides you can break the suck/suction by putting your finger in their mouth and opening it a bit before any movement is made.
With my 2nd/3rd (7 years later) I did not get sore nipples when beginning breastfeeding, for whatever reason. Just that first kiddo.

I would not offer a pacifier for several weeks. You should BF for nourishment and comfort to make sure you get a good supply established before moving on to that.
If things are going well I would feel okay trying a bottle at about 3/4 weeks too, and continue offering one at least once a week. I didn't do it enough with my oldest son and he wouldn't ever take a bottle.

I never had a lot of success with pumping. Maybe I have a crappy pump? I could get 3oz-5oz/session in the first couple weeks and then it became harder and harder to get much of anything. Since I stay home with my kids and EBF I don't really need much milk saved up, but despite that, a pump is a must in the beginning to relieve engorgement.

I would avoid a nipple shield unless it is really necessary, like baby is born early, had tongue tie, inverted nipple etc. It can be quite a challenge, if it happens at all, to wean baby off of it later. My SIL is stuck dealing with this now with her preemie.

At first, you will feel like all you do is nurse your baby all day.... because you pretty much are. You will feel so tired and maybe touched out. Try to enjoy the forced breaks and quiet time snuggling your little one though. It really won't last forever.

I agree with the comment above about letting baby finish a side and then switch to the other, then starting on the opposite side the next time. In the hosp they like you to time things and switch sides after so many minutes. Not sure that is the best method in making sure baby gets to the hindmilk so I would follow baby's cues and not the clock so much.

It is such an awesome experience and bond with your baby. I love it and will be sad when it's over for good with this last baby.

Never be afraid to ask questions or seek help. I think sometimes women feel they are getting too much pressure/unsolicited advice about BF'ing but other times it seems like not enough advice or help was available for first time Moms starting this journey.
If something seems off or you are struggling, mention it here or call a lactation consultant.
My SIL's baby was 3.5 weeks old and refusing to nurse at all besides one or two sucks. She mentioned this to the Ped several times and they kind of blew it off... oh she is a preemie, give her time to wean from the bottle, she will be less sleepy soon, yadda yadda. It was just discovered by a lactation consultant (within minutes) that baby actually has tongue tie in 3 places and couldn't nurse!! As soon as it was cut she could finally latch correctly... however she now prefers the nipple shield since she has had a bottle for the last month. Why no DR picked up on this is beyond me, especially since she was in the NICU for days and had numerous appointments! So frustrating!.... So I now say, ask a LC, don't always trust Drs know exactly how to handle your BF situation.
Babsbabies likes this.

Lanae: Mommy to Ethan, Will, Alex and Surprise baby GIRL due August 15, 2013!

April 18th, 2013, 11:11 PM
Definitely ditto on not taking 100% of your doctor's word on breastfeeding. Most of them (unless they specifically go out and get it) only get a short lecture about breastfeeding during all of medical school. And for doctors who went to medical school say 20+ years ago, that information is probably wrong. OBs are sometimes better educated about breastfeeding, but not always. So if a doctor is telling you something that sounds off or is telling you that you HAVE to stop breastfeeding, get a second opinion from someone who is trained in lactation. WAY too often I have clients who are told by pediatricians to supplement or stop breastfeeding for absurd reasons and it's something I can't really argue with because most women don't understand how little education doctors have in that department...
Babsbabies likes this.

April 18th, 2013, 11:33 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
Thanks everyone for posting this!!!!

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

April 19th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Super Mommy
Very helpful post. Thanks!

April 19th, 2013, 05:22 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
I agree, this is a very informative thread! Thank you!!

Since milk seems to take a few days to come in, what do we do in the meantime? Do we still try to breastfeed even though there's nothing in there? Will that make the supply come in faster?
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 19th, 2013, 06:12 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My milk came in 48 hours with all of them, with a vengence, it hurt and Dolly Parton had nothing on me! HA! Your breasts will produce enough just nurse, nurse, nurse. The first 6 weeks were rough but it DOES get better and easier (typically). I've nursed 3 of my 4 and it was a magic thing at 6 weeks and like AHHH it's so much better.

I nursed on one side only to make sure baby was getting the hindmilk (the fatty milk) and offered the other side when baby came off, I didn't set a time, I didn't watch the clock, that gets too stressful to have a set time. I nursed on demand when needed and they fell into their own pattern.

Make sure you take care of yourself, you will be more hungry than you were pregnant, it's OK to eat, just try to eat more healthy options and drink that water. Sleep when you can and rest your body.
Husher likes this.

April 19th, 2013, 06:16 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:

Since milk seems to take a few days to come in, what do we do in the meantime? Do we still try to breastfeed even though there's nothing in there? Will that make the supply come in faster?
There is something in there though! colostrum (liquid gold )! They get that and their little tummies can't hold much those first few days any ways. I always nursed from day 1 even though my milk didn't fully come in until day 2 or 3.
mamalamb, miniRazz and Babsbabies like this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
April 19th, 2013, 06:34 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yes, definately nurse from day 1! Colustrum is just as important as breastmilk and its the beginning step for infants!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 19th, 2013, 08:13 AM
Quote:

Like others have said, you have something there! When people refer to "milk coming in" they are talking about when your mature milk supply starts to be produced, which normally takes 2-5 days. Colostrum is basically concentrated milk and other fantastic things that's available immediately (you are producing it now in fact!). It's usually yellowish in color and thicker. The amount is very small, but so is baby's stomach. At birth their stomach is about the size of a chickpea, so they don't need much.
Babsbabies and 4littleloves like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search