Random pains... sciatic?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 20th, 2013, 08:02 PM
round2t's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First off I have never had sciatic nerve pain in my entire life so I am not sure if this is what I'm experiencing or not... I called my mom because she works in a chiropractors office and is quite knowledgeable about anything nerve related and she said it sounds like sciatic nerve pain and it's probably from baby's position.

Anyway it's very hard to explain so bear with me as this might just make absolutely no sense. Basically the pain is only on my right side... hurts terribly but is easily relieved when I lay down. When I'm standing up it's like a... tingly almost throbbing pain but not so much throbbing if that makes any sense? It's in the back of my thigh / bottom of my buttcheek area and radiates down my leg but not really into my calf or anything. The best way I can explain it is it feels like a super painful pressure or feeling like when a limb is asleep and starts coming back (not the tingly feeling that makes you laugh, the one that hurts!) Or like when you have a bad sinus infection and you put your head near the ground... ridiculous analogy I know but I can't explain it any better! Oh also it's not constant... dealt with it for a few hours today which was horrible and once yesterday too but not for long.

Does it sound like my mom is right? If not, what does your sciatic nerve pain feel like? For some reason I always thought that was a pain in your back

Oh and while we are on the topic of pain, does RLP ever bother anyone else besides the sharp stabbing type? I have a pain in the lower part of my abdomen (right side also) that doesn't bother me without movement but when I move or cough, laugh, whatever... or even when i push on it, it hurts. It feels like when I've had cysts in the past but I've also had this type of pain with constipation, only this time... I don't think I'm constipated. Just wondering if this could be a different type of RLP.

Wow it seems like I'm falling apart. Sorry for all the complaints! Pregnancy is just really starting to kick my butt these days. Thanks ladies

April 20th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
My sciatic pain feels like a pinched nerve just above my butt cheek... It can hurt anywhere along that line. The nerve runs from the back of the pelvis to the ankle

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; April 20th, 2013 at 08:40 PM.
April 20th, 2013, 09:15 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My sciatic pain is a bit different- it's only my ride side from my hip down to my knee (but on the back o the leg), and its an intense sharp pain that can (and did!) literally bring me to my knees... Mine happened with movement- rolling in bed, standing up, and sometimes if I was super lucky it would happen while walking lol

I saw a chiropractor for it (I was pg with Chase-- managed to avoid it thus far this time though) and it helped a lot!

Yours sounds similar but maybe more mild?

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 21st, 2013, 06:52 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Yeah, it can feel numb, tingly, sharp, or throbbing.

Mine has always been a very sharp pain shooting down my right leg, at one point it made my leg from my calf to my ankle numb. This pain has, at some points, immobilized me, and also made it difficult to bend down and pick something up off the floor or reach above my head. I have been stuck in mid step or unable to get up from a sitting position or laying down.

Sometimes I get the pain even when not pregnant and at one time needed physical therapy and was on pain killers, and I have a very high pain tolerance. It was no joke!!!

Of course mine was more severe and what you are describing sounds much more mild. Luckily this time I haven't had any problems.

Hoping you don't have too many problems with it.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!

Last edited by UrbanMomma; April 21st, 2013 at 06:54 AM.
April 21st, 2013, 06:16 PM
Veteran
It sounds like sciatic pain to me too but maybe not as bad as it could/will be.
Mine only gets pinched on the left leg with pregnancy. It hurts through my butt cheek and down the leg. My lower back also begins to ache terribly. It makes me very unsteady walking, sometimes my leg almost gives out. Half way through the day I start looking for walls and hand rails for support while walking. Rolling over, even just laying down, getting up etc it terribly painful.
So far it hasn't really hit this pregnancy. I expect it sometime soon.

Lanae: Mommy to Ethan, Will, Alex and Surprise baby GIRL due August 15, 2013!

April 22nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
I've never had it before until a couple weeks ago, it is a stabbing pain in my right butt cheek only. It comes and goes though.

April 22nd, 2013, 11:52 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
when I had a pain that I thought was sciatic nerve pain, it was also on one side (the left) and I had difficulty walking. It only lasted for one day but made it very difficult to do anything.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search