Traveling Questions

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree18Likes
  • 1 Post By Kaisia
  • 1 Post By mom2K&G
  • 1 Post By Husher
  • 1 Post By cameronzmom
  • 2 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By mrskfet
  • 3 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By mamalamb
  • 1 Post By Ray88
  • 1 Post By soccermamatomany
  • 2 Post By lucyinthesky88
  • 1 Post By Kaisia
  • 1 Post By lucyinthesky88

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 23rd, 2013, 02:01 AM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies! DH and I recently went back to our hometown which is 5hrs away. The ride(DH drove) was almost unbearable for me. My ankles and feet became really swollen within a hour of sitting in the front. They were burning and tingling. So I had to move to the back seat to prop up my feet for the rest of the ride. By the time we got to our destination my calves were swollen as well. And my baby shower will be in my hometown so I will be 31weeks when I have to do this all over again ugh. So Im wondering:

BTDT Moms: What are some tips for traveling a "little" comfortable while pregnant?
And for everyone: Is anyone traveling by car or any other form in the third trimester?

April 23rd, 2013, 03:08 AM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
I'll be traveling home to Kansas from Korea from 27 weeks through 28 1/2 weeks. I think it's about 18 hours with two flights each way. Then we'll be doing a 2 1/2 hour drive to his hometown and back.

I'm glad the car part is short, and I intend to make us stop halfway through. My plan for the flights is to get up, walk around, and hit the bathroom every hour. I got an aisle seat with extended legroom and have compression socks ready to go. I'll also be bugging the flight attendants for lots of water.

At least a couple of these things may be doable for your long car ride, but of course I haven't done this yet so I don't know how well it'll go!
Ray88 likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 04:18 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
I will be traveling 16 hours at 3 weeks and then again for 4 hours at 33 weeks...I am nervous about it but we are going to come up with a plan !

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
April 23rd, 2013, 04:54 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
When I traveled back to Florida during my pregnancy with DS I brought Pillows with me and a massaging seat that goes over the car seat. It plugged into my cigarette lighter. We also took lots of breaks even if we didn't have to use the bathroom so I could get out and walk. Just walk as much as possible!! It really helped with my swelling!

Good luck!
Ray88 likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 05:14 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I'll be flying to Chicago (about 2.5 hours each way) at 31 weeks. I'm not too nervous about it, but the midwives said I needed to walk each hour and drink lots of water. I hope your next drive is a little easier!
Ray88 likes this.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

April 23rd, 2013, 05:21 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with everyone else. Frequent breaks even though the drives only a few hours. We drive 8+ back and forth to NC, in fact, we were just there a few weeks ago. Things that worked for me included: propping my feet up on the dash and leaning my seat back. Pillows to cushion my back and so I could get more comfortable. Tons of water and lots of bathroom breaks. Oh and frequent small snacks helped with my car sickness..
Ray88 likes this.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

April 23rd, 2013, 05:29 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've read that during long car trips while pregnant you should get out and walk each hour I haven't traveled far during pregnancy though so I'm not positive how well it works but it's worth a shot!
Ray88 and mom2K&G like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

April 23rd, 2013, 06:07 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Making lots of stops and getting out to walk and stretch is good. I always had to stop frequently anyhow to pee. We will be driving to Arizona this summer and it's about a 17 hour drive, we're going around 34 weeks pregnant.
Ray88 likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 06:18 AM
mrskfet's Avatar Super Mommy
As long as the doctor approves it, we'll be going to see my parents when I'm 28 weeks and traveling back when I'm 29. Its at least an 8 hour drive each way and that was with my DH driving above the speed limit the whole time and we only stopped twice lol it'll be interesting seeing how it goes this time
Ray88 likes this.
EDD: Aug. 9th, 2013

Make a pregnancy ticker
April 23rd, 2013, 07:23 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm taking a 2 week 2500 mile road trip at about 34 weeks. I plan LOTS of stops to get out and walk (and pee LOL). But luckily I don't get swelling during pregnancy, so that helps...
yvee80, Ray88 and mom2K&G like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

April 23rd, 2013, 08:38 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be traveling a bit this June. Not completely sure where yet, Las Vegas is on the table but more likely we will do a beach trip. Vegas is about a 9 hour car ride and the beach is probably 4? I will be about 31-32 weeks when we go, I discussed it with my doctor, he said as long as things are looking good with me and Max at that point it should be fine, but to get out and walk every hour or two to prevert blood clots/swelling
Ray88 likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 10:27 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies for sharing and giving your advice. I did stop frequently to walk and pee but that did not help me..... I will try bringing pillows though...
mom2K&G likes this.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:12 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the breaks and keeping hydrated.
Ray88 likes this.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
April 23rd, 2013, 03:56 PM
Veteran
I second Kaisia on the compression stockings... I wear them when I work (I'm on my feet for 13 hours/shift) and they really do help. They help bring the blood from your lower extremities back to your heart which reduces swelling. They are pretty hideous looking but may be worth a try
yvee80 and Ray88 like this.
April 23rd, 2013, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
Where do you purchase compression stockings?

April 23rd, 2013, 09:17 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray88 View Post
Where do you purchase compression stockings?
I ordered mine from Amazon. I haven't opened them even since my trip is more than a month away, so hopefully they will work OK.
Ray88 likes this.
April 23rd, 2013, 10:02 PM
Veteran
I've seen them in the pharmacy sections of some of the drugstores where I live, but you can probably find them at a local place that sells medical scrubs. Or like Kaisia said, you could order some online.
Ray88 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search