BTDT Mommies!!! Question For Ya :)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree27Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 1st, 2013, 09:38 AM
Super Mommy
Hey ladies! Which is better:

Vasonline or Baby Powder at diaper changes?

Which did you use with your babies and what are your thoughts on them?!

I've heard people tell me baby powder to keep them dry but then I've heard Vasoline because it makes messy poo easier to clean up and protects their skin against diaper rash.

I'm going to stock both but I want to know if there's a trick to deciding which is the best one to use

May 1st, 2013, 09:44 AM
Norwegian mom's Avatar Veteran
Neither! And he never had a single diaper rash. Air drying is the best.
UrbanMomma and MommyPenguin4 like this.
May 1st, 2013, 09:48 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyPenguin4 View Post
Hey ladies! Which is better:

Vasonline or Baby Powder at diaper changes?

Which did you use with your babies and what are your thoughts on them?!

I've heard people tell me baby powder to keep them dry but then I've heard Vasoline because it makes messy poo easier to clean up and protects their skin against diaper rash.

I'm going to stock both but I want to know if there's a trick to deciding which is the best one to use
Neither. And defiantly not powder on a girl. If a rash develops coconut oil!
KeLLiC09 and MommyPenguin4 like this.

May 1st, 2013, 10:06 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am also going to say neither. We've tried every diaper powder/cream/solution on the planet, and they always gave my children TERRIBLE rashes (and I'd end up needing prescription cream to clear things up) but if I leave it alone, they almost never get rashes, and when they do, washing with soap and water after every change and giving a little air time would have it cleared up within a day.
UrbanMomma and MommyPenguin4 like this.
May 1st, 2013, 10:18 AM
Super Mommy
Oh WOW!!! So not what I expected! Ok awesome thanks ladies! So just clean up with wipes (i'm getting the sensitive ones) and let it air dry and then put on a fresh diaper correct? Sounds easier than having to deal with creams anyway

I was worried because I have SUPER sensitive skin INCLUDING down there (sorry if TMI!) so I'm trying to prepare just in case Baby Rose has uber sensitive skin like me! Well.... I mean I know she will obviously being a baby and all but I meant even more so than normal

May 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Neither. First, NO baby powder. It's not safe to breathe in for you or baby. It's totally unnecessary. I've never even owned any. As far as vaseline, I've never heard of people using it on their babies bums. The only time I used it was after my boys' circumcisions. Otherwise, I don't see why you would need it. If baby has a rash use a diaper cream or other remedy (like just giving their little bum some fresh air). If there is no rash then you (or baby, rather) is good to go - no extras needed.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

May 1st, 2013, 10:24 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am going to say neither as well.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
May 1st, 2013, 10:57 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If you worry your LO might have sensitive skin, then definitely skip any powders or lotions as much as you can. Just change frequently.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.
May 1st, 2013, 11:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I also have to say neither. Powder can cause respiratory distress, so that is a huge no-no. Vaseline can create a barrier sealing moisture in and creating a nice environment for yeast and bacterial infections.

May 1st, 2013, 11:51 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliekat View Post
Vaseline can create a barrier sealing moisture in and creating a nice environment for yeast and bacterial infections.
Never thought of that too! Infections.... eww no thank you lol

Thanks!

May 1st, 2013, 02:00 PM
Super Mommy
DS and I both have really sensitive skin, too. Baby powder is AWFUL if baby has sensitive skin; there are tons of fragrances, preservatives, and talc (a common allergen) in most powders.
I agree with everyone else about really frequent changing. It doesn't matter what cream you have on their bum, if you leave a sensitive bum in a dirty diaper for 20 minutes you're going to pay for it.
When DS does get any kind of rash, Vaseline is a great choice to protect them from further irritation. I also love Calmoseptine. It's awesome stuff for sensitive little ones.
May 1st, 2013, 02:59 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the other ladies, no baby powder. I've never used Vaseline to prevent a rash, but I did use A & D ointment or Butt Paste if my boys had rashes and those creams worked great. I wouldn't recommend Desitin....in my experience of using it on my kids..it made their rashes burn terribly!

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggy!

May 1st, 2013, 03:14 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Another vote for neither! The only time I use anything is IF they get a rash (which has only happened a handful of times). Then I use bag balm.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 1st, 2013, 03:36 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I've never used either.

May 1st, 2013, 04:08 PM
Mega Super Mommy
we dont use either.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

May 1st, 2013, 04:14 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Mama View Post
Neither. First, NO baby powder. It's not safe to breathe in for you or baby. It's totally unnecessary. I've never even owned any. As far as vaseline, I've never heard of people using it on their babies bums. The only time I used it was after my boys' circumcisions. Otherwise, I don't see why you would need it. If baby has a rash use a diaper cream or other remedy (like just giving their little bum some fresh air). If there is no rash then you (or baby, rather) is good to go - no extras needed.
I was going to say same thing. Baby powered is not safe to breathe in. I never put cream unless there is a rash. If there is then I used triple paste or A&D for overnight and during the day. Also airing out is great too. I know some mommies who have used breast milk on a rash and they swear by it. So that is also a thing to use if there is a rash.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
May 1st, 2013, 05:55 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I agree with all the other ladies, and honestly only use wipes when absolutely needed, like a big diaper blowout.
#12 is on the way
May 1st, 2013, 06:33 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Neither! *IF* they get a rash then I usually just use vaseline at that point, but we have been lucky so far and not had that many

May 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nothing

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

May 1st, 2013, 07:04 PM
Veteran
Another vote for nothing. I only use any sort of cream if they have a bad rash, and it's pretty rare. I will say that I had no idea that baby powder was such a no-no until I was pregnant with my first and my husband of all people was the one to enlighten me.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search