Letting newborn around uvaccinated child

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree48Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 11:03 AM
That is absolutely NOT why children get more frequent injections. They are given at specific intervals to build immunity and as boosters for the immune system to keep that immunity up.
May 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Mimis, with all do respect, it is why, and even our own government will tell us so. They want to build the immunity faster, so they start younger, but if they start later, fewer vaccines would be needed. That is why other countries that have a more delayed schedule than ours don't need as many vaccines to reach full immunity either.

If a doctor were to have your mindset and not look into medical study and follow medical recommendations, then they would vaccinate a never vaccinated before 5 year old the same way they vaccinate a newborn, and that could be really dangerous.

That said, it's nice to meet you. I see this is your first post here. When inn august is your little one due? Hopefully you will introduce yourself on the main forum so we can get to know you better
Keakie likes this.
May 4th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimismommy1 View Post
That is absolutely NOT why children get more frequent injections. They are given at specific intervals to build immunity and as boosters for the immune system to keep that immunity up.
I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or not. But it is a known fact that babies' immune systems are not fully developed until later (at least 1 year) and it does play a role in why infants get more repeats of shots compared to children who start vaccines at an older age. I work for our local health department and we have actually had vaccine company representatives come in and talk to us about all this stuff.
Keakie and alittlelost like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 4th, 2013, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
I'm not sure if you're referring to my post or not. But it is a known fact that babies' immune systems are not fully developed until later (at least 1 year) and it does play a role in why infants get more repeats of shots compared to children who start vaccines at an older age. I work for our local health department and we have actually had vaccine company representatives come in and talk to us about all this stuff.
This is why they recommend breastfeeding for at least the first year, too. The antibodies passed on from mom to babe act as an immediate "vaccine" until their immune systems are stronger and they are able to create and maintain these antibodies for themselves. Even my kids pedi, who is EXTREMELY pro-vaccine, says that the reason why my youngest didn't get whooping cough when the rest of us did is because he was breastfed and getting my antibodies. However, she was unable to explain why the other 4 (vaccinated) people (2 adults, 2 children) in my house got whooping cough despite being fully DTAP vaccinated.

I obviously don't judge people for their vaccine choices anymore than I judge them for their breastfeeding choices. Nor do I worry about my kid being around formula fed children more than I worry about them being around breastfed children. I may just be one of those mamas who don't worry enough, though, so I also don't judge people who worry more than me. To each their own.
Kelllilee, UrbanMomma and Keakie like this.
May 4th, 2013, 03:37 PM
Super Mommy
I didn't read the posts after the first few so... Just my expirience and opinion- dd was fully vaxed and on time till age 3, her very first visit to see dh's side of family, we had just had her shots done (under 1 year but not sure exactly) she had her mmr. Right after visit all her young cousins who are not vaxed ALL got the mumps! I had NO idea that could happen! Anyways- we no longer vaccinate at this time- we may when kids are older but who knows
alittlelost likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharilyn View Post
I didn't read the posts after the first few so... Just my expirience and opinion- dd was fully vaxed and on time till age 3, her very first visit to see dh's side of family, we had just had her shots done (under 1 year but not sure exactly) she had her mmr. Right after visit all her young cousins who are not vaxed ALL got the mumps! I had NO idea that could happen! Anyways- we no longer vaccinate at this time- we may when kids are older but who knows
Poor kiddos! Probably a case of vaccine shedding, which causes a lot of the outbreaks we hear about (and many times, even vaxxed kids get sick during these outbreaks, unfortunately). But the good thing is that when you have a child who isn't vaccinated and they catch something, they are more likely to get immediate and appropriate care. I know kids who are vaxxed who caught things and almost didn't get treatment in time because the pediatrician assumed it couldn't have been something they were vaccinated for. But I would like to think that most pediatricians would run tests to be sure, and I imagine many or even most do
May 4th, 2013, 10:45 PM
Veteran
oh i know you werent looking to avoid unvaxed kids, i was just maybe giving an idea if you do decide it was safer for baby. i thought the first shot they get is before they left the hospital...? i know my son got something i cant remember at this time what it was.

okay never mind i just looked it up... now im confused for some reason im thinking they gave my son the first hep b shot before we left the hospital, maybe it was something different but i was almost certain hep b... hmmm..
alittlelost likes this.
May 4th, 2013, 11:01 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
hep B is the one they usually give in the hospital at birth. I think some aren't doing it right away anymore, but most places still do. But it's one that an infant is VERY unlikely to get anyway. I think she's more concerned with ones babies are not vaccinated for until later (like whooping cough, measles, etc...)
alittlelost likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 5th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Yep, and even for babies who are vaccinated, they aren't fully protected against those things, so if it's a concern, it's really better to keep baby away from too many people (adults, children, vaxxed or not) when they are itty bitty, until you feel their immune system is ready or somehow protected (through their own build of antibodies or artificial antibodies/vaccines or through breastfeeding, etc). When the time is "right" will be different for every family of course, but until that time comes, families should just limit contact all around if they are concerned.

But yeah, Hep B is the one usually given at birth and I'm SO glad less places are doing that routinely now because the reactions to that one for newborns is so scary and completely not worth the risk (excluding extenuating circumstances). I think if most mamas understood what it was and the risks associated with that one, they would ask their hospital not to give it at birth and instead discuss with their pediatrician a better alternative time to give it.

I would imagine all the mamas here, whether they vax on time, delayed, or not at all, still researched all the vaccines SEPARATELY to determine which they were given and when was the best time for their family to give each one. Naturally some will still feel feel the schedule is best, but I doubt many people here would blindly follow it--after all, the schedule is always changing so you know even the CDC isn't 100% sure that their schedule is the best.
May 5th, 2013, 06:35 AM
dble post
May 5th, 2013, 09:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm pretty relaxed about this stuff.
The amount of contact between an 8 month old and a newborn will be pretty minimal.
8 month olds don't want to hold babies

Btw we went to our birthing class reunion when my first was a little baby. Someone brought a baby with pertussis to the party and we lined our babies up for a photo.
Mine was right beside the sick one and didn't get it.
At one point the parents had left sick baby laying on the sofa and went to grab food.
Sick baby started coughing and turning blue so I ran over to it and picked it up.
I didn't get it either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
Yes it is very true.
I delay vax and my oldest got shots at 18m they were able to get her almost fully up to date in one sitting.
I asked how that was possible and they told me older babies require less doses of each.
alittlelost likes this.

May 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .H.e.a.t.h.e.r. View Post
I
Yes it is very true.
I delay vax and my oldest got shots at 18m they were able to get her almost fully up to date in one sitting.
I asked how that was possible and they told me older babies require less doses of each.
I wish more people were informed about this stuff.

It's one thing to want to vaccinate a newborn because you believe in vaccines and want to start building a partial immunity early on, but it's another to misinform people by saying that older babies don't need less doses or to ignore the reasons WHY older babies need less doses.

For a concerned parent, knowing that an older baby needs less doses and WHY helps them understand what other precautions they may want to take. Are they precautions I would take? No. But people should be able to decide for THEIR family and they can't do accurately that based on misinformation.

I think some people just get up in arms thinking it's an anti-vax or anti-"on time"-schedule to say that older babies need less doses, and why, but it's not. It's just good information to have, whether you are vaxxing on time, delayed, or not at all. Many people who vax on time know this--heck, most pediatricians recommend vaccinating "on time" and they will tell you the same thing if (for example) you ask how many doses your friend's unvaxxed 2 year old would need to catch up. And I'm sure even they could explain to you why it will be less doses.

It doesn't mean delay vax is "better", but I think some people argue with the facts on this because they think that is what this information implies.

The only thing I "care" about when it comes to other families making choices regarding vaccines is that they have complete and accurate information from which to make their choice on. You can give the same and complete information to different people and they will still choose different things. But they deserve to have that information IMO. It makes me sad to realize there are people out there who don't have that information and are making medical decisions for their family without correct information, but I don't blame the parents for that.
May 5th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by .H.e.a.t.h.e.r. View Post
I'm pretty relaxed about this stuff.
The amount of contact between an 8 month old and a newborn will be pretty minimal.
8 month olds don't want to hold babies

Btw we went to our birthing class reunion when my first was a little baby. Someone brought a baby with pertussis to the party and we lined our babies up for a photo.
Mine was right beside the sick one and didn't get it.
At one point the parents had left sick baby laying on the sofa and went to grab food.
Sick baby started coughing and turning blue so I ran over to it and picked it up.
I didn't get it either.
Also, this is a great story I think it would be really helpful to look at why people don't catch it when exposed, even when they aren't vaccinated, and also why some people catch it when they are vaccinated. I think my youngest didn't get it when the rest of the family did because of breastfeeding. As for why the rest of us caught it when we were all fully-vaxxed for it? No idea, really, although I guess we were just on the wrong side of the statistics. Which seems to often be the case with my family and vaccines. I still think it's crazy that 4/4 (100%!) of vaccinated people in my house got Pertussis and 1/1 (100%) unvaccinated newborns in my house did not. But same thing with the flu shot. No one in my family has gotten the shot and no one has gotten the flu. I know a lot of people who were like us, then were talked into getting the flu shot one year, and that was the year they got the flu.

Long story short, as long as people understand HOW vaccines work and WHY they work that way, it's all good. I know some people who vaccinate not for their child's safety but as a sense of public duty. They understand the way medical science works and understand the vaccine doesn't necessarily mean their child is protected, but they are doing it for the "herd". But then there are people who vaccinate thinking that means their child is 100% protected from something they will definitely catch and die from if they don't get that vaccine. No one should vaccinate out of that kind of fear and misinformation.
May 5th, 2013, 11:36 AM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kearsty20 View Post
oh i know you werent looking to avoid unvaxed kids, i was just maybe giving an idea if you do decide it was safer for baby. i thought the first shot they get is before they left the hospital...? i know my son got something i cant remember at this time what it was.

okay never mind i just looked it up... now im confused for some reason im thinking they gave my son the first hep b shot before we left the hospital, maybe it was something different but i was almost certain hep b... hmmm..

I wasn't singling out anybody specifically when I said that. It just seemed to be the impression that more than one person got, and that wasn't my intention so I wanted to say something. I literally just did not know how the situation worked one way or the other, so I asked.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

May 5th, 2013, 11:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Mama View Post
I wasn't singling out anybody specifically when I said that. It just seemed to be the impression that more than one person got, and that wasn't my intention so I wanted to say something. I literally just did not know how the situation worked one way or the other, so I asked.
I wish more mamas were like you, discussing these things, asking questions, and trying to learn more, instead of blindly making decisions. I always say any mama who does that, no matter what happens, they can have peace of mind with any outcome knowing they did what they believed was best based on having ALL the facts. There's risks to any decisions; it's all about choosing the risks you want to live with. You're a step ahead of most. Keep up the great work
May 5th, 2013, 01:39 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
Also, this is a great story I think it would be really helpful to look at why people don't catch it when exposed, even when they aren't vaccinated, and also why some people catch it when they are vaccinated. I think my youngest didn't get it when the rest of the family did because of breastfeeding. As for why the rest of us caught it when we were all fully-vaxxed for it? No idea, really, although I guess we were just on the wrong side of the statistics. Which seems to often be the case with my family and vaccines. I still think it's crazy that 4/4 (100%!) of vaccinated people in my house got Pertussis and 1/1 (100%) unvaccinated newborns in my house did not. But same thing with the flu shot. No one in my family has gotten the shot and no one has gotten the flu. I know a lot of people who were like us, then were talked into getting the flu shot one year, and that was the year they got the flu.

Long story short, as long as people understand HOW vaccines work and WHY they work that way, it's all good. I know some people who vaccinate not for their child's safety but as a sense of public duty. They understand the way medical science works and understand the vaccine doesn't necessarily mean their child is protected, but they are doing it for the "herd". But then there are people who vaccinate thinking that means their child is 100% protected from something they will definitely catch and die from if they don't get that vaccine. No one should vaccinate out of that kind of fear and misinformation.
it's pretty interesting. About a week after the party the health department notified everyone of the exposure and we were told to come in and get a prescription for it whether we had symptoms or not.
I did a lot of research. Actually it was my very first experience with researching a parenting decision.
I decided that none of us would get the prescription.
My mom & husband were there as well. None of us got it. My mom, husband and I had been vaccinated but a very long time ago. My daughter had yet to receive any vaccinations.

I also managed to get pertussis back when I was a teenager even though I had been vaccinated. When I had it nobody else got it. I lived with my parents and they both didn't get it. I was sexually active and my boyfriend at the time didn't get it. interesting when you think about it all. Vaccines are a great invention they do save lives but they are not 100% fool proof.
alittlelost likes this.

May 5th, 2013, 05:42 PM
What is amazing is how many people get vaccines, thinking they are "magic" but don't do anything else to help their immune system! There are studies being done recently that are showing unvaccinated people who take other precautions to keep a healthy immune system are less likely to catch a disease than a person who is vaccinated. I don't think that means people who believe in vaccines shouldn't vaccinate, but I wonder why they wouldn't ALSO do what works BETTER in conjunction with the vaccine. It's kind of like sticking a bandaid on a wound without cleaning it first. I mean, but all means, if you want to use a bandaid, use a bandaid, but if you are so worried that you think a bandaid is necessary, then why not care enough to clean the wound, too? And then of course there are people who believe cleaning the wound and giving it fresh air is GENERALLY the better option for faster healing (though may vary case to case).
.H.e.a.t.h.e.r. likes this.
May 6th, 2013, 04:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We don't vaxx my cousin does and think I'm crazy. The way I see it is if you (general) vaxx your kids then they should be protected (why else would you vaxx) so if my child comes around your protected child should be just that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search