Kids wearing make up...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 10:12 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I' believe you notice a difference, I'm just saying I've done a lot of stage acting and I didn't look washed out. I looked like me. If anything, I looked paler than normal by comparison to others wearing dark make-up; I didn't look paler compared to myself off-stage, though.

My friend does the beauty pageant thing, and we don't sign up for that because it's right there in the title: a competition based on "beauty" which is subjective. I know they require make up for most pageants, too. To each their own. My friend puts fake eyelashes on her daughter for those competitions. I don't judge. I know some people who don't think gymnastics is a good sport for girls, either, so I understand that sometimes as parents we just see things differently--we all do what we believe is best for our children.

That said, if my daughter's gymnastics told her she had to wear make up to competition, we would have words Not because make up is the end of the world but because our personal family values, we don't want out child wearing make up this young (she's only 6!) so anything that tells us "screw your family values, she has to do [insert something here]" is something that sets off alarm bells for me. For those who is doesn't go against their family values, though, it's no big deal! I am just glad there are plenty of options out there for activities for children. If someone doesn't feel good about one option, they can choose another. Like I know people who would never let their kids do gymnastics because of their family values and what is required, but it fits within ours. We have options, so it's ultimately up to us.
May 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think make-up is completely unnecessary for all women. LOL!! So for young girls I am totally against it. I don't wear make-up myself except maybe a few times a year - and only mascara and *possibly* some lip gloss at that. I prefer to see a person's true beauty - not the fake face they put on.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

May 5th, 2013, 01:10 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I personally don't have a problem with performance makeups, we haven't participated in anything that requires that because she's more into sports, but she's getting into acting and has a huge role in the spring musical this week and she may be wearing a little makeup if the director calls for it. However, going to school or out and about isn't appropriate for a under teener, and really some teens wear WAYYYY too much makeup these days, their eyes especially.

May 8th, 2013, 12:01 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
My daughter is a dancer and I was too ..I typically just add a little lip gloss for her dance photos but for recitals it is required she have makeup on... I do it light just some shadow, mascara, liner and a darker lip gloss but it really makes them shine on stage... My dd hates it haha and I don't enjoy doing it but it is in our recital contract and handbook....
May 8th, 2013, 01:09 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Maybe I'm weird, but it doesn't bother me. I did pageants as a child, dance as a child and teen, and I wear make up as an adult. I never had a "strict" parent who didn't allow me to play with makeup or anything, she just let me make the choices for myself when I was older.
May 8th, 2013, 01:13 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Phd I am surprised you responded to one of my posts after saying would would report me for being a "stalker" if I replied to any of yours.

That said, I don't think teaching my daughter that she doesn't need make up to be beautiful makes me "strict" but hey at least next time someone tells me I'm too relaxed in my parenting I can say at least 1 person thinks I'm strict

When my daughter does start wearing make up I also want to look into what she puts on her skin for health reasons. Perhaps that makes me strict to some. I think it makes me appropriately concerned though.

That's interesting ivy. Thankfully we don't hav a contract like that. It really is crazy how they downright require parents to do things like that, but I guess you just sign up for what you are comfortable with.
May 9th, 2013, 08:47 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The pageant stuff freaks me out a bit. Especially with the flippers and all that nonsense. What is cuter than a kid with missing teeth?! I think makeup for play is fun though. I don't think letting a child wear makeup teaches them they aren't beautiful without it. Sometimes I think we, as parents, think too hard about things like that.

Does makeup enhance beauty? Honestly, I think it does, when applied appropriately. I wear makeup on a daily basis. Not a lot though and people usually think all I wear is shadow or liner/ mascara. But do I look better with it on? Of course! Would I tell my daughter that she looks better with it on? Noooo, but I'm sure at some point she'll think so anyway, no matter when I let her wear it out of the house.

That being said, I don't plan to let my daughter wear makeup until high school. I think that is pretty standard in most homes. Special occasions are just that.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search