Kids wearing make up...

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree24Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 4th, 2013, 10:51 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I realize (and respect) that some people are A-okay with their kids wearing make up, or doing the whole pageant thing, or whatever else. I personally don't want my daughter wearing make up and I don't know when I will feel comfortable with it. I don't think make up is like "the devil" or anything. I want my daughter to realize how beautiful she is just the way she is, though, and *for our family* not promoting make up use at an early age is one small part of that, though I'm sure the same can be achieved even by those who do allow their children to wear make up at a young age.

Now that I have that disclaimer out of the way

I took my daughter for her ballet pictures yesterday and I admit I was surprised by all the make up the kids were wearing. I would say that 90% of the kids there, aged 3-12, were wearing make up. Don't get me wrong, I expected to see little ones in make up for that, but I just didn't expect my daughter to be in the minority, especially with the younger ones. I thought some, maybe half, would be in make up, but not MOST!

So, maybe make up on little girls is more common than I realized? I know it's because it was ballet pictures. I know many "stage" activities like to use make up (some argue it's necessary, but in my experience it has never been necessary, especially not for a little kid to wear eye shadow and mascara). I rather they just say they do it because they want to than to say make up is "necessary" so you don't "disappear" on stage, because that's just not true.

Anyway, how do you ladies feel about this? Do most moms see nothing wrong with make up for special occasions on preschoolers and grade schoolers? Does anyone else feel like me--that it's just not necessary?

Again, if other people want to do that, that's fine. I just don't want anyone telling *my* daughter that she *needs* make up. I am also really glad that she didn't notice she was the "odd one out" for not wearing make up. I think it helps though that I almost never wear make up myself.

Last edited by alittlelost; May 4th, 2013 at 10:54 AM.
May 4th, 2013, 11:08 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If I had a girl I don't think I'd feel comfortable with her wearing make-up, even for special occasions. Until maybe junior high or something. I understand little girls like to play with make-up for dress up and that's okay I think, but not to make them look more "pretty" for special occasions.

May 4th, 2013, 11:10 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
we let the girls wear makeup on Halloween and RARELY (like 1-2 times a year) they can wear glittery fun stuff. But they don't really ask. I hardly ever wear makeup, so I think it's something they just don't think about. I don't have a problem with it exactly, but I think "real" makeup should be reserved for people who know how to do it themselves - teens and adults. I feel the same way as you that I want to instill the idea that they don't need makeup to be beautiful.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 4th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Super Mommy
I agree with the ladies, I rarely wear make-up myself and wouldn't feel comfortable with her wearing any either until she's older.

I'm ok with chapstick or something but definitely no eye shadow or mascara. I personally don't think it's good for their self esteem because it's almost like teaching her she's not "pretty" enough without make-up.
FL Mama and alittlelost like this.

May 4th, 2013, 11:21 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
The other day my oldest (almost 8) saw me putting on makeup (when I do wear it, it's very minimal) and she asked me why I was putting it on. I just told her simply "I like the way it looks sometimes" and then put mascara on one eye and asked her which she liked better. She picked the side with no makeup LOL. Smart girl.
kjm, alittlelost and MommyPenguin4 like this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 4th, 2013, 11:28 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
Well, my oldest dd is 10 and she is gorgeous just the way she is. She doesn't show any interest in make-up yet, except painting her nails. I don't think young girls need to be made up into mini women.
alittlelost and MommyPenguin4 like this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
May 4th, 2013, 12:37 PM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
O nooooo mine will not wear make up till high school n even then I hope its light. Only thing I put on is some eye liner n lip gloss. I don't want her to think that in order to be pretty u have to put on make up. My kids are all natural that includes their hair. I don't get the whole make up n weave thing for kids under 15.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm ok with makeup experimenting around age 13-15... but even then I'd only allow the minimum. My dd doesn't need to look any older and should learn she's naturally beautiful. I dk how i'd feel about competition type make up though.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 4th, 2013, 03:27 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 6. She has play makeup, not allowed to be worn out of the house. No make up for pics either. One reason I haven't signed her up for baton yet is because during parades and competitions they look like little 21 yr olds! I'm not comfortable with my 6 yr old having as much makeup as a celebrity on the red carpet and the outfit being just a tiny bit more than what strippers wear! Now how old before she's allowed makeup? I haven't decided yet, it'll depend on her maturity and all that, but I'm guessing around 12 if she wants I'll allow a tiny bit of makeup.

May 4th, 2013, 04:53 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Nope, not a fan of makeup on little girls here either! Made a small exception a few weeks ago though

Madison had a very formal (black tie!) event for the Arthritis Foundation and she was their "Key to the Cure Ambassador" (they choose a child living with Arthritis to tell their story and help get donations) a few weeks ago and we got her a fancy dress and did her hair. She *REALLY* wanted to wear makeup though...
DH told me to put a little on if she wanted it because it was such a special occasion for her... so I literally used my Urban Decay Naked palette (which is pretty much just a bunch of nude/light colors) and I brushed a tiny but of nude eyeshadow that had a SLIGHT shimmer (color is called "Sin" actually lol) and put some clear lip gloss on her. She was THRILLED to be able to wear it and I honestly felt comfortable with it because you couldn't really even see it but she knew it was there and that's what made her feel special lol

On the flip side- her mother lets her do whatever she wants and she's come home wearing bright blue eyeshadow, blush, lipstick, etc. Drives me nuts but I can't tell her mother not to do it unfortunately.
alittlelost likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 4th, 2013, 05:14 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My daughter is 9 and doesn't wear it and won't for awhile, she's beautiful the way she is. I let her wear lip gloss but that's about it. She does like to put sparkles on when playing dressup, but that's been a very long time, she hasn't played dressup in awhile.
alittlelost likes this.

May 4th, 2013, 05:27 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm ok with play make up. Dd is 6 and she loves it but we usually make her wash it off before we go any where. She applies it like a clown LOL which might b why it doesn't bother me as much. Teehee she looks like a little kid while wearing it.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 4th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
I'm not a fan. But then, I don't wear makeup at all, and neither did my mom. Part of that for me is laziness, but part of it is resentment at the idea that the way I look naturally may not be good enough for some people. Too bad for them!

So we'll see if this little one takes after me or not in that regard. I wouldn't have a problem with her wearing some when she's older, paying for it, etc. (oh, another part of not wearing any is that it gets expensive and I'm cheap about that kind of thing ), but I hope she never feels like it's necessary to make her beautiful. That would just break my heart.
May 4th, 2013, 10:18 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't plan to let my girls wear makeup until high school or MAYBE 8th grade, we'll see...I can't stand makeup on kids either, BUT I might do it for a dance show. I wore makeup when I took ballet as a kid (for shows and pictures only).

My 6 year old did wear some clear lip gloss to her father daughter dance last month but that was all we would allow LOL.

May 4th, 2013, 11:18 PM
Veteran
i dont have a daughter but if i did maybe when she hit dress up age she could do that little girl glittery stuff in the house only, i do want to teach her that she doesnt need make up to be beautiful and may allow it in jr high small amounts, jr high was when my mom let me use mascara and lip gloss only. i HATE that toddlers and tiara's show that is just HORRIFYING it's all about the moms egos
May 5th, 2013, 12:09 AM
84oilymom's Avatar Veteran
I don't wear make up and never have, not even for my wedding prom etc. My daughter has never asked me about make up and she is 11. The girls in her class wear it daily, well heck I have second graders who come to school with eye liner and pink lipstick, the stay all day kind that despite my attempts to make them wash it off in the bathroom it does not come off...
As a little girl I was told by my gma that people wore makeup because they were not really pretty underneath and though I am older nad believe differently, outisde of clear lipgloss, I am naked and so is my daughter

May 5th, 2013, 02:50 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
My DD will be 14 and in the 9th grade, she was a pageant kid from age 6 months until age 11, and she does competition dance and i don't like makeup on kids. She wears makeup on stage for her dance competitions and when she did pageants again only on stage. I just now maybe a few months ago started to allow her to wear gloss that has a little bit more of a hit of color to it because she is gorgeous and doesn't need makeup to be that way, I myself love makeup just the look of how they shadows and stuff is blended but do not wear much of it myself except making sure my brows are groomed well is a must other than that it depends on the day i am having and it's light makeup at the most. I do believe that makeup enhances your beauty and that it was meant to do just that not made to make it look like you have on a mask and that is what I explained to my DD so that whenever she does start wearing it (which will not be for awhile for real makeup) that she only uses it to highlight her beauty but STILL look like herself !

Side note: I can say that before i allowed her to wear stage makeup at her pageants I never paid attention to how washed out most stage lighting makes you look, now I do understand why mat dance studios want them to at least wear makeup on stage the lighting does usually wash them out.

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
May 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I don't think my daughter looked washed out at all in her pictures. When I receive them, I'll post them to the hideaway. I've also done stage acting and when I didn't wear make up (when I was younger) I didn't look washed out. I looked pale, but that's because I AM pale. and next to kids with foundation on that is darker than their skin color (I think this is actually done to make them look tan!) I looked paler. BUT the lighting didn't make me look paler than I was.

I guess I am lucky because my daughter didn't even ask to wear make up. I can see how if someone's daughter really wanted to do that, they might reconsider for the special occasion. It's not such a big deal that I'm going to create strife between me and my daughter over it, ya know? But it still surprised me that MOST of the girls were wearing make up so young (I know they don't normally wear it, but even for a recital, I mean, does a 3 year old really need make up for a recital? I guess some people feel they do, but I wouldn't have expected *most* people to feel that way).

Then again, I don't mind nail polish. My daughter thinks it's fun and doesn't wear it to be more beautiful, and maybe some kids are that way about make up. (I also never wear nail polish to be more beautiful, it's just paint. All it really does is hide if you have dirt under your nails lol) I like my daughter's dance studio though (even though she's quitting dance so it doesn't matter) because I saw all the costumes and there were none of those costumes that look like stripper outfits on girls of any age. Everything was tasteful. So something tells me they won't pressure me to put make up on her for the recital, and I'm glad about that. I don't think make up should be a requirement for ANY childhood activity. Might there be childhood activities where some people like their kids to wear make up for it? Sure. But if it's REQUIRED then it's not for us personally.
yvee80 and MommyPenguin4 like this.
May 5th, 2013, 06:47 AM
I don't think my daughter looked washed out at all in her pictures. When I receive them, I'll post them to the hideaway. I've also done stage acting and when I didn't wear make up (when I was younger) I didn't look washed out. I looked pale, but that's because I AM pale. and next to kids with foundation on that is darker than their skin color (I think this is actually done to make them look tan!) I looked paler. BUT the lighting didn't make me look paler than I was.

I guess I am lucky because my daughter didn't even ask to wear make up. I can see how if someone's daughter really wanted to do that, they might reconsider for the special occasion. It's not such a big deal that I'm going to create strife between me and my daughter over it, ya know? But it still surprised me that MOST of the girls were wearing make up so young (I know they don't normally wear it, but even for a recital, I mean, does a 3 year old really need make up for a recital? I guess some people feel they do, but I wouldn't have expected *most* people to feel that way).

Then again, I don't mind nail polish. My daughter thinks it's fun and doesn't wear it to be more beautiful, and maybe some kids are that way about make up. (I also never wear nail polish to be more beautiful, it's just paint. All it really does is hide if you have dirt under your nails lol) I like my daughter's dance studio though (even though she's quitting dance so it doesn't matter) because I saw all the costumes and there were none of those costumes that look like stripper outfits on girls of any age. Everything was tasteful. So something tells me they won't pressure me to put make up on her for the recital, and I'm glad about that. I don't think make up should be a requirement for ANY childhood activity. Might there be childhood activities where some people like their kids to wear make up for it? Sure. But if it's REQUIRED then it's not for us personally.
May 5th, 2013, 09:55 AM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post

For my DD dance pics she wore light makeup it's not the pics where it looks washed out its the stage lighting where I noticed the difference.

Also at her studio they do require the competition girls to wear makeup BUT for the little competition ones it's pretty much up to the parents and most put on a little light or shimmer shadow with a VERY pale light lip color for the girls....again to each it's now and as much as I do to like it on kiddos to me when she dances or does a pageant it's part of her costume...when. She comes off stage it comes off as well. And she will be 14.

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search