Working mamas - thoughts on maternity leave

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Super Mommy
Just curious for the working mamas out there... when are you thinking of starting your maternity leave? How long are you thinking of taking? Have you already worked something out with your boss/whoever? Are you planning on going back to work? Are you full-time or part-time?

I have now had two casual mentions of needing to have that conversation with my superiors, but we haven't set a day/time to do so yet. I am technically due Aug 11, but my other two were both two weeks late, so I don't necessarily expect that date to be at all reflective of when this little guy will actually be born. I am thinking of starting my leave Aug 1 and then just taking a straight three months. I am on my feet all day at my job and I know those last few weeks are going to be brutal, but it seems a good cutoff point. I also hope to cut down to four days/week, at least for the first year.
May 5th, 2013, 11:15 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I am already on maternity leave. I have been for 6 weeks. My job is classified as heavy physical labor so we are able to go off at 20 weeks with 60% pay. Iwill be off until 7-8 weeks after baby is born.
#12 is on the way
May 5th, 2013, 12:21 PM
Super Mommy
I am on light duty so I will try to work as long as I can. I get a year off. First 15 weeks are at 75% rest will be at 50%. I am so looking forward to quiet time enjoying my new baby. If the summer heat gets too unbearable I will stop working earlier.
May 5th, 2013, 02:08 PM
soaringphoenix's Avatar Mother Reborn
I'm still working but on light duty. I have spoken with my boss but like you stated I can't really give an offical due date and they are fine with that. They only asked for an estimated date. I've told them that I plan to work all the way up to my due date or longer if baby doesn't come by then. Then I plan to be off for 6-8 weeks. My boyfriend is in school, therefore I have to work.
May 5th, 2013, 03:35 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I will be working until baby is born. But I only work out of the house 1 day a week and do some stuff from home. And it's very non-physical work, so I have no issues with continuing. I will probably return around 6 weeks since again, only one day a week and I can take baby with me.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 5th, 2013, 04:02 PM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
My EDD is on Sunday 8/25 so I plan on starting my leave that previous Friday 8/23. I suspect I will be overdue but I don't want to push it since my job already stresses me out so I will just relax in the mean time. My immediate boss is well aware so she has plenty of time to find me a replacement. I would love to stay out the whole 12 weeks but I will probably go back to work after 8.

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

May 5th, 2013, 04:04 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll be working up until the week before I go in for my c-section, unless my doctor says otherwise. I'll be out the remaining of the season so I won't go back until February next year. I'm considered Part time seasonal.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

May 5th, 2013, 08:51 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanMomma View Post
I am already on maternity leave. I have been for 6 weeks. My job is classified as heavy physical labor so we are able to go off at 20 weeks with 60% pay. Iwill be off until 7-8 weeks after baby is born.
This is amazing!
May 6th, 2013, 04:54 AM
Jhendrickson's Avatar Veteran
I'm a teacher, so in three weeks I will be out until January...hallelujah!
May 6th, 2013, 05:55 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm getting jealous over here! I am taking 8 weeks off after baby is born. Plan to work until the day she is born. I automatically get 6 weeks off and can take up to 12 (5 paid, the rest unpaid or PTO).

May 6th, 2013, 06:41 AM
Veteran
I'm *hoping* to take the 12 weeks FMLA, but it really depends on finances. I'll be working up until I deliver. I have about 6 weeks of paid leave saved up, and my short term disability will pay for 5 weeks at 2/3 my salary. We also have a leave donation program at work that I'm hoping people are nice enough to contribute to.

I may end up only taking 8 or 10 weeks total if we can't swing if financially. I get SO jealous of people whose jobs pay for a few weeks, or live in countries with maternity leave resembling anything other than the 3rd-world treatment we get here in the U.S.
May 6th, 2013, 09:27 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I work full time and will be up until the baby is here! I am planning on taking 8 weeks off and then coming back to part time through the end of the year. So I will work 3 days a week until Christmas, then take off all of Christmas week. I plan on being back to working full time the first of the year.

***Thanks to Vicki for my awesome signature!!!***

1st OB Appt: 01/02 (6w0d) - Pregnancy confirmed!
2nd OB Appt/Ultrasound: 01/14 (7w5d) - Baby's heart rate 131
3rd OB Appt: 02/11 (11w5d) - Baby's heart rate 166
4th OB Appt: 03/11 (15w5d) - Baby's heart rate 150
Elective Gender Scan: 03/16 (16w2d) - It's a GIRL!!!
5th OB Appt/Anatomy Scan: 04/08 (19w5d) - Baby's heart rate 155
6th OB Appt: 05/06 (23w5d)- Baby's heart rate 148
7th OB Appt/Glucose Test: 06/03 (27w5d) -Baby's heart rate 144, Passed Glucose Test!
8th OB Appt: 06/14 (29w2d) - Baby's heart rate 140
9th OB Appt: 06/24 (30w5d) - Baby's heart rate 135
3D/4D Ultrasound: 06/29 - She looks like her Daddy!
10th OB Appt: 07/10 (33w0d) - Baby's heart rate 131
11th OB Appt: 07/22 (34w5d) - Baby's heart rate 140
12th OB Appt: 08/05 (36w5d) - Baby's heart rate 136; 2.5 cm dilated/80% effaced!
13th OB Appt: 08/12 (37w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3 cm dilated/80% effaced
14th OB Appt: 08/19 (38w5d) - Baby's heart rate 145; 3.5 cm dilated/80% effaced
Birthday 08/21/2013 - 6lbs, 12 oz, 19 inches long and PERFECT!
May 6th, 2013, 09:41 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Because I am a paralegal and mostly sit in my office, I won't be leaving until a couple of days before birth. I want to use my leave for after baby. I will be out for about 3 months.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
May 6th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Veteran
I am planning on taking 12 weeks total. With my job i'm on my feet all day, and some days its pretty busy. I'm hoping i can last a week or week and a half before i'm due, then the rest to recover and bond with baby. I have short and long term disability insurance so that will kick in at 60% pay at week 2 until 12. I have vacation to cover the first 2 weeks i'm gonna be off, and a little bit extra just in case i need to go part time a week or so earlier.
May 6th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Dirtroads's Avatar Facta Non Verba
I'm working until the day before C-section if I can! I haven't been there long enough to qualify for FMLA so my mandatory 8 weeks is without pay. I have an AFLAC policy that I am hoping will pay something for the hospital stay/ surgery and I also had a co-worker recently mention that she plans to donate leave to me (yippee!) I'm bummed that this time I will have to go right back to work, with my daughter I took 16 weeks under FMLA.

Make a pregnancy ticker
May 6th, 2013, 03:55 PM
Veteran
Baby is due on August 20th & I'm probably going to continue working until August 2nd. After that I'll take a week vacation time, and then hopefully start up with our Employment Insurance. I will get a year off at 55% of my salary. DH will likely have to work a bit more to help our finances, but I'm grateful that I'll have basically a full year with our baby. I have a meeting with one of our HR people tomorrow so I'll have a better idea about how much paperwork I'm looking at and when I have to get all that stuff done...

May 6th, 2013, 05:35 PM
Im already off work, 24 wks 5 days with twins.. cervix was shortening so now I have strict orders to lay around and rest

Cant say I mind it too much though lol.
May 6th, 2013, 06:54 PM
Veteran
I am having a hard time figuring this out. I am filling out my schedule for the summer right now. I am going to work 3 days a week hopefully up till baby comes, but I am so nervous about it! I am already super hot and moving slower. I work in childcare so we are outside a lot, always sit on the floor if we are sitting, go for lot of walks, etc. I know lots of people do it so i guess I can! I am not sure what is going to happen after I have the baby. I have been told that I get 6 weeks of disability, though I don't really know what that means. All I know is that I still get my health insurace for that period. Then it looks like I will not be going back to work, because they said I would have to pay for a full time child care slot, even though I work part-time. We might come to a compromise, but doesn't seem likely. Luckily I am not that worried about that, I stayed home with my older son and know that we can do it and I really actually don't care that much weather I go back or not. Not sure if that all makes sense. It is hard figuring this all out! I think being a part-time employee makes it extra tricky. No one else at work is part-time so there is not precedent for how I should do it.
May 7th, 2013, 01:59 AM
mariri's Avatar Veteran
i'm due 3 august but my c-sec is scheduled for the 29 July, i will start leave on the 29th of july but my Gynea said i can take sick leave for that weeks if i feel tired, i am taking three months and one month annual leave which makes it 4 months in total
May 7th, 2013, 06:39 AM
I'm self -employed. My plan is to work until I have the baby. My husband gets paternity leave so he will stay at home while i work and bring baby to me for nursing etc. I'm in canada, so my husband gets 8 months pay to stay home with babe. If he chooses. Because I own my own business i dont get that luxury.
With my last child i worked right until the same day I birthed her. Did a few clients in the morn with a broken water sac and went in later on and had her. Nice and smooth.lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search