Every moms worst fear.

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies
  • 1 Post By 321abc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 5th, 2013, 12:36 PM
Super Mommy
My best friend just shared with me that her 20 year old niece has a close friend who just lost her 7 week old baby to sids early this week. I felt so sick hearing about this. I can't imagine her grief. I can't get this tragedy off my mind.
Now I am thinking about what I can do to keep my baby safe. Is there anything??
May 5th, 2013, 12:49 PM
Super Mommy
Such sad news... I too can't imagine the heart ache that mother is going through :'( I wish there was something we could do that prevents SIDS 100% but unfortunately there's not... I've read up on things that cause the chances of it occurring to decrease but even then there's grey areas.

Prayers to her and her family..

May 5th, 2013, 01:15 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is so heartwrenching to hear!! I was terrified of SIDS so I got the angelcare baby monitor that supposedly detects if the baby stops moving/breathing.. but it is scary. An old college roommate of mine has a 6 month old that got flown to a pediatric hospital last night because he stopped breathing! His heart is fine but he is not breathing on his own but still alive. That is so scary not knowing what is going on with your baby!

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
May 5th, 2013, 01:42 PM
tparum's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via MSN to tparum Send a message via Yahoo to tparum
My thoughts and prayers go out to that family

Allways Remembering our Angels
Angelina Marie 08-02-99,William Dewayne 02-08-01,Thomas Ray 07-30-02 and BabyBean 02-22-08 and BabyBean 03/02/2012
May 5th, 2013, 02:02 PM
soaringphoenix's Avatar Mother Reborn
It really is a horrible thing. I work in the medical examiners office and it is very heartbreaking to see newborns get brought in. Sadly, we get SIDS/CO-Sleeping come in once or twice a week on avg and have to call the manner of death undetermined. They are in my thoughts and prayers.
May 5th, 2013, 02:06 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so heartbreaking. I cant imagine what they are going through.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
May 5th, 2013, 03:43 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
So horrible! I couldn't even imagine...

May 5th, 2013, 04:13 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
Oh my goodness that is so sad, I couldn't even imagine! Thoughts and prayers to that family!

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
May 5th, 2013, 05:30 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Awful A girl from my last due date group lost her baby to SIDS right before my little guy was born, it was heartbreaking for her and for all of us and I was terrified for the first year of the same thing happening to my baby {HUGS} and prayers to her. I couldn't imagine.

May 5th, 2013, 05:59 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's SO scary

Keeping baby sleeping close to you will help regulate their bodies when they are young. Doesn't have to be in bed with you if you aren't comfortable with that. Close by in the same room will even help.

Also, delaying the hep b vaccine instead of getting it at birth can help. There's a link between the hep b vaccine and sids. That doesn't mean hep b causes sids, but with the recent link, they just don't have enough information one way or the other, so it's a risk, and a highly unnecessary one, even for mamas who want to vaccinate on schedule. It makes sense, since I know quite a few kids who have gotten asthma from vaccines (doctor confirmed, that was just their person reaction and not necessary the norm).

As Dr. Jane Orient of the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS) testified to Congress:

"For most children, the risk of a serious vaccine reaction may be 100 times greater than the risk of hepatitis B."

From the same article:
"For instance, when babies die after hep B vaccinations, most of the time their deaths are automatically attributed to SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome) without investigation into whether the vaccine caused the baby's sudden death."

Hepatitis B Vaccine Highly Linked to Sudden Infant Death

More reading material:
Vaccines And Sudden Infant Death Syndrome
Vaccines and Sudden Infant Death Syndrome (SIDS): A Link? Thinktwice!
Do Vaccines Cause SIDS? « The Mommypotamus

Something else to consider:
In Japan, they stopped vaccinating babies under the age of 2 . . . and their SIDS rates plummeted. From what I understand, they then gave the option to parents to vaccinate younger if they wanted to, and then the rates went up again.
lovemylittlemiss likes this.
May 5th, 2013, 06:06 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thoughts and prayers to the family.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

May 5th, 2013, 07:45 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My thoughts and prayers are with the family!

There is a lot of information online about things that can help prevent SIDS, definitely look it all up when you have some free time!

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 5th, 2013, 08:32 PM
Platinum Supermommy
SIDS worries me sick My heart breaks for that family.

Some things my pediatrician told me that may help reduce the risk of SIDS:
1. Swaddling on their backs
2. Paci
3. Fan where baby is sleeping

I also make sure there is a carbon monoxide detector in baby's room. We also delay Hep B.
alittlelost likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 6th, 2013, 05:59 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is horrible! It makes me sick with grief. Ugh.

With regards to delaying the hep b vaccine, when do you delay it to?

May 6th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
The boys both got it first at 6 months but I could have done it at 3 months too.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 6th, 2013, 08:27 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesperleigh View Post
That is horrible! It makes me sick with grief. Ugh.

With regards to delaying the hep b vaccine, when do you delay it to?
Obviously we never get it, but whenever you think it's needed and feel comfortable getting it. If I were delaying solely for the purpose of SIDS, I'd wait until after 4 months at the very least, possibly for the first year. If I were delaying for other reasons, too (such as it just not being something kids need!) I would probably delay until school age or possibly the pre-teen years. When you get it is really based on what you believe, when you feel comfortable, when you think it's needed, and when you think your baby will be safest from any possible or potential side effects.
May 6th, 2013, 08:31 AM
321abc
Popping in from September.
How tragic!

I was terrified of SIDS after I had my son. I don't think I slept a wink the first few nights at home, I wanted to watch him breathe. I was obsessing over it. Finally The Lord spoke to my spirit and told me basically that I shouldn't worry, he has the best plan for mine and my children's life He didn't tell me that my son would be protected from SIDS but that it wasn't something I could prevent. That may not bring peace to everyone but it did me.

I think people confuse suffocation with SIDS. I believe in placing your little ones on their back to sleep and not putting any heavy blankets, pillows, etc in the bed with them but you could do everything in your power to prevent it and it could still happen. I know there are mothers who feel that they are to blame and it's no one's fault. That's the point I'm trying to make.
We can't let our minds go to that place.
PhD_Bound_Mommy likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search