Preeclampsia- Psyching Myself Out or True Symptoms?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Jen71

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 6th, 2013, 04:32 AM
Veteran
As a backstory, I am overweight but have ALWAYS have stellar blood pressure. Over the past 4 or 5 days I noticed my feet (and sometimes hands) swelling a lot, with pretty bad pitting edema. I thought it was somewhat normal to swell near the end of the second trimester so I didn't put much stock into it...until I googled it and found that if I also have high blood pressure it was pretty much guaranteed preeclampsia.

I went to Walgreens yesterday morning and checked my blood pressure when I walked in. It was 147/79. I freaked out, but sat there for another 15 minutes and tested twice more. My last reading was 121/76. I asked the pharmacist and he said it wasn't uncommon for people's first reading to be high because they first walk in and may be anxious about doing a BP reading. Weird because I've never in my life had blood pressure that high.

We have a BP machine at work so I just used it. My first reading was 153/82. Again, I freaked, but sat for 10 minutes and did it again and it came out as 118/72.

So my question is, do you think the abnormally high readings are a symptom of being anxious about HAVING a high reading, or do you think that the simple act of walking across Walgreens and my office building caused my BP to spike and only when I'm completely still it goes down?

Sorry for the long post. I know you're not medical doctors, but my doc doesn't open for another 1.5 hours and I'd just like to get some opinions before I panic.
May 6th, 2013, 04:51 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
As a preeclampsia "survivor" I can tell you that anything is possible, and nothing should be overlooked or shrugged off. With that, and not to sound alarmist, only a urine protein test in combination with high BP readings = preeclampsia. Pre-e is not to be messed with, so it can't hurt to let your dr know. Make sites you're well hydrated, eating plenty of protien and getting adequate (not too much, but not zero) sodium. Try an Epsom salt bath. It's a very good sign that your BP went down after resting! Good luck and take care.
mom2K&G likes this.

May 6th, 2013, 04:56 AM
Veteran
Thanks Jen! I have an appointment this Friday that originally I was going to wait for to address these issues, but I'm going to call the doc now as soon as they open.
May 6th, 2013, 05:10 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Good plan.

May 6th, 2013, 05:36 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
Definitely talk to your doc about it, but I hope it means something good that your numbers went down after repeated testing. Keep us posted!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 6th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
Another pre-eclampsia mama here. They consider anything below 140/90 as "normal" for me -- but it looks like you are flirting with that a bit. The bottom number is what they watch a little more closely, as it shouldn't fluctuate quite as much and is usually a better indicator of overall bp.

When you wear socks, do they leave an indentation on your feet? That was my biggest sign.

I agree with pp, it is the combo of protein in urine AND bp issues that qualifies it as pre-e, otherwise it could just be pregnancy induced hyper-tension.

Personally, I would put a call in to your dr. to see if they want you to come in sooner than your Friday appt. They probably will.

Also, be on the lookout for headaches, blurry vision, or upper right rib or shoulder pain.

My bp is always higher when I go to the doc, so see if you can get a cuff for home. Usually they can write you a prescription and it's pretty cheap to get one (30ish bucks).

Good luck and keep us posted!
May 6th, 2013, 09:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
If you're freaking out about it, it will cause your blood pressure to rise. Your numbers are not bad at all, especially if you were just walking around or busy on your feet, and then when you rest for a few minutes the numbers will decrease.
In my first pregnancy I had pre eclampsia and even while resting my blood pressure stayed high. Butit's good concern to bring up to your doctor

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggy!

May 6th, 2013, 04:15 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
Have you spoken to your dr? Mine was high last week and he ordered a 24 hour urine test and I am waiting on the results..... scary stuff
May 6th, 2013, 05:31 PM
I've been sending you low bp vibes all day
May 6th, 2013, 05:40 PM
Today at my app my bp wasn't high but I did have a 30 protein in my urine! What could this mean? He is having me do a 24 hour urine test. He said he wasn't worried about anything right now he just wanted to run further tests.
May 6th, 2013, 08:03 PM
I'm not sure what unit that is in. My docs told me that anything under 300 was okay, but that was after a 24 hr test. The dipsticks they used at regular appts went from 1-3 depending on color change. Take a deep breath and collect that urine! Keep us posted.
May 6th, 2013, 09:41 PM
Veteran
i do health exams for people and during these exams i always have to get three bp readings due to the fact my clients are nervous or running around just got off of work and a number of things going on and a large percentage of my clients first readings will be high. your readings are not extremely high and doctors usually look at the bottom number and once that hits about 90 or above they will show concern the top number tends to fluctuate a lot more i would ask the doctor about it maybe keep a log and show him. it seems like your bottom number is pretty stable. also with the swelling i had horrible i mean horrible swelling with my son pitting so bad the doctor thought it could be pre eclampsia and everything checked out fine. with this pregnancy the swelling and pitting has already begun but my bp was 112/73 today. i would definitely keep an eye on your bp but i dont think there would be cause for concern right now. as for the swelling lots and lots of water sleep on your left side it helps for some women...
May 7th, 2013, 05:00 AM
Veteran
Thanks for all the info and kind words ladies! I saw the doctor yesterday afternoon and while my blood pressure was a tad on the high side for me (133/72 compared to my usual 115/68ish), my urine looked good. I thought it was extremely odd that when I mentioned my concerns the NP said that I was too early in my pregnancy to really develop preeclampsia (I'm 24.5 weeks). I was told my pitting edema was pretty bad, but to wear support hose and drink lots of water. I have a regularly scheduled appt this Friday so I'll get checked on again then.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search