Left side best side? (Sleep)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree17Likes
  • 3 Post By Anchored
  • 2 Post By mom2K&G
  • 2 Post By miniRazz
  • 2 Post By ElliotsMommy13
  • 1 Post By Dandelion
  • 4 Post By FL Mama
  • 2 Post By lucyinthesky88
  • 1 Post By Hesperleigh

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 7th, 2013, 07:26 AM
Super Mommy
Hey all! I've been having the worse time trying to sleep. I know the left side is suppose to be the best side to sleep on but this heartburn.... It gets worse when I lay on my left side. And if I lay on my right I can't breathe as well. So I have to choose between breathing and a burning chest. Also lets not mention baby girl and her wild shenanigans on any given night. I use tums to manage the heartburn but unfortunately they don't last. How I cope is giving up on sleep and just telling myself this is preparation for the sleepless nights to come when baby arrives.

So how's your sleep ladies? Any advice? Any complaints you would like to share?

May 7th, 2013, 07:33 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Could you prop your head/shoulders up and sleep on your back? Sleeping on your back is only dangerous (potentially) if you're completely flat. When my heartburn/reflux was so bad I just propped up a ton of pillows and slept like that. It's not the most comfortable way to sleep but it was better than choking on fire lol
yvee80, Ray88 and mom2K&G like this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 7th, 2013, 07:36 AM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I'm having a really hard time as well. My favorite position to sleep is my right side! I can't breath very well after awhile though. So I switch to my left (which is best for baby) but i have a hard time getting comfortable. Forget sleeping on my back at this point! ugh.. I really feel your pain in not sleeping good. I just keep tossing and turning all night. I even use a pregnancy pillow but I miss sleeping on my right side!
mommy_to_nico and Ray88 like this.

May 7th, 2013, 07:47 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
My arms fall asleep and wake me up constantly when I sleep on my side. the last couple nights however I guess I've gotten into a comfy position on my right side and actually slept somewhat well (in between trips to the bathroom lol).
If I prop my head up I found the falling asleep arms got better however then my neck is all out of wack.
SO has really bad reflux and finds the only way to sleep when its a worse than usual night is prop himself up as much as he can, drink milk before bed and keep tums on the night stand.
Good luck!!!

May 7th, 2013, 08:05 AM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive gotten such bad heartburn a couple times that was soo bad I couldnt sleep but Ive started to realize what the triggers are and sometimes its really unusual.. The Taco Bell Happy Hour smoothie kind of drinks.. I had the pina colada one the other day and heartburn was HORRIBLE! so, I avoid all things that cause heartburn, try to eat smaller portions, and if I feel it coming on some I eat dairy or drink a glass of almond milk. Usually it calms itself down but not always. Also, as much as I want to eat later in night, I won't unless it is a bowl of cereal, yogurt, or toast and usually Im safe.. Middle of the night fix for me when I have to eat something.. a plain waffle toasted from the freezer. I hope you find something that works, though.

As for sleeping... I was comfier on my left with my pregnancy pillow for the longest time and now my shoulder gets sore and baby boy keeps kicking me in the left side when I lay on it so dont think he is a fan either. I sleep on the right when I can position myself to be comfy enough and still be able to breathe but then end op on the left at night. Ive also noticed a few times Ive waken up mid turn on my back like its too much effort to turn all the way. lol. I think I might start sleeping in my recliner surrounded by pillows at some point.

My biggest issue is getting too hot!! I dont have air conditioning and fans really irritate my breathing so Im sweaty when I wake up lately. sooo gross!

on the bright side ladies- we are more or less than 3 months to go already!

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
May 7th, 2013, 08:11 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My go to heart burn cure is ICE CREAM. It really does work wonderfully for me. Lol and tastes delicious. I also use tums but like you said, it doesn't last.

I sleep mostly on my sides and tuck my arm under my pillow so it doesn't fall asleep. I change positions a ton in the middle of the night.
Ray88 likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 7th, 2013, 08:57 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Could you prop your head/shoulders up and sleep on your back? Sleeping on your back is only dangerous (potentially) if you're completely flat. When my heartburn/reflux was so bad I just propped up a ton of pillows and slept like that. It's not the most comfortable way to sleep but it was better than choking on fire lol
I do sleep with my back proped with pillows. However im not a back sleeper so I often end up turning on my side in the middle of the night. But that position foes help me get at least a few hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
My go to heart burn cure is ICE CREAM. It really does work wonderfully for me. Lol and tastes delicious. I also use tums but like you said, it doesn't last.

I sleep mostly on my sides and tuck my arm under my pillow so it doesn't fall asleep. I change positions a ton in the middle of the night.
Mmmm... I will have try ice cream for heartburn then. Im not a big fan of milk but ice cream I can do. Lol

May 7th, 2013, 09:31 AM
FL Mama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
You all are making me feel guilty for not feeling miserable at night. LOL!! I do get heartburn, but a couple Tums clears it right up. And I'm sleeping very well - knock on wood. I hope you all can find some relief.

Noah Joseph - 8/22/03
Jonah Thomas - 9/29/05
Patricia Carryl - Due 8/23/13

Missing my Heavenly Babies - 10/28/04 - 14wks & Baby Born Still - 10/18/11 - 17wks

May 7th, 2013, 02:30 PM
Veteran
I toss between lying on the left and right sides all night long. I try to sleep on my left when I can but it really hurts my back and I always have to lay with a pillow between my legs when I lay on the left side. And when I lay on the right the baby kicks like crazy... not sure he's a fan of the right side. Oh well... I guess you win some and lose some
May 8th, 2013, 06:35 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried having watermellon before bed? It's finally coming into season again (thank goodness because I am craving it like crazy) and I read that it is supposed to be wonderful for heart burn! Also for swelling as long as you don't put salt on it.
Ray88 likes this.

May 9th, 2013, 06:52 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doctor told me either side is fine, just no back sleeping! I am a back sleeper though, so I have been struggling with that. The best position I have found is to put a pillow under half of my body so that I am on my back, but not flat. My Dr said that is the only way I can back sleep Hope you can get some sleep!

Oh and my baby girl is a night owl too! Wakes me up all the time!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search