Weight gain--need healthy ideas

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree20Likes
  • 1 Post By PhD_Bound_Mommy
  • 5 Post By mirdeemrlvs
  • 3 Post By MommyPenguin4
  • 1 Post By Jhendrickson
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By Dandelion
  • 3 Post By Jhendrickson
  • 1 Post By Ruthysb
  • 1 Post By BabyT_heart_beat
  • 1 Post By mirdeemrlvs
  • 2 Post By kjm

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 10th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Jhendrickson's Avatar Veteran
Hi there--went to the doctor this morning and received a lecture. I'm 25 weeks and have gained 26 lbs. I honestly don't think in eating poorly. I am a tall, thjn girl who has NEVER had to monitor what I eat. I eat cereal in the mornings, salad (chicken) at lunch (or something like that), always with fruit, and meat with veggies for dinner. I have to admit that Ive had my fair share of ice cream but I'm not sure what would be better to eat and still fill me up?

Also...had a Burger King shake (yes I know I'm ridiculous and shouldn't have had this!!) this afternoon and by the time I got home to eat it, it had melted mostly. Well that made me feel so gross afterward. I checked all the websites and Burger King uses pasteurized milk so I don't think I should worry. I took a. Tums and feel better, just gassy.

Ok--help me out!
May 10th, 2013, 05:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Depending on where you started out, under/over/normal, with your weight, you can gain on average up to 40/50 pounds. Once again that is based off where you started when you got pregnant.
Jhendrickson likes this.
May 10th, 2013, 05:07 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I always gained 50/60 with my other pregnancies, and never got a lecture!! I started out overweight and I have gained 16 so far. Doing the best I can and would be crushed if I got a lecture!!! Doesn't sound like you needed one at all!!

May 10th, 2013, 05:24 PM
Super Mommy
Did your doctor give you a weight range he/she wanted you to gain during the pregnancy? I was overweight pre pregnancy so my doctor only wants me to gain a total of 15 to 20 lbs.

Also, I know what helps a lot is eating 5 to 6 small meals throughout the day. I eat cereal in the morning too or eggs, yogurts with fruit and granola and then small meals about every 2 hours. It helps your metabolism and is good for baby

ps. Enjoying a shake now and then is OK!! If you never allow yourself treats you end up wanting them more BF will take me out every now and then and we get scoops of ice cream or sundaes at Sonic so don't feel too bad about it! As long as it's in moderation and not TOO frequently

May 10th, 2013, 05:33 PM
I started out normal weight . I'm 5'8 and was 139. Now 165. Yes, she said to break my meals up into 5 smaller meals rather than three big ones. I will start doing that ASAP.
Ray88 likes this.
May 10th, 2013, 05:43 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Small frequent meals.
High protein.
Lots of vegetable.
Sweets (including fruits) in moderation. (Cereal is high in sugar, so might want to switch that out for a healthier breakfast, maybe an egg, a slice of whole wheat toast, and a small serving of fresh fruit)
Low fats and keep the fats you do have healthy (avocado, olives, etc).
Drink lots of water. Avoid juice and soda as much as possible.
Also, try to get some light exercise, like going for a walk.

I'm gaining more than I should this pregnancy, too, but it's my own fault. When I eat like I stated above the weight gain is slow.
Jhendrickson likes this.
May 10th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think you should be proud that you've stuck to a pretty healthy diet! if I told you what I'm guilty of eating lol lol

Some times our bodies just need to gain more weight than we might think is right. What does your doctor say about your weight gain so far?
mommy_to_nico likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 10th, 2013, 06:07 PM
She gave me the stink eye for it this morning and encouraged m not to continue down the same track. Grrrr--it was too early in the morning for the stink eye!
May 10th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Veteran
Sounds like you are doing ok to me! you started out pretty skinny and are eating mostly healthy. Of course I am not a dr. Also, different dr.s have very different takes on this. I started out at a healthy weight last time i was preggo and gained 60 pounds and my dr.s never said anything. However, I don't think it was too healthy. This time I am being so much more careful and pretty much eating the way I normally do, maybe even more healthy. I was doing great with weight gain until recently now it is just packing on--I am at almost 20 lbs at 26 weeks and started out a little overweight or atleast close to overweight. Ugghhh! I feel like I would have to be SOOOOO careful not to gain, like almost dieting and that just doesn't seem right. I am frustrated about it, but trying to step things up and be even more healthy. I have also been walking. Looking forward to more suggestions on this thread!
MommyPenguin4 likes this.
May 10th, 2013, 10:46 PM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
I got a mini lecture today also sans the stink eye. She did emphasize lots of protein, fruits, veggies and plenty of water. I am good about fruit and water. Terrible at the 6 meals a day. I will be 25 wks Sunday and measuring 25.5. I have gained 17 lbs thus far she said if I keep gaining like that I will be miserable in the end.....as opposed to what?!?

Anywho now that its warming up I plan on walking a lot more and hopefully that helps a bit too.

..oh also I just read in my pregnancy book about the breakdown of a 25 lb. weight gain and like 17 lbs of that is baby, increased blood flow, fluids, weight of placenta, etc. Anyone know anything about that??
Jhendrickson likes this.

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

Last edited by BabyT_heart_beat; May 10th, 2013 at 10:50 PM.
May 10th, 2013, 10:48 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthysb View Post
Sounds like you are doing ok to me! you started out pretty skinny and are eating mostly healthy. Of course I am not a dr. Also, different dr.s have very different takes on this. I started out at a healthy weight last time i was preggo and gained 60 pounds and my dr.s never said anything. However, I don't think it was too healthy. This time I am being so much more careful and pretty much eating the way I normally do, maybe even more healthy. I was doing great with weight gain until recently now it is just packing on--I am at almost 20 lbs at 26 weeks and started out a little overweight or atleast close to overweight. Ugghhh! I feel like I would have to be SOOOOO careful not to gain, like almost dieting and that just doesn't seem right. I am frustrated about it, but trying to step things up and be even more healthy. I have also been walking. Looking forward to more suggestions on this thread!
I'm with you.. I read about other women who have trouble gaining and it's just not fair!!! WHINE!! I've always used pregnancy as an excuse to eat what I want, but this time I am really watching it- I do indulge occasionally, otherwise I would go crazy! But, I have to watch what I eat or I pack on the pounds SOOO quickly. Especially since about week 23. My appetite has picked up a lot and it's hard to continually make good choices.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

May 11th, 2013, 07:43 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I gained weight like this:
5 lbs from 4 wks to 10 wks (I think from the twin pregnancy in the beginning)
then 1 lb from 10 wks to 19wks
then 5 lbs from 19 wks to 22wks
then 9lbs from 22 wks to 26 wks (this was the point I realized I need to make some changes)

Now from 26 wks to 28 wks I haven't gained anything so far... but I'm sure I'll have more gain by my next appointment. I'm eating more now, though, just in smaller more frequent portions, and healthier. I also eat a lot of salad now (which makes a great "filler" with meals).

So now I am up 20 lbs at 28 weeks. BUT I was also 20 lbs over my NORMAL weight before I even got pregnant.... so as I see it, I already have 40 lbs to lost after I have this baby, and I still have a few months left to gain more wish I'd been more careful with my eating earlier on.
May 11th, 2013, 10:15 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was up 17 pounds at 23 weeks at my last check, my dr said it was fine but that it WAS on the high end of normal. And I gained like 6 of that in 4 weeks. I've been trying to be more careful with what I eat but it's hard, I feel like I wasn't eating that bad before. I do a salad or veggies or something like that for lunch 90% of the time, egg whites and toast or oatmeal or something or breakfast, and dinner varies but usually pretty healthy....I'll admit sometimes it's junk and sometimes I am snacking on junk, and I do want dessert every night, so none of that is helping. I'm sure, LOL. But I *do* also want to enjoy the pregnancy, so it's hard to find a balance. I'm also trying REALLY hard to power walk hills for a mile or so (30 minutes) on the treadmill 5-6 days a week but it's getting harder with getting bigger and my sciatica acting up, etc. But I'm trying!

I get weighed in again at my appointment on Wednesday and I'm scared LOL

May 11th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I moniter my calorie intake with myfitnesspal.com

Sounds like you're eating healthy things but calories sneak in there and sometimes not for the good!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

May 11th, 2013, 07:44 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's rude that you got a lecture and you haven't gained a HUGE amount! I hate that, I got a lecture from my OB before I even gained weight, she was rude about prevention even. It sounds like you're doing good and eating generally healthy things. Your body knows how much it needs to gain and everyone is different. I was eating very healthy when I was pregnant last time and was as active as I could be and I still gained 56 pounds, I didn't get a lecture and I lost it very quickly after baby was born without really changing anything.
mamalamb and Jhendrickson like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search