Meal Replacement Shakes?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By ElliotsMommy13
  • 1 Post By KASHWORTH
  • 2 Post By BabyT_heart_beat

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2013, 01:14 PM
Super Mommy
This is probably a dumb FTM question but I was curious!

I used to drink these meal alternative shakes in the mornings before heading to work because my stomach can be kind of sensitive in the mornings. If I eat too much or something too heavy I would get nauseous. So these were perfect because it was light and had all the vitamins I needed to start my day off right!

Well when I got pregnant I obviously stopped but now I keep eye balling them in my cupboard and am wondering if there are really bad for me? They're not like the Slim Fast ones that help you stay fuller longer, they're the store brand ones. I also used to drink a shake as a "dessert" at night after dinner if I got the munchies all the sudden and I felt they were better for me right before bed rather than eating ice cream or something else bad

So my question is, (and this might be something I would just have to ask my doctor) are these shakes really bad for me and baby? I would love to be able to drink these again especially since my appetite and sugar tooth are insane and I want to have something simple to turn to that's also healthy for me when I get those cravings! I wouldn't be using it as an actual meal replacement by the way, just an in between meals snack/craving go to

I tried to find a link online showing it's nutritional values but couldn't find any good ones :/ It's the Kroger Brand Slim Rite Meal Alternative Shake Mix in French Vanilla.

May 11th, 2013, 01:42 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was in the gym, 5x a week and using those for breakfast and lunch and healthy snacks before getting pregnant and they worked amazing for me for that but they were replacements not diet things. I still had some while pregnant. I did not use that brand though so I am not sure. I didnt want to eat anything my first trimester and I could drink those and it gave me some vitamins and nutrition during that time and I was not worried! Then with feeling so nauseous when I woke up in the middle of the night I would drink those to soothe it. I would think if you use them as snacks you could potentially gain weight as it has enough of what you need for a meal.. but it is a better choice than ice cream. Make sure you check the nutrition label, though because some things like Vitamin A in high doses is bad for pregnant women. I wouldn't worry too much but before using them some but maybe bring a can in to your next appointment to be looked at?
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!

Last edited by ElliotsMommy13; May 11th, 2013 at 04:46 PM.
May 11th, 2013, 03:24 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't use anything specifically made for losing weight (and I don't know that brand) but I have a nutrition shake that I occasionally drink if I'm too sick to keep anything down, or sometimes I did use that for breakfast when I was running late for school. Just make sure you're getting enough actual calories and not replacing meals, but also not getting too many calories at the same time.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
May 12th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I will be bringing in the can with me tomorrow at my appointment just to make sure because yes I understand now that I need to be careful with powders that have vitamins since I don't want to get getting too much of something!

In the meantime I found a yummy shake recipe online that is DELICIOUS! It's super simple to make too

Banana, milk, some ice, peanut butter, a drop of vanilla, cinnamon and vanilla yogurt! I want to add some whey protein powder in there too since I noticed I RARELY eat meats now. Mostly fruits and veggies but I will wait and bring in that can as well

May 12th, 2013, 02:29 PM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
I drink the Carnation Breakfast drink. It's not the diet drink and it really helps when I feel like I am famished when I first wake up and cooking something would take too long. I don't drink it often because the nutrients in food is probably better for baby.
FL Mama and MommyPenguin4 like this.

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search