What does your cervix feel like?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 4 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By kjm
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 11th, 2013, 02:39 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So I'm 26 weeks and I felt up there for the first time in a while and noticed that my cervix feels kinda flat and mushy and soft, and kind of like there's a raised ring around the edges and I can fit my fingertip inside the ring. It doesn't feel like it's open open, it was just so weird to feel it like that, so I don't know if it's still closed or if it's in the process of opening or something! I didn't want to push to see if it would go further. I haven't had contractions and at my 20 week appointment they said my cervix was long and normal looking, but it was just weird to feel it so different than earlier in my pregnancy or pre-pregnancy. Does your cervix normally feel that soft and flat like I described? I will bring it up to my doctor on my appointment Friday, cuz I'm not losing fluid or feeling uncomfortable in any way, it just freaked me out! I'm suddenly terrified of going into labor this early and losing the baby.

Last edited by Allie_SMg; May 11th, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
May 11th, 2013, 03:01 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Not sure what normal is. I check mine (gently) about once a month because of my history, and last month it was normal (closed) but mushy, which I think is normal for pregnancy. This month it was a little open (1/2 a cm or 1 cm) but I know I will basically just dilate really slowly until I deliver. I do monitor though because once it gets past a certain point I know I need to really kick it up a gear with the bed rest.

FYI, this discussion has been had in pregnancy groups before, so just letting you know now some people might come in and tell you how dangerous it is to check your cervix, etc. And I respect that they feel that way. However, it's VERY different checking yourself gently and on rare occasion versus being checked by a doctor. AND if they think that is bad, they must not have sex ever, because sex is definitely rougher on the cervix than checking yourself gently (and sex is safe during sex unless you are told otherwise).

As long as your nails are very trim and smooth (so you don't irritate your cervix) and your hands are clean (so you don't risk infection) it's perfectly safe to do, and certainly a gentler method than being checked by a doctor.

For what it's worth, if I wasn't checking my own cervix, my daughter could have been born anywhere between 28 and 32 weeks. I wasn't having painful contractions so there was no reason I would have had to otherwise think I was risking premature birth. Instead, we found out I was dilating at 28 weeks and found out I was 4cm at 32 weeks, and I was able to manage bed rest until 35 weeks when my water broke and I had to deliver.
kjm, Allie_SMg, Ray88 and 1 others like this.

Last edited by alittlelost; May 11th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.
May 11th, 2013, 03:19 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I really don't know. I'll be interested to read the responses you get as well. I felt mine a while ago, I was used to checking mine a lot when TTC, and I was surprised that it felt really open! Like I could easily fit my fingertip inside, but like you said didn't push it or anything and did it gently. Ever since I haven't checked because it kind of freaked me out. I don't know about normal but it definitely didn't feel like that with DS.
Allie_SMg likes this.

May 11th, 2013, 04:06 PM
Allie_SMg's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kelsey, that makes me feel better! And maybe it does change throughout the day or weeks on and off. I'll still bring it up in case, but my doctor isn't an OB, just a general practitioner, so I'm not very trusting of his opinion, even though that sounds bad. lol

May 11th, 2013, 04:33 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I have always been told it's pretty normal to be a fingertip dilated (which is what it sounds like) for the latter part of pregnancy. I wouldn't stress too much
Allie_SMg likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search