Non-Vax Mamas: Flu Vaccine only 1% effective in preventing flu?! (and discussion)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By BabyT_heart_beat
  • 1 Post By MsRK
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 07:23 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Study results show influenza vaccines are nearly worthless

Here's the nitty gritty facts of this particular study
-1/2 of the studies used were funded by the vaccine industry themselves.

"The corresponding figures [of people showing influenza symptoms] for poor vaccine matching were 2% and 1% (RD 1, 95% CI 0% to 3%)" say the study authors. And by "poor vaccine matching," they mean that the strain of influenza viruses in the vaccine are a poor match for the strains circulating in the wild. This is usually the case in the real world because the vaccine only incorporates last year's viral strains and cannot predict which strains will be circulating this year.

In other words, you would have to vaccinate 100 people to reduce the number of people showing influenza symptoms by just one. For ninety-nine percent of the people vaccinated, the vaccine makes no difference at all!

In a "best case" scenario when the viral strain in the influenza vaccine just happens to match the strain circulating in the wild -- a situation that even the study authors call "uncommon" -- the results were as follows: "4% of unvaccinated people versus 1% of vaccinated people developed influenza symptoms (risk difference (RD) 3%, 95% confidence interval (CI) 2% to 5%)."

In other words, the matching vaccine (which is uncommon in the real world) reduced influenza infections in 3 out of 100 people. Or, put another way, 97% of those injected with the vaccine received no benefit (and no different outcome). (Remember, that is in BEST CASE scenario when the vaccine strain is an exact match, which generally isn't the case).

Furthermore, the study's conclusions go on to state:

• "Vaccination had... no effect on hospital admissions or complication rates."

• "Vaccine use did not affect the number of people hospitalized or working days lost."

• "The review showed that reliable evidence on influenza vaccines is thin but there is evidence of widespread manipulation of conclusions..."

• "There is no evidence that [influenza vaccines] affect complications, such as pneumonia, or transmission." (Got that? Vaccines do not affect transmission of the disease, yet that's the whole reason vaccines are pushed so heavily during pandemics -- to block disease transmission.)

• "In average conditions (partially matching vaccine) 100 people need to be vaccinated to avoid one set of influenza symptoms."

And finally, the study author's summary concludes with this whopper of a statement: "Our results may be an optimistic estimate because company-sponsored influenza vaccines trials tend to produce results favorable to their products and some of the evidence comes from trials carried out in ideal viral circulation and matching conditions and because the harms evidence base is limited."

-so basically, saying it works for 1-3 in 100 people is an OPTIMISTIC estimate Think about that.

-so why are the vaccine companies saying "protect yourself from the flu by getting the flu vaccine"? any other manufacturer would be accused of false advertising. In fact, a company promising results with a product that only works 1% of the time CAN be charged with criminal fraud. Unless, of course, they are a vaccine manufacturer

Read the Cochrane summary heret:
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/o/coc...cles/CD001269/...

It's entitled, "Vaccines for preventing influenza in healthy adults"

On a side note, this has me wondering now. So a lot of vaccines claim to be 60-90% effective, etc, right? (and that is with vaccine failure rates being vastly underreported) But assuming those rates are true, how much more "effective" are they than not having the vaccine? IE: Let's say if you get the MMR vaccine, there is an 80% you won't catch the measles if you come in contact. BUT what is the percentage you catch it without the vaccine? If it's say, 25% or 30%, then the vaccine is claiming efficiency for the whole 80% when really it's only protecting you 5-10% more than your peers. (I haven't found any studies on this, FYI, I'm proposing an idea that I think should be explored, that is ALL). but this would be good to know, if it were the case. It would better help parents decide which vaccines they want to get and when, better assess the risks and benefits of vaccinating or not vaccinating, etc.

What do you think?
May 14th, 2013, 12:02 AM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
That's interesting but I don't think there will ever be a vaccination that works 100% of the time which makes you wonder why they suggest you get so many if it's not guaranteed to be effective. I got the varicella vaccine as a child and still got chicken pox which increases my chances of shingles. My parents might as well said screw it.

But I think they use scare tactics more than informative education about vaccinations because they say if you don't vaccinate, your kids are more likely to get sick but how can they say that if they are pretty much ineffective at times. I don't disagree that they don't work to a certain degree but I think that ALOT of research should be involved before making a decision. I've never gotten a flu shot because frankly I don't think they work. And like the survey says you can't foretell a flu strain so you can only make a vaccine AFTER the fact but by that time a new strain has developed. This topic can go in many directions because there are so many views and opinions.
alittlelost likes this.

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

May 14th, 2013, 12:42 AM
MsRK's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking from the April DDC.. (Well newly playroom now)..

This is always a hot button issue with people who believe you need vaccines and people who say that you don't need them. I went back and forth on this issue since I was pregnant through what they were calling the worse flu season yet.

I was getting ALL kinds of scare stories of what COULD happen if I got the flu while pregnant and how I NEEDED the vaccine. I had NEVER gotten the flu vaccine even as a child because even then, my mother was opposed to them and was convinced that they caused other issues in children more than they prevented the flu. And I am 37 now and back then the information on flu vaccines weren't readily and easily available like they are now. So even back then people were convinced that they were more harm than good.

A few years ago I told this to my doctor and she was all dramatic about how much I needed my flu shot. I told her that I could only remember having the flu once and asked her why I needed it. She went on and on about it and convinced me to get it. So I did. The next morning I was sick as a dog and was sooo incredibly sick for 4 days after. I stayed home from work for 4 days trying to shake the illness that I got from that shot. And I NEVER called out from work for unscheduled days off. That was kind of my thing, so you can imagine how sick I had to be to call out for four days!!

The very next year when flu season rolled around again and my doctor wanted to give me the vaccine I told her how sick it made me the year prior. She said that the vaccine doesn’t give you the flu. I said well if I didn’t have the flu I had something so darn similar that it was ridiculous. High fever and the whole nine too. She went on about how my body had to get used to the vaccine since I hadn’t had it before and that I will be fine to get it now since my body was used to it. FINE. I let her give it to me again and WHAMMOO! I went down again for 4-5 days. So this shot that was supposed to keep me from having the flu was giving me a similarly severe illness each time. So the years after that I denied the vaccine and didn’t get sick at all. GO FIGURE!

Now they were pushing it on me because I was pregnant and I had to decide: Do I get the vaccine and get a similarly bad illness while pregnant with the high fever that puts my unborn child at risk? Or do I skip the darn thing and take my chances that I MAAYYYY contract the flu virus. So after way more research about what is in the vaccines and how it could effect my baby, I passed. My husband decided that he would go ahead and get the shot anyway.

Long story short.. He got the flu. I was fine and didn’t get sick once! It was ridiculous! To me the vaccine is useless and does more harm than good for your unborn child. Just reading the list of whats in the vaccine is enough for me to pass on it. My mother was onto something way back then and she had SIX children and we are all fine.

Getting the vaccine is a decision that everyone has to make for themselves. As long as it is an informed decision after you have educated yourself on the actual FACTS of the vaccine and not what your doctor has to say about it. If you want to be even more unnerved, do some research on the ties between the CDC and big pharmaceutical companies or how "effective" the vaccine was during the flu season that just passed.
alittlelost likes this.
May 14th, 2013, 06:27 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks for sharing MsRK. I would say 90% or more of the people I know personally have similar stories! I knows what feels like an endless amount of people who have never had the flu vaccine and never had the flu (me included) and people who, like you, were talked into it during a really bad flu season (which seems to be their claim every year now...) and that was the ONLY time they got the flu, the one time they got the shot. The scare tactics are a bit too obvious. I've been researching this for years, and there's a lot of interesting things out there. I mean, look no further than the things the CDC has admitted to Congress themselves! Or their charts before they crop them to make the vaccine APPEAR responsible for decline in a disease. Or the diseases that eradicated withOUT any vaccine having been made or administered. Or how vaccines are supposed to work, even in theory, which isn't even the way they are used. Even the SUPPOSED benefits don't outweigh the known risks. I also recommend people get their hands on a copy of the CDC pink book, and of course look at studies that aren't funded directly or indirectly by vaccine manufacturers. AND even look at the studies that are, but look at them objectively. Don't look at their interpretation of the numbers. As yourself why the most important details in those studies were left out and why the numbers were presented the way they were as opposed to what they often times clearly suggest.

(To each their own, but of course, that's why I gear these threads toward non-vax mamas. I don't want to start a debate or make anyone feel bad for not vaccinating; but I do want to support non-vaccinating mamas by helping them realize they have good reason to skip the vaccines if that is what they choose for their family).

I'm really glad you stopped by and shared your story <3
MsRK likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search