Appt update...cervix shortening?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By soccermamatomany
  • 1 Post By alittlelost

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 13th, 2013, 01:46 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So I had a dr appt today, mostly looking good, Max is growing on track/ahead and he is projecting him to be 8.5 or so pounds if I go full term Rechecking my RH status and iron, etc later this week. My cervix is shortening though? It was 5 or 6 cm long 4 weeks ago and was 3.01 today. He actually thought my water was bulging for a second on u/s but it wasn't, thank goodness, he thinks I was just maybe contracting a little and it made it look like it was. Anyway he said they get concerned when you are under 3 cm and pretty worried if it is under 2.5...? Anyone have experience with this? I go back in two weeks and will be on two week appointments for a few visits and then start my NSTs.

OK no idea why my post showed up in bold print and a weird font LOL

May 13th, 2013, 02:46 PM
mrsmckenzie1's Avatar Veteran
I have a short cervix. I also have a cerclage in because of it but i was 2.1 at 13 weeks. It is normal for the cervix to shorten towards delivery. It can go weeks with no change and then change drastically in a day. As long as they are monitoring it. If it goes to short since your past cerclage phase they will prob order bedrest

May 13th, 2013, 03:20 PM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine was 3.38 at 20 weeks. Doctor said that was good (actually anything over 3 is good after 20 weeks is what I have been told). I wouldn't worry unless it goes below 2.5.
alittlelost likes this.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
May 13th, 2013, 06:10 PM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I've always heard that it's normal to be shortening as we get later into the pregnancy, but I have no idea about numbers. What the others are saying sounds right, though. Hopefully you won't have anything to worry about.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 13th, 2013, 06:14 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Ditto the other ladies. a little shorter this late in the game isn't really a cause for concern. My midwife is thrilled with anything over 3.
May 13th, 2013, 06:17 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK thanks, I wonder why he seemed sort of concerned...? Glad to hear it's probably nothing to worry about!

May 13th, 2013, 07:47 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What Is a Normal Cervix Length? | preventpretermbirth

What Is a Normal Cervix Length?

"Cervical length at approximately 24 weeks into a pregnancy is an excellent predictor of a pregnant woman’s risk of preterm birth."

"One study found that at 24 weeks gestation, the average cervix length is 3.5 cm. When cervical length is less than 2.2 cm, women face a 20 percent probability of preterm delivery."

"Another study found that when the cervical length measures 1.5 cm or less, the risk of spontaneous preterm birth is almost 50 percent."

Hope that helps. I think at 26, almost 27 weeks, that 3.1cm isn't that bad when 3.5 is average at 24 weeks. Earlier in pregnancies 4-5cm is normal, so most people's cervix stat shortening around 20 weeks or so.
mamalamb likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search