Can't Stop Sleeping on My Back

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By JessKeller24
  • 4 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By HollyNE2

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 14th, 2013, 06:01 AM
Veteran
So I've been a back sleeper for many many years. I know that sleeping on your back isn't good for baby, and I've tried everything possible to stop doing it. I have body pillows, a pillow "fort" to prop me up, and a husband who wakes me up repeatedly during the night to tell me to roll onto my side. None of it really works. I'll fall asleep on my side and almost instantly roll onto my back (throwing off my fort pillows in a sleepy stupor).

I asked my OB about it and all she did was say "don't sleep like that, it's bad for baby" and give me the exact same suggestions I'm already doing. After doing some Googling it looks like thoughts are varied on the subject and I'm starting to think that if it were truly bad, my body wouldn't naturally WANT to do it. Any other opinions or suggestions?
May 14th, 2013, 06:08 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think its bad because of the vein, you could possible pinch it off and not get oxygen to baby, but I'd assume, then you'd also be pinching blood off from your legs, and you'd wake up from your legs falling asleep before any damage was done. I'm a belly sleeper, but lately I find myself sleeping on my back. But I can't sleep all night like that because eventually I can't breathe.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

May 14th, 2013, 06:11 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally think (based on my prior pregnancy) that if being on your back isn't waking you up yet, it's probably okay for now. I often wake up on my back too, despite doing everything you mentioned. The further along you get you'll realize that the big reason back sleeping is bad is because it puts pressure on that artery (too early to remember which haha), and when that happens you can't breathe or get dizzy. As I was further with Chase, I started waking up because I couldn't breathe and then my body stopped turning by itself.

I definitely think we should do all we can to avoid it but I don't think it's a real issue until its causing physical stuff.

Oh- something that sorta works for me: I put a pillow under me but only one side. It tricks me a bit into thinking I'm on my back because technically I AM laying on my back but the pillow is making me tilted. If the makes any sense lol

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 14th, 2013, 06:17 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the above, its not good for you or baby because of the vein that directly feeds baby. However I would think that your body will tell you when its time to stop or you'll just feel that when you're sleeping you'll naturally roll back to your side.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

May 14th, 2013, 08:40 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I have the same issue. I am a back sleeper, and find myself on my back all the time. But recently I am waking up in the middle of the night with a headache because I'm on my back and it relieves itself as soon as I roll onto my side. I think it's just my body's way of telling me to roll over.

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

May 14th, 2013, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Have you tried sleeping on the couch? I know it sounds weird, but when during my last pregnancy I woke up on my back whenever I slept in my bed and I just couldn't get comfortable. So, I tried sleeping on the couch and I never moved off my left side.
I sleep on the couch sometimes during this pregnancy because the back of the couch supports my back and it is much more comfortable to me.
Ray88 likes this.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggy!

May 14th, 2013, 11:05 AM
Super Mommy
Yup I agree with all the ladies as well. I sometimes wake up on my back with my legs going numb lol I do what Momma2Chase does as well with the body pillow wedged under one side of your body so it feels like you're sleeping on your back but you're really not. You're at an angle so I can lay like that a lot longer I will wake up with my hips and shoulders hurting from being on my side so I'll lay over on my body pillow and lay like that for a while until I feel alright going back on my side

May 14th, 2013, 12:36 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am not usually a back sleeper and yet lately I keep ending up on my back despite all efforts not to as well. Wish I had a solution for you. It worries me.
May 14th, 2013, 02:56 PM
Veteran
I find myself waking up on my back occasionally and it also makes me worry because I wake a little short of breath. I like the suggestion given by Momma2Chase and MommyPenguin about putting a pillow behind you that you can sort of lay on... I do that for some of my patients at work who can sleep lying on their back for a variety of reasons. Maybe something you could try
May 14th, 2013, 03:33 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was waking on my back out of breath last week so I have been sleeping with TONS of pillows stuffed into my pregnancy pillow so I cant move. I wake up really hot with no blankets but its not on my back. I hope you can find something comfortable to get you sleep on the side.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
May 14th, 2013, 04:36 PM
yvee80's Avatar SmileyMom
Location: McDonough, GA by way of Charlotte, NC and my home NY!!!!
Same here, I don't know why I can't stop and i am not a back sleeper at all!!!

*Thanks Jaidyn's mum for my beautiful siggy

>
May 14th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think sleeping flat on your back can cause issues. Can you try propping part of your body up?

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search