28 Week Appointment Yesterday and Glucose Question :)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By Kelllilee
  • 1 Post By Irishgirl99
  • 2 Post By MommyPenguin4
  • 1 Post By Mself145

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 15th, 2013, 11:49 AM
Super Mommy
Appointment went well! I'm measuring EXACTLY at 28 Weeks... woo!

Baby Rose's heart beat was good and strong.

I was wondering, FTM here and I know some of you ladies talk about being checked for dilation and such and they never do that to me. They just check baby's heart beat, my measurement and then answer any of my questions. I also asked about if I get any more ultrasounds bc I'm worried about her being breached and I would want to know early so I could try to get her to move into position naturally and they told me I only get 2 ultrasounds during my pregnancy unless there was an issue so I don't have anymore coming up! How do they know she's in position or not then?

Also... I was a goof and completely forgot (I blame the pregnancy!) that I was also there to do my glucose test so what did I have for breakfast?!! A bowl of sugary cereal and toast with jelly on it... UGH!!!! I'm pretty sure I'm going to fail now lol and I REALLY don't want to do that 3 hour one! The drink made me nauseous and I don't want to sit there for 3 hours lol What does it mean if you do fail it? Baby has always been measuring right on track so can I just opt out of it? Like I said FTM here so forgive me if these are silly questions, I don't know how important this test it if it is!

May 15th, 2013, 11:54 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't worry about them not checking you, you shouldn't be checked unless there are issues of contractions and/or your close to your EDD. With my last baby I was checked one time the entire pregnancy (wasn't even at the beginning) and that was at the very end of my pregnancy when I was 3 days past my EDD. I also doubt I will get anymore ultrasounds unless they want to check on my cyst. It's all normal. They can usually tell on baby's position when they check your fundal height and heartbeat.

As for the glucose test, just cross that bridge when you get there. I've never done the 3 hour but have had to repeat the 2 hour one (we do 2 hour ones here) twice. That SUCKED. Blah. I hope you pass.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

May 15th, 2013, 12:05 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
Typically you get 1-2 ultrasounds and cervical checks starting around 37 weeks. Not all OBs do the same, but that's pretty common. I usually refuse cervical checks since there's really not much point to them. As far as position, a good OB/midwife can tell by palpitation (feeling your belly) what general position baby is in towards the end. There are usually other indicators if baby is breech towards the end as well.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 15th, 2013, 12:07 PM
Mommy of 3
I agree, unless there's a reason to think you're dilating they won't check you until the end. With my last 2 they asked me if I wanted to be checked at 36 weeks when they were doing the group b strep swab. Then they didn't check again until 39 weeks.

With my 2nd pregnancy I didn't know I was doing the glucose test and I had a bowl of frosted flakes and a can of Coke for breakfast! And I still passed. Hopefully you'll be fine!

Last edited by Irishgirl99; May 15th, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
May 15th, 2013, 01:01 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks ladies! I'm glad you cleared that up because I wanted to make sure I was getting the care I needed!

Oh YAY Irishgirl99! Then there IS hope for me to still pass lol
Irishgirl99 and mom2K&G like this.

May 15th, 2013, 01:58 PM
Veteran
I was only checked twice because of spotting. Other than that, they (the ob and np) wont check me again until 36 weeks or if i start bleeding or contracting. I also only got the extra ultrasounds because of the spotting (1 vag and 1 regular), and early on baby was 2 weeks behind and dr wanted to make sure it was viable (2 us 2 weeks apart to confirm).

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search