Induction?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 19th, 2013, 04:51 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts on induction?

- have you had one previously? If so, what was your experience?

-if you haven't had one before, would you be open to one?

-what type of issues would make you consider it?

------

I had one with Chase at 39w2d. I had no choice with him because my options were literally "attempt vaginal delivery via induction" or "c-section right now." (his heartrate was dropping with each contraction; turns out cord was around his neck) I opted for induction and do not regret it because it was successful, and was detrimental to the safety of the baby.

That being said, I will do everything in my power to avoid one this time. The only way I will consider induction is if its medically necessary- so I definitely won't be getting induced due to gestational age.

Pitocin was awful- from everyone I've heard that labor and contractions are so much worse with it. I've also heard about a lot of women needing c-sections in the long run because of a "failed" induction.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 19th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
never had one, never would unless I felt the baby was safer out than in and all non medical methods had failed.
Anchored likes this.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

May 19th, 2013, 05:25 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I have had both DDs via induction, and had two horrible/bad experiences, LOL. Both were definitely medically necessary but I am PRAYING that I do not end up needing one with Max and can see what labor is like without Pitocin. PRAYING.

If anyone wants details of my inductions I don't mind sharing, feel free to ask but they.were.not.fun. AT ALL!! haha
Anchored likes this.

Last edited by mamalamb; May 19th, 2013 at 05:29 PM.
May 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM
Veteran
I'm a FTM so I've never had one before but would be open to one if it was medically necessary. I hope that things progress naturally though and would much prefer a labor without the use of Pitocin. I also have heard that it makes the contractions much more painful and you are much more likely to require a c-section if you aren't progressing.
Anchored likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not a fan of inductions as I feel they often lead to higher c section rates, harder, faster labor, etc. I was given pitocen with dd to speed things along but went into labor on my own. Never had a full on induction even though my Dr offered it to me. I refused.
Anchored likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 19th, 2013, 05:31 PM
soaringphoenix's Avatar Mother Reborn
FTM - I'm hoping to go natural so I won't be induced unless medically needed.
Anchored likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 05:54 PM
DeletedUser12345's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by soaringphoenix View Post
FTM - I'm hoping to go natural so I won't be induced unless medically needed.
Same here- However, I would also be open to it if the baby is still measuring very large and I would be likely facing c-section due to the size.. but I know doctors tend to be off on size so I'd have to be absolutely sure before going that route.
Anchored likes this.
May 19th, 2013, 06:02 PM
Veteran
I haven't been induced and am hoping for another natural birth, so I'd hope to avoid an induction (unless it was clear that baby girl was safer out than in). But, while my midwife usually doesn't talk induction until you are close to 42 weeks, with my husband moving out of state for a new job the day I hit 41 weeks, I'd definitely want to talk about an induction and if I seem to be favorable to have a successful induction if I'm getting close to the day he'll have to leave. I really don't want him to miss the birth!
May 19th, 2013, 06:20 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post
I have had both DDs via induction, and had two horrible/bad experiences, LOL. Both were definitely medically necessary but I am PRAYING that I do not end up needing one with Max and can see what labor is like without Pitocin. PRAYING.

If anyone wants details of my inductions I don't mind sharing, feel free to ask but they.were.not.fun. AT ALL!! haha
I think you should share it! I may share mine too- mine wasn't AWFUL, but I labored (and delivered) very quickly so I probably avoided a lot of that extra ickyness!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyinthesky88 View Post
I'm a FTM so I've never had one before but would be open to one if it was medically necessary. I hope that things progress naturally though and would much prefer a labor without the use of Pitocin. I also have heard that it makes the contractions much more painful and you are much more likely to require a c-section if you aren't progressing.
Yep that's definitely what I heard too! Being that my only birth was induced, I thought everyone had contractions that felt that way... only to find out down the road that Pitocin causese some hardcore awful contractions! It was so bad I caved on my "no epidural" stance... only for the epi to not work and me to deliver naturally anyway (nurse never checked me and epi was literally administered 20 minutes before he was born!). And I'm REALLY not fond of a c-section due to a reason like that versus a c-section for a legit reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
I'm not a fan of inductions as I feel they often lead to higher c section rates, harder, faster labor, etc. I was given pitocen with dd to speed things along but went into labor on my own. Never had a full on induction even though my Dr offered it to me. I refused.
Good for you for refusing! I totally plan to refuse this time around, unless it's a medical issue again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissamarie247 View Post
Same here- However, I would also be open to it if the baby is still measuring very large and I would be likely facing c-section due to the size.. but I know doctors tend to be off on size so I'd have to be absolutely sure before going that route.
Definitely!! I was told Chase was going to be REALLY big! They did the ultrasound and turns out they were wrong- they had him at almost 6 lbs at 34 weeks! (They said he was measuring 2 weeks ahead) TOTALLY untrue- he was 7lb 14oz at 39w2d! I'm really glad they didn't push an early induction because of weight

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 19th, 2013, 06:28 PM
Honestlymonique's Avatar mommy of three
I hated mines with dd2. They said because I was leaking fluid which they didn't know where it was coming from n it was lite and baby was weighing under 6 pounds (she was 6 pounds even) they would induce. I really think the issue was I was due right b4 4th of July n didn't want me to actually have it on that date. Anyway it was my first induction I didn't know what was going on. They said they wouldn't give me the meds till 12 am which I thought was crazy. I tried to stay up n cause I didn't wanna miss anything n I was miserable. I had contractions (which I didn't have at all with the first) they hurt like hell then they decided that's when they wanted to give me the shot. With my dd1 they let my husband in to comfort me (scared to death of needles) with dd2 they wouldn't n then the guy got an attitude with me cause I was scared. Everything was so crazy n unorganized. I'm hoping this one will come on his own.

May 19th, 2013, 06:31 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Super Mommy
My first I was Ill informed and had an induction bc he was late after almost a day pushing he was a c section . My second I went into labor naturally and had her vbac . I won't be induced again unless it was needed for baby's health
May 19th, 2013, 07:38 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've been induced twice and I will do everything I possibly can to avoid being induced. It gets really hard to resist it towards the end so I made sure that I told my doctor at my appt. on Friday that I really really don't want to be induced but I know I will give in towards the end.. I don't like the Pitocin and having to lie in a bed strapped to and IV bag.

May 19th, 2013, 07:47 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
OK you asked for it! Haha. I'll try to keep it *somewhat* concise.

DD1- She had IUGR, my placenta was failing, fluid was low, and she flunked a NST so induction was started at 35 weeks 4 days. I went in, cervadil was placed, not a lot happened all night so they started pitocin the next morning. Labored for HOURS and HOURS, I don't even know how long, may have been a full day, with awful hard contractions but was dilating slllooowwwwlllyyy so I couldn't get an epi. Finally they said if I let them stretch my cervix from a 2-3 to a 5 with a foley ball then I could have the epidural. I was like yeah whatever, lol, so they did it and that was (up to that point, since I hadn't had dd2 yet Lol) the most horrific pain of my life. I started screaming and pretty much didn't stop until they finally put my epi in. It worked, thank goodness, so I was out of pain at least. At some point they broke my water. Hours after THAT, I started shaking uncontrollably and they said I was finally complete and so we started pushing. The pushing wasn't bad because I couldn't feel anything lol. I pushed for maybe 20 minutes and she came out, all 5 pounds of her. She scratched me on the way out and I ended up with this internal tear/hematoma that was lots of fun for a few weeks. I was stuck in the delivery room for almost an hour because my placenta was refusing to come out, they tried a bunch of stuff and then the dr finally just sort of pulled it out. I had a LOT of pp bleeding and a difficult recovery. Induction was started at 35weeks 4 days and she was delivered at 36 weeks exactly!

So I thought *that* was pretty rough and that dd2 would be easier, right? Ha.

DD2 was much healthier than dd1 in utero, no IUGR and placenta was doing ok, but my fluid was low and then she flunked a NST so off to induction we went at 39 weeks exactly. I was dilated to a 2 going in so they decided to just start with pitocin, no cervadil. Started it in the morning, nothing happened all day. I was having super mild contractions here and there but seriously, like, nothing was happening. They kept turning up the pit higher and higher. Finally, sometime in the afternoon they did start to pick up a *little*, I was having to concentrate on them when they came but still it wasn't that bad. I told them though, that I knew I wanted an epidural and so why don't we just do it because I was sort of over it lol. I had been about a 3-4cm at last check.So the guy comes in and starts setting up and they tell me to get up and go pee really fast before he puts it in. I drag the IV pole over to the toilet and sit down...and then....ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE IN MY UTERUS. All of the sudden I am in the worst pain OF MY LIFE, contractions are all on top of each other and HARD, I start bleeding, water breaks, omg. All I could do was sit there and scream lol. So dh and everyone is like omg, and they sort of drag me back to the bed and the nurse yells "Oh no you are complete, baby is coming NOW! You aren't getting your epi!" And everything is total chaos and they are ripping the bed apart and everyone is running in and all I can do is scream and watch the anasthesiologist pack all his stuff up and leave. It. Was. BAD. So they have me start pushing and I am screaming my head off the whole time and pretty hysterical and it was lots of fun for everyone. I pushed and pushed and screamed and and shook for about an hour but she was sunny side up and stuck on my pelvic bone so she wasn't coming out. They wpuldn't even give me any pain meds via IV because she was having some decels. FINALLY after three failed vacuum attempts one was succesfull and she was born. 7 pounds 11 ounces. I tore, but I didn't care at that point. I *will* say my recovery wasn't as bad, I didn't bleed as much.

And so, THAT is why, I am praying and praying that SOMEHOW Max allows me to do this on my own without pitocin. I'm over it. LOL!

Last edited by mamalamb; May 19th, 2013 at 07:55 PM.
May 19th, 2013, 08:03 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with my first the day after my EDD, it was quick, and with #3 because I wasn't progressing as quickly as they wanted me to, they gave me pitocin. I would not choose to be induced and I would much rather NOT to have to be induced and the only way I would if baby or myself is in distress. I prefer a med free labor and delivery.

May 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I was induced with DD. I was 38 weeks and had developed SPD and Pre-E. I was so swollen I couldn't walk without crying. They started me on cervadil. When that only got me to 2-3 cm, I was at 0 before, they started me then on pitocin. This all started at 11pm on May 25. Around 11 am they came in and checked and I was at 4. Dr came in and broke my water to see if that would help. At 7pm I was at 6. (Did I mention I was not taking anything for pain but tylenol?) Change of nurses, and the new nurse had me move onto all fours and started massaging my back. At 945 I told her I needed to poop. Then in the middle of turning me said, no, I need to puke. And before she could grab a pan, I puked everywhere. She checked me then, I was at 10. (Right at 10 pm!) Told me to hold on while she called the dr. 29 minutes later my doctor got there. Asked me how I felt, told her it burned and I needed to push. She said go ahead. I just got my legs up and pushed, and she was out.

I'm all for inductions when necessary. When it's for the safety of mom or baby, then by all means induce. However if it's not medically needed and mom is just uncomfortable and wants the baby out, it's taking advantage of the medical field and kinda selfish in my opinion.
May 19th, 2013, 09:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Chase came on his own at 37 weeks. My labor with him from my hospital admission at 5cm was 27 hours, painful and slow.

Cole was *kind of* induced at 37 weeks. I had been in the hospital for preterm labor since 28 weeks and was dilated to a 4 and having contractions for two days and leaking fluid. So my peri did a lung amnio to check for maturity and Cole's lungs were good so he started me on pitocin to speed things along. So idk if that counts, and idk how long to say my labor was because I was dilated and contracting for so long, but it was still pretty long. My recovery was actually better though, but that may just be because I was so happy to be out of the hospital and have Cole safely in my arms.

I'm fine with inductions when medically necessary, but that's it. My peri is very cautious about them.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 19th, 2013, 09:41 PM
BabyT_heart_beat's Avatar Baby girl Londyn 8/13
I believe there is absolutely nothing wrong with inductions when medically necessary. With that being said you can't assess the physical well being of another woman and judge her for a voluntary induction because "she's tired of being pregnant"

I for one will not be getting induced unless medically necessary. I want to try it natural and heard that Pitocin contrax are horrible. I do think that early inductions increase C-section rate only because its forcing your body to do something it's not ready to do yet. Of course that's not the case all the time. Its definitely a personal and medical choice that shouldn't be taken lightly.
lucyinthesky88 likes this.

****Thank you*Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy****

May 20th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Mommy of 3
I haven't been induced before and hopefully won't have to be this time either.

I'm all for induction if it's medically necessary like for pre eclampsia or the baby is in distress or something but not just because you've reached your due date. The Dr I've switched to is big into induction if you go past 40 weeks, or even before if request it which I won't be agreeing to unless he has a proper medical reason. So I'm hoping this baby just comes early by itself like the other two did so it won't even be an issue.

May 20th, 2013, 06:29 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
What are your thoughts on induction?
Much like c-sections, they are sometimes necessary and life saving, however, are often abused and overused.

have you had one previously? If so, what was your experience?
I was induced with my oldest due to pre-eclampsia. It went well enough, but there's really just nothing good (for me) about being in a hospital.

what type of issues would make you consider it?
It's a last resort, so hard to say. Because my midwives now don't use a hospital but would have to for induction, and THEIR main objective is out of hospital births, I would trust my midwives if they said I needed to be induced. However, I wouldn't have trusted any of my previous doctors or "hospital midwives" on the issue. I'm not entirely sure my first induction was necessary because my pre-e really was not severe at all and they didn't take ANY measures to reverse the mild effects it was having on me, which might have made more sense than induction.
May 20th, 2013, 06:53 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
I was given pitocin at 41 weeks 1 day with our oldest son. My water was leaking early that morning, and the OB and hospital policy was that I needed to immediately check into the hospital. I tried talking the OB (not my OB, as mine was on vacation) into letting me check in later that evening after walking around a few hours at a park or something, but was refused. I was a first time mother, so I didn't know just what my rights were.

Anyway, I checked into the hospital around noon and finally agreed to taking pitocin at 6 pm, exactly 12 hours after my water started leaking, even though the leaking had stopped by 9 a.m. The first 3 hours I felt nothing. Then, right at 9 pm, the contractions started and they packed a punch immediately. I didn't have any real warning. It went from nothing to INTENSE instantly. I was 2 cm dilated when I checked in, and reached 10 cm around 6 a.m. After three hours of pushing, he was born at 9:22 a.m.

Unless it's absolutely medically necessary, I will definitely not be agreeing to another induction. It was horrendous and I'm so grateful for my wonderful team of midwives who wouldn't even consider induction unless truly needed.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search