Log In Sign Up

GD....how are you doing?


Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By lexiandolive

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
  #1  
May 24th, 2013, 04:01 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,464
So, today is my third day on the GD "diet"... I've noticed the first day that it seems like I am taking in a lot more carbs than I usually do. I almost felt sick because I felt like I was eating too much. I think it definitely "evens" things out for me in that I probably tend to eat too many carbs at one setting verses spreading them out through the day.

My readings have been real good. Usually 84/85 in the a.m. and between 110-119 after meals. One time I went a little above, but I realized that I was testing about 3o min. early. I am thankful I only have to test twice a day. Pricking my finger 4 times a day would get annoying.

I am not completely cutting out sugar. In my booklet, one cup of plain ice cream is about the equivalent of a snack, 30g... so- I take advantage of that :-)

I have been feeling a little sick the past two days though. A lot less energy- but, I do have a slight sore throat and a little nausea, so I'm thinking it's that or just being at 27 weeks.....

How are you ladies doing who are on the diet?????
__________________
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3



Reply With Quote
  #2  
May 24th, 2013, 05:45 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,464
bump.............isn't there anyone else with gestational diabetes???? I'd really like to know how your doing. Are you sticking to the diet? Have you gained/lost weight? How do you feel?? How are your numbers?
__________________
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3



Reply With Quote
  #3  
May 24th, 2013, 08:29 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 498
I was just diagnosed today .... What is a sample of what you are eating for meals ? I have to wait and hear from dietician to make an appointment....
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #4  
May 24th, 2013, 11:53 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by IvyMommy View Post
I was just diagnosed today .... What is a sample of what you are eating for meals ? I have to wait and hear from dietician to make an appointment....
not much different then before... just making sure I don't eat too many carbs. You should get a sample sheet from the dietician. Thanks for responding.
__________________
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3



Reply With Quote
  #5  
May 25th, 2013, 06:45 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 931
I was just diagnosed on Thursday and haven't been booked to meet with the dietitian yet.
Only thing I know that's going to be hard for me is to poke my finger as I'm really bad with needles. I'm glad you aren't finding the diet something hard to stick to, I've been dreading this and hoping this wouldn't be like being on a traditional diet but being pregnant. I generally eat really healthy but I have a little indulgence a couple times a week
__________________
~Jen






Reply With Quote
  #6  
May 25th, 2013, 10:22 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,464
Quote:
Originally Posted by miniRazz View Post
I was just diagnosed on Thursday and haven't been booked to meet with the dietitian yet.
Only thing I know that's going to be hard for me is to poke my finger as I'm really bad with needles. I'm glad you aren't finding the diet something hard to stick to, I've been dreading this and hoping this wouldn't be like being on a traditional diet but being pregnant. I generally eat really healthy but I have a little indulgence a couple times a week
with dd#3, I failed the one hour and they wanted me to do the 3 hr. I put it off for so long, It was about 1 month before delivery I finally got on the "diet". I don't like diets and did NOT want to be put on one while pregnant, but I found that it made me feel a lot better and I lost 7 lbs.

I was hoping to NOT have GD this time, but figured I did when I started the rapid weight gain and I was very happy to see the dietician to get the info I needed. It's actually refreshing because I have permission to eat the carbs at certain times. Before, I would feel guility about eating any carbs/white bread, etc.. but with the diet, I know how much to eat, and then you just have to wait another two hours to have more carbs. You can have all the veggies and protein you want in between though. I will still eat sugar, candy, ice cream, etc.. but I have to use up my carbs to do it.

The worst for me is the morning. I don't really like protein in the am. So, having to eat eggs or peanut butter is not my favorite.

Sticking your finger isn't that bad, it's annoying a little and I'm glad I only have to do it twice a day.
__________________
Children are a heritage from the Lord,
offspring a reward from him. Psalm 127:3



Reply With Quote
  #7  
May 25th, 2013, 11:26 AM
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Sorry, I go for my test on Wed and fully expect it to be positive. I actually never felt different the last pregnancy with GD. I could certainly tell if I went way over the limit with carbs though. I did prick my finger 4x per day but didn't need insulin. Unfortunatley I found once I was diagnosed I ended up gaining weight because I had to eat so many times per day. Breakfast, morning snack, lunch, afternoon snack, dinner, evening snack 1 and evening snack 2. My snacks etc were all portion controlled. (I found cereal and milk the easiest snack). I also had a homemade egg mcmuffin for breakfast to get my protein in.

I'm sure we'll be chatting more about GD in the coming weeks as we all meet with the dietician and share secrets.

this time I am going to try to get smoothies in as a snack because it will be hot and miserable and I will like a nice cool snack.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
May 26th, 2013, 08:55 AM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 498
How far along we're you when you went into labor with your first with db? How much did baby weigh ? I was really hoping to go my usual 41 weeks natural no inductions ..
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #9  
May 26th, 2013, 12:26 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
I was about 41 weeks and got induced because I was sick of being pregnant. I had an 8 pounder in there. Not once was it mentioned that I should be induced because of GB. I am going to avoid being induced at all costs this time. the doctor actually said I could go another week if I wanted to.
IvyMommy likes this.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
May 26th, 2013, 01:10 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 498
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexiandolive View Post
I was about 41 weeks and got induced because I was sick of being pregnant. I had an 8 pounder in there. Not once was it mentioned that I should be induced because of GB. I am going to avoid being induced at all costs this time. the doctor actually said I could go another week if I wanted to.
Thank you ! You give me hope ! It his is my first gd pregnancy but my first born I was induced and ended up emergency c section with my second they said bc I was late they were going to make me do a c section in a few days ( we were supposed to do a vbac) and I went into labor that night on my own and had her natural . I don't want to be induced I want another natural birth . I just worry he will be huge bc of gd
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #11  
May 26th, 2013, 06:23 PM
Veteran
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 211
Well, son of a gun, your first birth sounds like my kid's birth. induction and emergency C section. I really want to go natural for this second one, so hopefully I can do it.

the last time I kept my diet in check and very rarely had numbers over normal, so i think that contributed to a normal size? However, I heard stories from my tiny, tiny coworker who couldn't even put her arms around her belly at the end of each of her pregnancies and delivered an 11 pounder and 10 pounder naturally. She didn't have GD. I mean, I guess our bodies are designed to do what is needed.

I'd also asked my OB the last pregnancy about the damage I may have done when I was ahem, not eating the best before I was diagnosed with GD. She said the weight gain issue is minimal because you measure in grams and so 10 grams doubled is only 20 grams and it is not like you are doubling 2 pounds near the end of pregnancy. but the stories you hear and the stuff on the internet is quite scary. I still am nervous that I the baby will be to big for the birth canal and all of that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
May 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
IvyMommy's Avatar Veteran
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 498
I am not a fan of inductions . I hope you can have a vbac ! It was so much better ! I actually live in an anti vbac state and they scare the moms around here that its very dangerous ... But since I already had a vbac in another state that is vbac friendly my dr is on board ....I'm really hoping this little guy isn't too big....crazy two pregnancies no gd and now 8 years later gd with my third
__________________
Make a pregnancy ticker
Reply With Quote
  #13  
May 27th, 2013, 07:40 AM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: BC, Canada
Posts: 931
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirdeemrlvs View Post
with dd#3, I failed the one hour and they wanted me to do the 3 hr. I put it off for so long, It was about 1 month before delivery I finally got on the "diet". I don't like diets and did NOT want to be put on one while pregnant, but I found that it made me feel a lot better and I lost 7 lbs.

I was hoping to NOT have GD this time, but figured I did when I started the rapid weight gain and I was very happy to see the dietician to get the info I needed. It's actually refreshing because I have permission to eat the carbs at certain times. Before, I would feel guility about eating any carbs/white bread, etc.. but with the diet, I know how much to eat, and then you just have to wait another two hours to have more carbs. You can have all the veggies and protein you want in between though. I will still eat sugar, candy, ice cream, etc.. but I have to use up my carbs to do it.

The worst for me is the morning. I don't really like protein in the am. So, having to eat eggs or peanut butter is not my favorite.

Sticking your finger isn't that bad, it's annoying a little and I'm glad I only have to do it twice a day.
Oh great, you're making me feel a lot better about this The way you explain it, it doesn't sound that bad. Thanks!!!
__________________
~Jen






Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diet , gestational diabetes

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:59 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0