Swelling :( *pictures added to OP*

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
May 25th, 2013, 07:08 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm trying to gauge how normal this is...so if anyone else is having the same thing, please let me know.

My feet and legs are visibly swollen and my feet hurt SO bad. It's been this way for a week but progressively getting worse. This morning I could barely walk because it hurt my feet so bad to stand on them (but I know once I get moving around it will feel a little better).

The swelling is to the point of mild pitting edema (on the 1-4 scale, it's a 1); in other words, if I press down on any art of my foot, ankle, or lower legs, it leaves a dent that takes a little while to go away.

Here is what my pitting edema looks like...

Swelling:

Pitting Edema on foot:

Pitting Edema on Ankle (immediate):

After 1 Minute:

After 2 minutes:

After 5 minutes (almost gone):

So, does anyone else have swelling like this?? Is this just "normal pregnancy swelling"? I've never had swelling in any of my pregnancies before, but I know that it's not uncommon to have some swelling. I'm just not sure how much is considered normal.

Last edited by alittlelost; May 25th, 2013 at 01:00 PM.
May 25th, 2013, 07:11 AM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had swelling with my last pregnancy but not pitting or at least not severe. I think it's definitely worth mentioning to your midwife. I'm sorry you're in pain, when my feet swell, they hurt tremendously.

May 25th, 2013, 08:26 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had swelling like that. When I do get it my hands and feet just feel tighter and hot.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
May 25th, 2013, 08:30 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I haven't had swelling like that (yet), my friend did when she was pregnant but not until the end. I think I would put a call in just to be safe. Sorry you are uncomfortable!

May 25th, 2013, 09:00 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I also have some swelling in my lower legs, ankles and feet and have never had it before. Mine does the same pitting thing. It is a bit uncomfortable, but not as painful as yours sounds. I have an appt Wed and will be mentioning it then. Doesn't hurt to bring it up. Maybe also go to cvs or Walgreens and get a bp read to make sure your bp isn't really high.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
May 25th, 2013, 09:21 AM
Mommy of 3
I've never had any swelling. Hope it gets better for you!

May 25th, 2013, 10:15 AM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That doesn't sound very good. I would definitely bring it up with your dr. I've had swelling in pregnancy, but usually not until the very end. I think I read taking a bath with Epsom salts helps... maybe you could try googling that.
yvee80 likes this.

May 25th, 2013, 10:36 AM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I'm so glad I haven't dealt with any swelling yet. That sounds so painful

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

May 25th, 2013, 11:18 AM
I took a bath with epsom salts yesterday, actually, hoping it would help. But it didn't Keeping my feet elevated helps but obviously I can't keep them elevated all the time. I was going to Walgreens today anyway so I'll take my BP. I've had protein in my urine a lot this pregnancy but my BP has always been fine, otherwise I'd be thinking I have Pre-E again. I've also been having really weird weight gain. Like, I'm eating healthy and exercising, and I went 3 weeks only gaining 1 lb. (Which is great from my 9 lbs I gained last month) but then . . . I gained 4 lbs in a week! I just don't understand where all this weight gain is coming from so suddenly unless it's water retention.
May 25th, 2013, 11:56 AM
Veteran
I think you could easily put on extra pounds through fluid retention. I always swell when it gets warm during my third trimester. I think if the indentation doesn't go away immediately, it's more than a 1. I usually swell to a 2 or 3 (indentations take many seconds to go away). None of my providers have found the swelling in and of itself concerning and since I've never had any BP issues, I've just had to deal as best I can (drinking lots, elevating as much as possible, not getting too much or too little sodium). and then just look forward to seeing my ankles again post pregnancy. I've never had it be as painful as you've described. I think it would be worth giving your MW a call.
May 25th, 2013, 12:12 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm having swelling like that. If I weren't on my phone I'd upload a picture. Actually- check your Facebook in a few min and I'll send it direct to you.

I talked to my Ob on Tuesday and she said I have great BP, no protein in my urine, and haven't gained too much weight and therefore they're not concerned. She said to drink A LOT more water, elevate my feet above heart level when I can, and try to rest my feet when I feel they're starting to swell.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

May 25th, 2013, 12:28 PM
I went to Wallgreens and there was no BP machine there >8( I was only going because we needed other things, so I didn't go anywhere else. I wouldn't concerned at all if it weren't for the other things going on, but my BP has seemed fine. The weight gain is really aggravating, though, and the swelling is painful I missed my midwife appointment the other day (I thought it was at 3 or 3:30, apparently it was at 2) so I have a new appointment on Tuesday at 1. I'll talk to her about it then.
May 25th, 2013, 01:34 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't have any swelling with Nate. This time my feet have gotten a little swollen but not like that. I would call your doctor.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

May 25th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Veteran
the swelling i got with my son was soooooo bad the tops of my feet would literally jiggle when i walked and if i pressed down i had craters or pitting that took forever to go away. the doctor thought maybe i had pre eclampsia but everything checked out fine and i am seeing just as much swelling with this pregnancy also...
May 25th, 2013, 02:08 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's a lot of swelling. I know it's a holiday weekend so offices are closed, but if it were me, I think I would find a store that did have a machine and go double check my bp, just to be safe .

May 25th, 2013, 03:34 PM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
Any headaches or vision issues? Swelling in hands or face?

My feet swelled a lot when I was in Phoenix last week. The only think that helped was lots of water and sleeping w feet elevated on two pillows. I lost 4 lbs in one day once i got home, so the water could be making you gain.

Please go check your bp...I'm sending you no swelling thoughts!
May 25th, 2013, 03:48 PM
Mommy of 3
Ouch that looks painful!!
Hope you get to check your bp somewhere. Hopefully everything is o.k

May 25th, 2013, 03:49 PM
No headaches, no vision problems, and no swelling outside of my legs (most of the time) sometimes my hands swell and hurt bad in the morning, but not every morning.

I don't drive, so I'll try to get DH to take me to try to find a BP machine again. I will try drinking more water, too, and see if I can sleep with my feet elevated.
May 25th, 2013, 04:48 PM
Went to a different Wallgreens, they ALSO didn't have a BP machine. WTH? I swear they used to have one. So, I have to see if I can find a CVS or something in my area. Anyone know any other places that have them?
May 25th, 2013, 05:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Wal-Mart has a bp machine.I empathise with you on the pitting edema. Mine now is at the point on legs and feet that it leaves burst capillaries. its off the scale, as it was with Maddie. Don't wear low tight socks, wear support knee highs, use Epsom salts in a whirlpool footbath and stay off your feet as much as possible.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search