Braxton hicks vs real contractions

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Momma2Chase

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 8th, 2013, 06:57 PM
Super Mommy
This is probably a silly question since I'm a btdt mom, but how can you tell? With dd I didn't feel any contractions until I was all but 7cm, then with my losses I thought they were cramps b/c that's what they told me to expect- until my waters broke: surprise! Anyways I know I've been doing too much with our move and unpacking so when I started having cramps Thursday I sorta ignored it till they were pretty bad and every 4 min for almost and hour and 15 min- if it had gone on any longer I was going to call l&d to be checked but now yesterday and today I've been having them again. Not so regular but even when I'm laying or sitting down... Should I call and just get checked out? I don't have my first appointment with mynew dr until the 20thand right now we have some family visiting so we have a sitter for the kids so hubby can make the 25 mile trip to the hospital with me... Or should I call them first and see what they say?

June 8th, 2013, 07:50 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would probably call and tell them and see what they think. I hope they stop for you!!

June 8th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I'd call and ask what they think, unless you have that absolute gut feeling you should be checked!

My doctor's office's rule of thumb is anything more than 6 BHs an hour and they want to know about it. I'm not positive what they do at that point- maybe send you to L&D for monitoring?
Bookreader likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

June 8th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Veteran
I think my MW also said to let them know if I had more than 6 BH/hour for a couple hours.

As far as how to tell the difference, for me, BH contractions feel more like all over tightness and while they may be uncomfortable they aren't very painful. True labor feels distinctly different - like very bad period cramps that are very low.
June 8th, 2013, 08:27 PM
Super Mommy
Thanks! I called and they said lay down, drink lots and try to time them... Of course not I haven't had any in the last 20 min lol. She did say that I probably shouldn't wait the 2 weeks to see dr, so I'll call Monday to try to up the appointment.
These feel like tight cramps, some def more painful and have to catch my breath, and I have them a lot more if I'm standing or walking around

June 8th, 2013, 08:49 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My two things that have always worked and what they usually tell you is

1. Drink 16 oz of water and lay down on your left side. If they aren't real contractions, they should stop or slow down.

2. Take a warm bath. I did this with dd#2 when I was in actual labor, and boy did they speed up! If it wouldn't have been real labor, they would of stopped or slowed down.

I get contrax. a lot if I'm overly hungry, dehydrated or just overdoing it.

June 9th, 2013, 07:12 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm the same. My doc just told me, 6 or more in an hour to go in. My thing is, like you, my first I was induced and didn't feel them until 5ish cms. I felt the tightening before that, but it was
Nt painful, and I'm sure the only reason I actually felt them was because I was laying there expecting to feel them. I get painful Braxton hicks everyday, some days only 1 or 2 that day. Other days its 1 or 2 every hour all day. Sorry I'm no help.

June 9th, 2013, 07:46 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My contractions feel like menstrual cramps. They usually start in my back as a back ache, then radiate up and wrap around creating this cramping band. I also usually feel like my belly is really heavy and feel the cramps in my upper legs/pelvis. My hospital's rule of thumb is that if you start having them, drink at least 32 ounces of water, lay down and wait another hour. If they do not decrease then you need to call and be seen.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

June 9th, 2013, 08:15 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I only ever felt contractions in transition.... (after 7 cm) but some women feel them sooner. I hear real contractions hurt and braxton hicks are painless tightening.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search