Waking up on back??

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By MommyPenguin4
  • 1 Post By Dandelion

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
I love you ladies and your opinions so much!

But I often find myself waking up on my back. And not because I wake up faint or in pain or anything. I just naturally wake up despite having fallen asleep on my side. I know you're not suppose to lay on your back so I was wondering how truly damaging is this? I personally don't feel anything happening to my body but am I at risk for killing the baby or giving her brain damage?
June 17th, 2013, 11:09 AM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I asked my doctor about this and she said it's not really going to hurt either of us. I often wake up on my back too. I have found keeping a pillow between my legs helps me from rolling over on to my back. I think if you only layed on your back when sleeping then it could have effects.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

June 17th, 2013, 11:11 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wake up on my back off and on during the night too, I just turn myself back over

June 17th, 2013, 11:40 AM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wake up that way sometimes too, I think your body would naturally turn itself in your sleep if you were doing damage

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

June 17th, 2013, 11:50 AM
Super Mommy
Same here, I wake up on my back sometimes and just roll back over on my side. In the early mornings my hips and lower back hurt so bad that I can ONLY sleep on my back! It's only for a few hours until I wake up but I never feel like it's doing any harm.
yvee80 and mommy_to_nico like this.

June 17th, 2013, 01:17 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
It will be okay, I really wouldn't worry about it.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
June 17th, 2013, 01:51 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Some times in the middle of the night I switch to laying on my back because constant side sleeping hurts my legs/ hips. Even with a pillow between my knees.
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
June 17th, 2013, 03:25 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Your body would probably give cues if it was bad for you. I think for me personally, when I end up on my back I do know it is bad because while rolling over, my back is a kind of pitt stop and if I stay there too long, I cant breathe and I start feeling really dizzy and faint. At the appointment before last, they didnt find the heartbeat on the doppler for a while and I was on my back too long and I had to sit up and catch my breath. My heart was racing and my face turned red.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
June 17th, 2013, 04:39 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I do sometimes. I just reposition and fall back asleep Not a big deal. Your body will wake you up if there is something wrong.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

June 18th, 2013, 01:27 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Thanks, girls! I never personally (my body) felt any frightful symptoms but I just didnt know how detrimental waking up on your back was! I sometimes do out a pillow behind my back but it doesn't always help. Then the other night I sort of purposefully fell asleep on my back for several hours because it actually felt soo good. Sleeping my side night after night is hurtful to my body, TBH. :-/
June 18th, 2013, 06:53 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
The left side is IDEAL for oxygen flow to baby, but I wouldn't freak out about ending up on your back. It happens and it's not going to hurt anything.
June 18th, 2013, 08:55 AM
84oilymom's Avatar Veteran
Yea i actually can only find comfort on my back somenights along with a few pillows cause of my reflyx. Dr says the big deal with side sleeping espevially left is oxygen flow to baby.

June 18th, 2013, 10:26 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Ya, that's what I knew about from reading online was about the oxygen flow. So, that why I thought if you laid on your back you were severely cutting off the oxygen to the baby and in turn causing health problems and/or brain damage.
June 22nd, 2013, 08:11 PM
Kayla_7602's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think like most of the ladies said, you would want to move, or move in your sleep on your own if was becoming harmful. I wouldn't worry about it

Thanks Jaidynsmum for the awsome siggy!

June 22nd, 2013, 09:33 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
That's good to know! I'm really getting tired of sleeping on my side.
June 24th, 2013, 06:51 AM
Veteran
I've been a back sleeper for MANY years and despite trying everything in my power to sleep on my side, I often end up on my back. Lately when I wake up for the 30th time at night from hip pain from sleeping on my sides, I consciously make the choice to sleep on my back for a bit.

My OB told me to NOT sleep on my back in any way, but I am being bad and ignoring her advice to keep my sanity. Everything I've read said that your body will tell you if you have decreased oxygen by feeling faint, short of breath, etc. I never feel any of those things. I figure my body knows itself best, and there have been COUNTLESS studies about what's good or bad that have been discounted in later years (anyone read that new study that light to moderate alcohol drinking seems to be A-okay now??)
June 24th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Veteran
I also need the relief of sleeping on the back occasinally. It is interesting, because sometimes, it is no problem and other times, I know right away that am uncomfortable and being on my back is a no go.

If back sleeping was really bad, I'm sure there'd be awareness campaigns like SIDS and stuff.
June 24th, 2013, 09:46 AM
teeny0518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wake up like that a lot too! Most of the time I am fine, but I have had a few mornings of dizziness. I have found that if I put a small pillow on either side of me, if I roll onto it in the middle of the night, I just land on it so Im not all the way flat. That way, I dont wake up! It def helps the sleep and my peace of mind. Good luck!

June 24th, 2013, 10:33 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Ya it's weird.. Usually when I wake up on my back on my bed I feel fine.. And one night when I consciously chose to sleep like that I also felt fine.. But the other day at my ultrasound when I was on my back I felt horrible! Not dizzy so much but just like there was a huge boulder in/on my stomach.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search