Opinions Please!! (regarding failed 3hr glucose test and testing blood sugars)

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By ElliotsMommy13
  • 1 Post By KeLLiC09
  • 1 Post By KeLLiC09
  • 1 Post By KeLLiC09

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 23rd, 2013, 01:42 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So you all know I've had to check my sugar levels lately. I've been keeping track of everything I eat, drink, etc. and 2 hours after Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner I test my blood glucose levels. Some have been normal and some have been low. Today, I had breakfast (cereal with milk, coffee, creamer and sugar). My level was 96, normal (needs to be between 90-120). I had lunch (Birds Eye Voila Cheddar Chicken Potato stir fry kind of thing, a hot dog with no bun, and a Skinny cow ice cream bar). My level was 77. I had the same amount of carbs at lunch as I did for breakfast.

Now, yesterday, for dinner I had a cheeseburger on a bun with ketchup (25g/carbs there, with he bun and ketchup), a hot dog with no bun (0g) and some potato salad and macaroni salad w/shrimp. I had another cheeseburger and some more macaroni salad w/shrimp right after the first helping (swimming all day made me hungry lol) and I had 2 decent sized bites of red velvet cake after and my number was 106. My Mom seems to think (and so does hubby) that LabCorp called in the wrong results to my doctors office. I see my doctor on Friday and the dietitian on July 1st.

Here is my question... if you had noticed your numbers were low but you're still in the range of carbs you were given, would you ask to have the 3 hour glucose test done again? Something just doesn't seem right to me.
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

June 23rd, 2013, 01:57 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Oops! See reply on Facebook lol
KeLLiC09 likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

June 23rd, 2013, 02:30 PM
I forget I have some of you on my facebook page lol

June 23rd, 2013, 02:50 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Lol that's ok! I don't usually reply to things on there because I'm worried someone will be like "Uhhh who is this?" Hehe
KeLLiC09 likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

June 23rd, 2013, 02:57 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would say definitely call and ask. I am not certain as I havent been in that situation but Ive always heard that high sugars are bad but too low can be dangerous.. so, Id call and see what you should do.
KeLLiC09 likes this.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
June 23rd, 2013, 03:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma2Chase View Post
Lol that's ok! I don't usually reply to things on there because I'm worried someone will be like "Uhhh who is this?" Hehe
I knew it was you lol
Anchored likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
I'm having a dinner night tonight where I eat my usual foods and see what my numbers would be. If they are still normal range then I'm calling my doctor.

When I went to LabCorp, 3 women were in there having their 3 hour tests done at the same time. My hubby works for a medical software company and he receives coding from these kind of companies and runs it for results. He says he sees it all the time that they send in the wrong patient results and he seems to think this may have happened to me.
ElliotsMommy13 likes this.

June 23rd, 2013, 04:38 PM
mirdeemrlvs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kelli, are you having snacks in between your meals? If you went a long time in between breakfast and lunch without eating, that might be why your numbers were so low. My plan says 15g for brkfst and 45 for lunch, 15/30 for snacks. My numbers have been really good too and I have been eating basically what I want within reason. Also, the swimming all day probably has an effect. You need more carbs when you are very active. Since we walked a lot camping this weekend, I had a few treats like smore's and a soda. I just tried to spread it out and not take in too many carbs/sugar at once.

I dont' know why they have you on such strict monitoring. My dr. only has me check it once first thing in the morning and to choose one other time during the day. I would talk to her/him about your numbers and he/she will probably make adjustments.

June 23rd, 2013, 05:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mirdeemrlvs View Post
Kelli, are you having snacks in between your meals? If you went a long time in between breakfast and lunch without eating, that might be why your numbers were so low. My plan says 15g for brkfst and 45 for lunch, 15/30 for snacks. My numbers have been really good too and I have been eating basically what I want within reason. Also, the swimming all day probably has an effect. You need more carbs when you are very active. Since we walked a lot camping this weekend, I had a few treats like smore's and a soda. I just tried to spread it out and not take in too many carbs/sugar at once.

I dont' know why they have you on such strict monitoring. My dr. only has me check it once first thing in the morning and to choose one other time during the day. I would talk to her/him about your numbers and he/she will probably make adjustments.
I am having a snack between. I sometimes skip the snack between lunch and dinner so I can have it after dinner. This is my routine everyday:

Wake up, test.
Have breakfast (between 7:30 & 9:30am, depending on if I work or not = 45g/carbs. Test 2 hours later.
Have a snack (between 9:30 & 11:30am), depending on if I work or not = 15g/carbs.
Have lunch (between 12:00 & 1:30pm) depending on if I work or not = 45g/carbs. Test 2 hours later.
Have a snack (between 3:00 & 4:30pm) depending on if I work or not = 15g/carbs
Have dinner (between 6:30 & 7:30pm) = 45g/carbs. Test 2 hours later.
Have a snack if I didn't have the snack between lunch and dinner.

June 23rd, 2013, 07:30 PM
So I tested after having a normal dinner: Chicken with honey mustard bbq sauce, macaroni salad, potato salad and broccoli with cheese and I had a 20oz bottle of sprite and my number was 78. The Sprite alone was 64g of carbs/sugars. 78 is low. I need to be between a 90-120. I'm calling the doctor in the morning and requesting a A1C test.
Anchored likes this.

June 24th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Husher's Avatar B & E complete me.
The doctor I saw told me to test my sugar 1 hour after every single meal, plus after waking in the morning, so I have to do it 4 times a day. It sucks! I hope it was just wrong for you and you can stop doing it now. Keep us posted!

Huge thanks to Jaidynsmum for the beautiful sig!

June 24th, 2013, 09:42 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Doesn't hurt to call, especially with #'s like that.

I've had GD with all three pregnancies (strict diet and pricks w/ #1, all that plus insulin #2, and everything this pregnancy too) and my numbers are never that low. My morning fasting levels are almost always between 95-100, and without insulin I've been getting close to 200. This is with a strict GD diet. I know everyone's body is different, but yeah, I'd definitely call

Edited to ask: have you significantly changed your diet since being diagnosed? Because many people successfully keep their sugars low with diet alone- like I did with my first pregnancy. This would be my guess if you do indeed have GD- that even though you are occasionally "cheating" it is still much better than before? Keep us posted!!

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!

Last edited by Beachbabies; June 24th, 2013 at 09:46 AM.
June 24th, 2013, 01:48 PM
So I called the doctors office and they said I needed to call the dietitian because my meter was broken or my test strips were bad. I have to test my strips for every new pack and they tested fine. The dietitian said I need to up my carb intake so I had more for lunch and tested a 121, 1 over the highest I'm to be. All I can say is I can't wait for August 12th because I'm just done with this all. My doctor won't send me for another test. She said that because I failed the 1 hour test that I would fail the 3 hour test. Don't get me wrong, I love my doctor, but when I failed my 1 hour with Nate, I passed the 3 hour. The dietitian told me to eat like I normally would but avoid the sugary drinks and foods, i.e., junk foods. Then do I really need to be on this diet if that's what she's telling me now? Because I was never much of a junk food eater. I'd have an ice cream here and there. Nothing bad.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search