Are you suppose to find a ped. and set-up new patient before birth?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 5th, 2013, 06:19 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Have you all already set-up your babies as new patients with pediatricians? How soon before birth are you suppose to call one?
July 5th, 2013, 06:38 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My current kids ped will see this new little one.

When my first was born, we saw a ped at the hospital and then just followed up with her afterwards.

With this one, we'll call my regular ped day I come home from the hospital and make his first appt.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 5th, 2013, 06:41 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Its a good idea to research as some offices will not accept new patients. In saying that, you can't do anything about registering your baby with a clinic until the baby is born. You always have to follow up within a few days of the baby leaving the hospital, so just have one lined up to call when your baby is born.

July 5th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'd recommend interviewing pediatricians, it'll be nice for you to know who you're seeing beforehand.

When I worked for a peds office, you couldn't book any appointments until the baby was born though. If breastfed, you would come in around 2 days old to meet with the lacatation consultant (and the ped would pop in to check on baby too); otherwise you make an appt for a 2 week well baby visit.

Georgia will see the same pediatrician my kids go to so she's already expecting a new patient next month (and her group does rounds at the hospital I'm delivering in so there's even a chance she'll see her immediately after birth)

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 5th, 2013, 06:53 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are in the process of switching pedi's bc I can't stand the current one. So we have ds 4 year check up scheduled with a new one. If we like him we will use him for the baby. We have a certain amount that are always accepting patients and after baby is born we just tell the hospital which dr we are going with. We don't have to pre-register with a pedi or anything.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
July 5th, 2013, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Finley will go to the same pedi as the boys. We really like our pedi and are really lucky because they don't take new patients right now except for siblings

They also make rounds at the hospital I'm delivering at and then after that I call the office and they'll get her in in 2-3 days.

I would definitely do some looking around or asking around to find a good pedi and then see if they are accepting new patients. Good luck- let us know how it goes

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
July 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM
Veteran
I've never made an appointment until after the baby is born (usually 1-2 days after you get home from the hospital), but it's good to know who you are going to see already. I've always gone off recommendations from friends and called the office to ask some questions and make sure they are taking new patients. When you go to the hospital, they'll ask you who your Ped is; if they round at your hospital, they'll see them while you are there. Otherwise, your baby will be seen by the staff pediatrician.

Our current pediatrician will come see our baby each day in the hospital, then we'll probably do one outpatient visit with him before we move out of state. I have one pediatrician in mind in our new city, but I need to really make up my mind!
July 5th, 2013, 09:04 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was told to have one picked by 34weeks.. but I cant set an appointment until he is born and on my insurance. I will have to bring him in at about 2 days old then 2 weeks.. I called where I want to bring him and made sure they are taking new patients and everything is good to go. I just have to call when he is born to get him on my insurance and then call the office and set up his visit.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
July 5th, 2013, 10:35 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Okay! Ya, and unfortunately this town only has like 3 pediatricians. Unless we went to go to the "city" that's 90 minutes away which is hard for us with my bfs erratic oil field work schedule. I think I found a pediatrician, though. I read a couple of reviews and they were really good.

And, ya, I didnt know if you were suppose to call before baby was born to register as a new patient or after - I guess I'll wait until after!
July 6th, 2013, 12:03 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sara831 View Post
Okay! Ya, and unfortunately this town only has like 3 pediatricians. Unless we went to go to the "city" that's 90 minutes away which is hard for us with my bfs erratic oil field work schedule. I think I found a pediatrician, though. I read a couple of reviews and they were really good.

And, ya, I didnt know if you were suppose to call before baby was born to register as a new patient or after - I guess I'll wait until after!
Just wanted to say I didn't know your bf was in the oilfield. I'm married to a roughneck. he's a Derrick hand.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
July 6th, 2013, 12:53 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
That's cool! My bf doesn't work on a rig... He does fracking, if you know that part of it?? So, is your husband gone while he works on the rig? I hate that part about the oil field. My bf isn't necessarily gone (at a man camp) although lately he has been staying at them for work... But he does get long shifts! He's on a job now that his shifts are 22 hours long and he's only home for 10 hours.
July 6th, 2013, 04:33 AM
Quote:
That's cool! My bf doesn't work on a rig... He does fracking, if you know that part of it?? So, is your husband gone while he works on the rig? I hate that part about the oil field. My bf isn't necessarily gone (at a man camp) although lately he has been staying at them for work... But he does get long shifts! He's on a job now that his shifts are 22 hours long and he's only home for 10 hours.
Yea my friends hubby does fracking too. My dh works 2 weeks on & has 2 weeks off. If his rig is more than am hr away he can't drive home. Thankfully he's close enough now he can come home at night but I only see him for like 20 mins. He showers, eats, then passes out lol poor man.

Sorry I sorta made this thread off topic :-/ lol I just don't know too many women with similar situations.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
July 6th, 2013, 09:17 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
That's good he gets to come home every night! Does your due date land on his days off or is he taking off time around it? I'm getting induced but I still worry that I will go in labor before then and my bf will be on a location with no service or staying at a man camp 3 hours alway. And ya, I saw a couple ppl mention their husbands worked in the oil field on here before, and I was surprised!
July 6th, 2013, 11:40 AM
He will be getting off his 2 week hitch on my due date. So if she comes between 38-40 weeks he will be at work during the day. He's not allowed to carry his phone but he said he prob will start keeping it on him just in case. If she comes from now, 36 wks, to 38 weeks he'll be home.

It makes me nervous but I'm sure we'll figure it out when the time comes. I'm not sure if they are going to give him an days off if she comes while he's working or not. Prob not since they make him work holidays etc if it falls on his hitch. :-/

{ chemical 10/26/12}
July 6th, 2013, 01:04 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Oh my gosh, really? If you went into labor and he was working and you called to let him know they wouldn't let him leave!? My bf said when guys at his job have been working at a site and got calls that their s/o was in labor they were immediately allowed to leave, and they got driven back ASAP to town.
July 6th, 2013, 01:16 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
We see a family dr, he sees all of us for our sick needs and check ups (although I opted to see an OB/GYN for my pregnancies)

Here, they tell you to interview and pick out a ped and make sure they're accepting new patients by 34 weeks and make sure they have privileges at the hospital you're delivering at. They will visit the baby at the hospital within the first 24 hours, again before discharge, likely 1-3 times in the first week home for weight checks, and again for vaccinations and well child checks at 2 weeks, 1 month, 2, months, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months. 18 months, 24 months and then annually.

July 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenilope View Post
We see a family dr, he sees all of us for our sick needs and check ups (although I opted to see an OB/GYN for my pregnancies)

Here, they tell you to interview and pick out a ped and make sure they're accepting new patients by 34 weeks and make sure they have privileges at the hospital you're delivering at. They will visit the baby at the hospital within the first 24 hours, again before discharge, likely 1-3 times in the first week home for weight checks, and again for vaccinations and well child checks at 2 weeks, 1 month, 2, months, 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 12 months, 15 months. 18 months, 24 months and then annually.
Gosh, well, my doctor hasn't even talked about (at least not that I can remember) finding a pediatrician. I'm 34 weeks yesterday, so maybe at this appointment on Tuesday he will say something. The doctor I found definitely won't be coming to the hospital, though, since we are delivering in a different city.
July 6th, 2013, 11:13 PM
Quote:
Oh my gosh, really? If you went into labor and he was working and you called to let him know they wouldn't let him leave!? My bf said when guys at his job have been working at a site and got calls that their s/o was in labor they were immediately allowed to leave, and they got driven back ASAP to town.
No, they will let him leave while I'm in labor but he prob wont get any extra days off. I'm sure he'll be excused while we are in hospital though.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
July 6th, 2013, 11:35 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dandelion View Post
No, they will let him leave while I'm in labor but he prob wont get any extra days off. I'm sure he'll be excused while we are in hospital though.
Ya, my bf company won't give any extra days off either. Well, they would let him take extra days off but they wouldn't be paid.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search