Placenta Encapsulation

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By mamalamb
  • 1 Post By AprylLynn
  • 1 Post By Babsbabies
  • 1 Post By beckiethedoula

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 6th, 2013, 03:47 AM
Veteran
Anyone else doing this? I never have before, but am planning to this time around. I'm fairly concerned about my risk for PPD, so I'm willing to try anything. And while it's not cheap, it will cost about the same as one counseling session would, so it seems like it's worth a try.

If you have/are doing it, how will your placenta be prepared? The doula doing mine can either do it raw (dehydrated, then ground), or steamed (with herbs and then ground). I don't have any conviction about one way versus the other, and was wondering if any of you had opinions.
July 6th, 2013, 05:43 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I have only known of it dehydrated, then powdered. I don't kow about one method being better than the other. I have heard it really does help, I don't know personally though. Good luck.
#12 is on the way
July 6th, 2013, 08:38 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I was going to get mine dehydrated, but things ended up crazy surrounding the birth so none of that happened, plus issues with the placenta are what cause pre-e, so I wasn't sure if i could still get it done and even if it could I'm kinda mad at the placenta so late thing I wanted to do was ingest it. BUT I would have done it otherwise and had originally planned on it.
July 6th, 2013, 08:39 AM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
I would have done it but I definitely can't afford it

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 6th, 2013, 09:43 AM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
If it weren't so expensive, I may have considered it, but I'm just going to go the Zoloft route lol
Momma2Chase likes this.

July 6th, 2013, 09:50 AM
Since I didn't do this and they don't recommend any medications for me while breastfeeding, my midwife recommended Rescue Remedy.

Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy® Natural Stress Relief -- 0.35 fl oz - Vitacost
July 6th, 2013, 09:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
Since I didn't do this and they don't recommend any medications for me while breastfeeding, my midwife recommended Rescue Remedy.

Bach Flower Remedies Rescue Remedy® Natural Stress Relief -- 0.35 fl oz - Vitacost
Oh really? They told me Zoloft would be fine while breastfeeding If it isn't, I may have to do formula again, I guess...which i REALLY don't want to do but I have major ppd and pp anxiety issues and I just refuse to put myself or my kids or husband through it again. I have anxiety issues all the time, actually, but post partum everything goes WAY haywire for me for a few months. Hmmmm

July 6th, 2013, 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mamalamb View Post
Oh really? They told me Zoloft would be fine while breastfeeding If it isn't, I may have to do formula again, I guess...which i REALLY don't want to do but I have major ppd and pp anxiety issues and I just refuse to put myself or my kids or husband through it again. I have anxiety issues all the time, actually, but post partum everything goes WAY haywire for me for a few months. Hmmmm
It's because of my doctor, I think. I will be getting a second opinion. He didn't want to give me anything because he said that everything crosses the breastmilk and what they think is safe one year, a few years later they can find it's causing problems. But this is why I'm trying rescue remedy. I had terrible PPD with my first 3 kids (for up to a year) and I also have anxiety problems all the time.
July 6th, 2013, 11:19 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
My office has 4 different doctors I spoke to about taking zoloft while breastfeeding. I also spoke with the pedi. Every one of them said that as long as its a lower dose it doesnt get to the milk. I take 50 mg which is lowest dose and they insured me that there is nothing to worry about. However if my dose goes up then there is a risk so I wouldnt be able to up it at all if need be.
Ive had anxiety forever and without it everyone else around me is miserable to. It gets so bad I cant walk out my house unless my dh is with me.
mamalamb likes this.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
July 6th, 2013, 11:39 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AprylLynn View Post
My office has 4 different doctors I spoke to about taking zoloft while breastfeeding. I also spoke with the pedi. Every one of them said that as long as its a lower dose it doesnt get to the milk. I take 50 mg which is lowest dose and they insured me that there is nothing to worry about. However if my dose goes up then there is a risk so I wouldnt be able to up it at all if need be.
Ive had anxiety forever and without it everyone else around me is miserable to. It gets so bad I cant walk out my house unless my dh is with me.
Thank you! Have you found 50mg enough to at least take the edge off?

July 6th, 2013, 11:41 AM
Veteran
I've been told and read that Zoloft is the drug of choice when considering antidepressants while breastfeeding. I copied this from Kelly mom:

Zoloft is the “best drug choice so far”. It has a low, low transfer rate to breastmilk (17-173 ug/liter) in mothers taking up to 150 mg/day. In one excellent study of 11 mother/infant pairs, the zoloft was undetectable in 7 of the 11 breastfeeding infants’ serum and minimal in the other infants. In two other studies of one and three mother/infant pairs respectively, zoloft was undetectable in the plasma of all 4 infants. A theoretical concern with Zoloft is that some babies may not gain weight as rapidly or as well when breastfed by moms on Zoloft; so weight gain should be monitored and dosage tweaked as necessary.
http://kellymom.com/bf/can-i-breastf...e10-02/#Zoloft

They reference Thomas Hale, who seems to be the authority on the issue.

I think the concensus might be that while its not ideal for a breastfeeding mother to be on any meds, a healthy mother is much better than an unhealthy one, and the benefits outweigh the risks.
Bookreader likes this.
July 6th, 2013, 01:21 PM
MyFantasticFour's Avatar Mommy of 4
I did it myself (well DH did) with my last baby but I didn't feel any difference from my other kids so I'm not doing it this time. We dehydrated it, ground it, and put it into capsules.

July 6th, 2013, 02:25 PM
beckiethedoula's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Lurking.

My midwife includes it in her fee, so I'll be having it done for a second time. Last time my milk came in faster than with my previous 2 kids and my bleeding stopped sooner. It could have been because I had a much better birth experience and was calmer and better cared for postpartum (I delivered at home) or it could have been the placenta pills. Either way, I'm doing it again. She steams it with ginger and lemon and then dehydrates and encapsulates it.

I have been on Xanax for Generalized Anxiety Disorder for a little over a year. When I got pregnant my symptoms got less intense so I switched to Rescue Remedy and I LOVE it. It's just enough to take the edge off when the symptoms are mild. (If I have a really bad attack I still have to take Xanax) I have attacks rarely enough that a daily medication would be overkill for me. I really like the pastilles for taking when I'm out and about instead of the drops though, because it's less conspicuous.

Good Luck!
alittlelost likes this.

July 6th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
isn't rescue remedy pretty much just alcohol? I've used it before and then realized it would probably take the edge off if I did a shot too. lol.

I'm interested in the placenta encapsulation but at that point with how much we've spent on everything else I probably won't do it. I am scared of PPD though. I'm hoping if I get it I will realize right away and be able to do something for it.

July 6th, 2013, 06:13 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im not doing it.. but I'd be interested in hearing experiences later on from those who chose to do it.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
July 6th, 2013, 06:18 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I won't. I have a friend that made smoothies with her placenta.

July 6th, 2013, 07:41 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm still thinking about it. One of my midwives offers it, and I think it's like $150. I would if it wasn't so expensive, but I still may anyway. I didn't have PPD last time but I am still very high risk for it. Plus there are many other benefits to it. I don't know about the different methods of encapsulation though.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
July 7th, 2013, 08:09 AM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Thank you! Have you found 50mg enough to at least take the edge off?
It definitely takes the edge off. It doesn't fix everything for sure I think I would benefit from a higher dose or some other kind of help with my anxiety but I dont want to up the dose. Im trying to work on the anxiety myself and my husband is very supportive and helpful when I have my "episodes."
50 mg gives me a chance to at least calm myself down (or at least try to) without having an anxiety or panic attack. Without it there is just no calming it down. So I would say it is helping.

We looked into the encapsulation but really cant afford it. The benefits sound great and really think it would help me a lot but we just dont have the money

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search