Autism listed as a side effect of DPT vaccine on the FDA product information sheet

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree30Likes
  • 3 Post By alittlelost
  • 10 Post By KASHWORTH
  • 3 Post By ElliotsMommy13
  • 2 Post By alittlelost
  • 1 Post By mom2K&G
  • 2 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 3 Post By Dandelion
  • 3 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By Momma2Chase
  • 1 Post By Jen71

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2013, 08:42 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
For you non-vaxxing mamas who are in need of a boost that you've made the right decision, I found this interesting:

FDA's product information sheet for the DPT vaccine lists Autism as a possible side effect. (from the FDA website)

"Adverse events reported during post-approval use of Tripedia vaccine include idiopathic thrombocytopenic purpura, SIDS, anaphylactic reaction, cellulitis, autism, convulsion/grand mal convulsion, encephalopathy, hypotonia, neuropathy, somnolence
and apnea"

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/biologi.../ucm101580.pdf
July 7th, 2013, 10:15 AM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
Wow. That's scary. Definitely not getting that vaccine.
July 7th, 2013, 11:42 AM
Regular
I've seen a few anti vac posts in here, and I haven't clicked on them. But you know there is a BOARD for that here. Where you can go talk all you want about vacs and how scared you are of them. Its annoying for it to be here though as I thought this board was a neutral zone really just meant for moms due in august.

Not sure what your education is, but I've done a LOT of research on vacs, as a mom and RN. ANd over and over, there is nothing substantial and there are now health concerns in the community that are a result of more and more people not vaccinating.

Oh and my oldest son is diagnosed high functioning autism. So believe me, I've combed through it all, and I still support vaccination 100%. There has actually been some pretty compelling evidence that autism may be related to bacteria in the digestive tract. Have you begun reading on that or do you just keep trying to discourage others from vaccinating? If you don't want to vac that your (well really your kids) problem. But stop posting little clips of info on the web, without properly explaining it.

When an adverse effect is reported during a study, it is because that symptom or issue was found and reported, and they have to include it. It does not mean that the was necessarily caused by the vaccine.

Actually the part you so convienently left out was this :

The National Vaccine Injury Compensation Program, established by the National Childhood Vaccine Injury Act of 1986, requires physicians and other health-care providers who administer vaccines to maintain permanent vaccination records of the manufacturer and lot number of the vaccine administered in the vaccine recipient’s permanent medical record along with the date of administration of the vaccine and the name, address and title of the person administering the vaccine. The Act (or statute) further requires the health-care professional to report to the Secretary of the US Department of Health and Human Services, the occurrence following immunization of any events set forth in the statute or the Vaccine Injury Table, including anaphylaxis or anaphylactic shock within 7 days; encephalopathy or encephalitis within 7 days, brachial neuritis within 28 days; or an acute complication or sequelae (including death) of an illness, disability, injury, or condition referred to above, or any events that would contraindicate further doses of vaccine, according to this Tripedia vaccine package insert.38

They HAVE to report all issues that arise, any acute illness, that occure within a certain time frame. It does not mean that it was causes by the vaccine.

You post was so manipulative in leaving this out and most lay people don't know this about studies...you didn't post to inform the moms here, you posted you pedal you opinion. Shame on you.
July 7th, 2013, 02:35 PM
I didn't leave anything out. I provided the link. You are only allowed to quote a certain percentage of an article, even if you cite the source, or you risk copyright infringement.

Further, just because a reaction follows a vaccination and a doctor reports it, does not mean it has to be listed as a potential side effect. It takes a lot more than that for them to list it as a side effect. If it was as easy as you make it sound , autism would have been listed as a side effect over a decade ago. It's listed as a side effect now for a reason, and that reason isn't that one doctor reported a child developed autism following a vaccine. Just as I am aware correlation does not equal causation, so are vaccine manufacturers.

There is a TON of info out there. I posted this for moms who already don't vaccinate. No need to "shame" me. There is no shame in being an educated parent. I take time to share info with like minded people, even while dealing with the stress of a baby in the hospital born prematurely, but all you do is come here to berate me and shame me? Shame on WHO now?

Vaccines can damage to the digestive track; yes I've looked into that. We did GFCF diet and probiotics to help his autism. And we've also used chelation treatment. BOTH have helped. We were told BY DOCTORS my son had a vaccine reaction. And we aren't the only ones to be told that. I totally support that other cases of autism were NOT caused by vaccines. I'm very informed on vaccines (both sides) and autism (all possible causes and treatments), AND I'm always continually updating my information database, because things that were once disproved have since be proved. Things change. One day, I may believe in vaccines again.

More info for the non-vaxxing mamas:

Dr. Wakefield's "disproven" study has been replicated no less than THIRTY times and he has actually been exonerated of previous charges. Since the whole "proof there is no link between autism and vaccines", there has been new proof that shows there is a link, hence the vaccine companies now listing it as a side effects. Also don't forget that in 1958 the CDC said cigarettes were safe. We learn more, and our idea of what is healthy changes.

The Italian Courts also ruled that vaccines can cause autism. Additionally, some of the vaccines that are given are for strains of disease from DECADES ago. It's not even the same strains that are being passed around currently (this is why, for example, there is such a high rate of vaccinated kids getting measles despite being vaccinated. The vaccine is for an older strain, not the strain around today

When researching vaccines you have to look at: 1) What are the risks of getting the vaccine? 2) What are the risks of getting the disease? and 3) Do these vaccines ACTUALLY work to prevent disease? Look at the full charts of disease and decide if they eradicated on their own (following clean water, food, and sanitation) or because of vaccines: http://socioecohistory.files.wordpre...f_vaccines.jpg

Baby's family awarded damages after hexavalent vaccine ruled cause of her death: Baby's family awarded damages after hexavalent vaccine ruled cause of her death - Miami healthy living | Examiner.com

Iansvoice.org -- this child died in the hospital following a reaction to the hep B vaccine they give at birth.

Also keep in mind: From January of this year until June 26th $187,329,156.76 has been awarded for vaccine injury!How does this happen when they are PERFECTLY safe? Because they AREN'T perfectly safe.

Info on vaccines and their link to SIDS: Vaccines And Sudden Infant Death Syndrome ... Look into work done by Viera Schneiber--with the use of infant monitors she was able to see the effect vaccines were having on infants. VERY interesting study and results: Consumer Health Articles: VACCINATIONS: PART I - MEDICAL RESEARCH ON SIDS AND EPIDEMICS

And here we have one vaccine that was recently highly recommended, but one of the head developers ended up admitting it's not safe and does more damage than good, because she couldn't sleep at night knowing she was recommending something she had helped create that was so dangerous: Head Vaccine Developer Admits Gardasil Isn't Safe | The Stir (So, straight from the horses mouth!)

This is also not a one time thing, but here was one of the big admissions where CDC admitted to congress that their studies are misleading: http://evidenceofharm.com/VaccineDat...gressFinal.pdf (pages 5 and 6 specifically, though reading the whole thing is great if you can)

Japan also stopped vaccines on kids before the age of 2 for a long time, and saw a HUGE drop in cases of autism. But after that, they changed it to being "optional" before the age of 2, and more parents started vaccinating before the age of 2, and cases of autism went back up again.

From one non-vaxxing moms to other non-vaxxing moms here (that this post is intended for) I think it's important we keep educating ourselves and stay up to date. Our views could change or be strengthened depending on what new developing information becomes available to us. For example, i don't believe in giving babies the vitamin k shot in most cases, but when my baby was born prematurely, I looked into how her gestation would impact my decision, and we decided to give her the vitamin k shot. Some people will decide to give it no matter what or some people will always decline it. But I say it's a good sign when anyone makes any decision from a place of being informed and their OWN research, whether that research is sparked by a post on a forum or by a personal experience or something else. People could read the link I sent and STILL feel differently, and that's GREAT.

Many vaccine reactions also go unreported, mostly because the doctors will blame the reaction on something else. I know people who have had to pay out of pocket to get a diagnosis because the doctor would not diagnose the child with a disease they were vaccinated against. This effects the APPEARANCE of number of vaccine failures as not everyone can afford to pay out of pocket, not to mention the parents who blindly trust doctors. This practice is dangerous, however; diseases need to be properly diagnosed and treated whether the child was vaccinated against a disease or not. Vaccines do not mean you are definitely protected, and even the CDC themselves admits this.Then again, the CDC also still says that bMI is a great way to determine obesity, despite most athlete having a high BMI due to muscle. There are better ways to determine obesity. I often do quote the FDA and CDC as a source though because many people do have blind faith in what they say, so they should know what these organizations admit, and consider what they aren't admitting...

Last edited by alittlelost; July 8th, 2013 at 07:34 PM.
July 7th, 2013, 02:41 PM
FYI, I am a mom due in august so I can post here if I want. That's like saying people can't talk about formula feeding here because there's another board for formula feeding, oir breastfeeding, or sleeping arrangements or anything else. We can talk about anything we want here. If you don't want to read vaccine information, don't open my post! You knew what it was yet you clicked on it anyway. That was YOUR decision. So "shaming" me is quite odd. I've done nothing shameful. But you harassing and attacking me for sharing with other like-minded mamas who might be on this board was shameful of YOU.

If you want to post pro-vaccine info based on your research, make your own posts! Nothing is stopping you. As an RN, though, you've had some things beat into your head in medical school. I know another RN who despite her kids vaccine reactions refused to see the connection until the damage was so bad it was irreparable. The reality is, reactions DO happen. A parent needs to be informed of that possibility as well as informed of what the diseases can do to their otherwise healthy child, and then they have to decide which risks they are willing to live with. They have to decide how much they think the vaccines really work and they have to decide how common the reactions are. I am not going to "fully explain" things because a parent needs to research things for THEMSELVES. And why would I fully explain it to OTHER NON VAXXING MAMAS. That is who these posts have ALWAYS been addressed to. These are mamas who clearly know how to look more into sources and do not need me to "explain" anything as they can click the link and look into things themselves, as they always have.

Last edited by alittlelost; July 7th, 2013 at 02:45 PM.
July 7th, 2013, 02:58 PM
KASHWORTH's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Casey, that is great that you feel so strongly about this subject and that you have done all of your research. A lot of people will just go with the flow and not be fully informed of the decisions that you are making. I don't find Lost's post manipulative, as she is stating facts and providing links to entire articles. She doesn't try to force people not to vax, she tries to make sure people are making informed decisions and shares her opinion on the topic. You're right, there is a non-vaxing board on JM... There are boards for everything, and if we weren't supposed to post in this DDC about things that there are other boards for it would be very boring in here. I would find this unacceptable if Lost was not part of our group, but she is. We need to be open to other's opinions and if you don't agree and it bothers you, you may ignore or block someone. We are all a little hormonal and this happens when you throw a bunch of pregnant women together, but let's just try to be supportive of each other in this time

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my siggy!
July 7th, 2013, 03:00 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Wow! I definitely have to agree with lost on this one. She isn't on here all the time beating people over the head with her opinions. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion and that is exactly why I love this board so much. To come out and be so nasty in a big long message in public isn't cool. For anyone who wants to have their own opinion and be civil about it is welcome in my book weather I agree or not as there are tons of different opinions on here. We are so close to the end. Can we please be civil? I have respect for pretty much everyone in here who has come in and been a great part of discussion or posting their own feelings and opinions without shame. I really dont respect people who will bash another member for just doing what they believe in their heart to be best for their own child.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
July 7th, 2013, 03:15 PM
Thank you ladies! I'm passionate and opinionated but I've always done my best to direct my information at those who I think would be interested. Easier than sending out a ton of PMs and more effective than posting on a board no one posts to. It also means anyone who is CURIOUS can peek in, too. I expect those who have differing opinions can make their own posts if they want, by my way of posting has always been done in such a way to hope it doesn't start conflict. I support all mamas in making the informed decision that is right for them and their kids. I would never pressure anyone to not vaccinate, but I hope I would inspire people to educate themselves and make the decision they feel is right for THEM.
mom2K&G and MommyPenguin4 like this.
July 7th, 2013, 04:58 PM
mom2K&G's Avatar Certified Dog Trainer
I have always appreciated the opinions of all the ladies on this board. Never once have I felt pressured to change how I parent. Like Lost said it's about researching and making the BEST choice for our kids!
MommyPenguin4 likes this.

July 7th, 2013, 05:11 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I appreciate the info and links, and have read quite a few of them. Thank you for posting.
#12 is on the way
July 7th, 2013, 06:00 PM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I also appreciate your informative posts Lost. And I'm a vaccinating mom. I see nothing wrong with the posts and find it ODD you were just basically told to keep the info to yourself or post on a specific board. Really? No. Last I checked there wasn't a rule about this specific thing so keep on posting mama.

I also find it extremely immature of Casey to make another post about lost off of this board. Really? "Shame on you."

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!

Last edited by Dandelion; July 7th, 2013 at 06:06 PM.
July 7th, 2013, 07:28 PM
Thank ladies I have bigger concerns right now so it's not worth my energy. If Casey needs to vent to another board, so be it. I have to choose not to engage. Sh sees me as anti vax and says herself she is very pro vax. I think it's simply a misunderstanding. I'm not anti vax. I'm pro educate before you vaccinate, even if that means the parents DO vaccinate. I support ANy decision made based on research. I'm proud to be part of a ddc that educates themselves! I'm also glad that Casey has educated herself and made the best decision for her family. I can't engage in whatever drama that she wants to stir up, though, especially when I feel she is misrepresenting what I believe in and the intention of my posts. I think this whole thing could have really stressed me out right now if not for the awesome support of all the vaxxing and non vaxxing mamas here. Or as I like to put it, all the educated mamas here doing what is best for their kids, whatever that may be.

Ps: Isabel is off the feeding tube

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
yvee80, mom2K&G and MommyPenguin4 like this.
July 7th, 2013, 07:51 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
So sorry to see this Lost.

I may not share the same opinions as you but I value yours. I read your anti-vacc posts always but I don't typically reply since I am pro-vacc. But my lack of reply is out of respect, I feel no reason to reply just to say I disagree with you.

In my opinion, you sharing this information is the same as someone else sharing circumcision (or anti) information for those who may be interested. It's informational and for those to do as they please. One post on the Internet isn't going to sway someone's opinion on something so important.

Hope you hang around Lost, those of us who have known you for all these months of our pregnancies would hate to see you go

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 7th, 2013, 09:26 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
I don't think you try to force anything down anyone's throat either. You don't put people down who vaccinate. You don't make yourself seem above vaccinating moms because you don't. You just post articles or your thoughts based on facts you've read. I find the things you post really interesting, and I'm glad you post them!
July 8th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Jen71's Avatar Super Mommy
Lost, you are always respectful with your posts, and address them to the audience you are addressing. You're not trying to sway anyone, but are mearly providing information, which I appreciate. You have done nothing to warrant "shame" AT ALL. People get passionate about things like this. Both "sides" feel very strongly because its our kids health we are talking about. I'm sorry this got taken to a personal level.
alittlelost likes this.

Last edited by Jen71; July 8th, 2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: Posted reply in wrong thread.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search