Spanish Immersion Daycare?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By sapphire116

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 8th, 2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran
I wish with all my might that DH or I could be a stay-at-home parents, but it's just not financially feasible for us (darn you student loans!!). We signed Riley up for our top choice daycare in March 2013, but they don't anticipate any openings until April 2014. So we need to find her a daycare from early November until our top choice opens up.

I found a 4-star Spanish immersion daycare near our house and am very interested in signing DD up for it, but DH is very leery. He thinks it's weird that the kids would speak only Spanish, and could be confusing to DD learning both English and Spanish at the same time. I think it's awesome, something that will be extremely useful down the road for her, and I know that learning two languages when you're an infant is WAY easier than learning down the road. If it's a good fit, I'd even forgo our top choice and keep her in the immersion daycare.

Any ideas on how to make DH come around to my thinking? Any personal experiences with immersion daycares from any moms on here?
alittlelost likes this.
July 8th, 2013, 09:28 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never seen an immersion daycare before. My son's daycare does do a spanish class, though I'm not really sure how often. His first daycare had it everyday because one of the teachers spoke it fluently. Haeden really caught on fast and I loved it. He has since forgotten most of it, I think. Do you or DH speak Spanish? If so, then I think it's an awesome idea.

I have a friend who is Colombian. They speak mostly spanish at home and then the kids speak English at school. I know that it can cause a slight delay just because there is sooo much to learn, but overall, it is worth it and best to start early. I have heard that they recommend that one parent speak English and the other speak only Spanish if you have bilinguals at home.

July 8th, 2013, 09:36 AM
Veteran
Neither my husband or I speak Spanish. I wish we did though! It would open up SO many more employment opportunities.
July 8th, 2013, 10:22 AM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The easiest time to learn any language is before 5 yrs old. The only negative I've found (daddy speaks full time Spanish and me English) is my boys have had a speech delay, which could be because of learning to languages or it could have just been a speech delay they would have had anyway. Now a days employers look for people that are fluent in two or more languages. I'd go for it, and then if you can you and hubby can take classes too. There is a free online site to learn another language, its similar to Rosetta Stone, but free.

July 8th, 2013, 12:34 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Lurking from the Sep 2013 DDC. My daughter who is 4 is bilingual. Well DH and I are as well, but not in a true sense. ie. We speak our native language (Which is Tamil) at home and with family. We think in that language. But we are quite fluent in English. DD goes to a regular daycare where they only speak English of course, but they have Spanish classes. We speak Tamil with her at home. She speaks English best, struggles a bit with Tamil because right now we are the only two people who speak to her in Tamil (the rest of our family lives in India) and sometimes when she lapses into English, we reply in English etc. which doesn't help with her Tamil. She understands a lot of words and phases in Spanish as well.

You could say she was very slightly language delayed as a result of being exposed to 3 languages. But she is absorbing them like a sponge!! There are so many studies that prove that being bilingual or trilingual is very benefitial for thought process, decision making, multi tasking etc. Her problem of not excelling in our home language is only because she doesn't get enough practice, where as in yur case, all of your family, friends, neighbors etc. are going to be interacting with her in English and therefore its going to be easy for her to learn both Spanish and English equally!! Google up some studies on the benefits of raising your kids multi lingual and show them to your DH. Good luck

July 8th, 2013, 01:58 PM
LadyGamer's Avatar Objection!!!
I would LOVE to have something like that available to me. Children tend to know who to speak which words to, and I think it would be an amazing opportunity.

Thank you, Jaidynsmum, for the amazing siggy

July 8th, 2013, 02:25 PM
WorkerBeeMama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My kids went to a Spanish immersion elementary and although there are pros and cons, I would not do it again. They are bilingual, but there are other issues we had to deal with that I would want to avoid with future children.

Mindy & Josh
Mama to 3 beautiful girls!
DD - Maya (11), DD - Sophia (7)
, & DD - Jane (0)

11/04 09/12 12/12
July 9th, 2013, 03:52 AM
Veteran
WorkerBee, would you mind sharing what kinds of other issues your kids ran into while in the Spanish immersion elementary? It would be great to get a rounded pros/cons list going for me. Thanks!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search