How did you handle your older children when the baby comes?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 10:06 AM
Veteran
I have a (Just) 3 year old at home. He seems excited about the baby but the realities are very different, I'm sure. What are some good tips that I can do to help him when the novelty wears off and he's trying to get my attention while I'm tired and have a newborn that needs attention as well?
July 16th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Hesperleigh's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oooh, good question! Can't wait to see the answers on this one. I'm a little worried about the adjustment period as well.

July 16th, 2013, 10:22 AM
Mega Super Mommy
My son was 5 when my daughter was born but something we did was create a big brother basket of items like playdough, shape cutters, etc for him to play with when I was busy with the baby. He knew he could only play with those when I had my hands full and it kept him occupied Maybe special cartoons that he only watches when you're feeling baby,etc?

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 16th, 2013, 11:18 AM
soccermamatomany's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Honestly, I remember some jealousy from my 3 year old when the twins were born, but it did not get bad. When I really needed time to get things done, videos won out. She was a pretty good kid and loved her babies.

My twins were 5 when my son was born and I remember one of them completely acting out, screaming fits, etc. I did not let her bad behavior win. I calmly would tell her that once she settled down, I would listen to what she had to say. She would continue to scream until she realized I wouldn't listen to her. It didn't last long. Probably a month or so. By then I also had a 9 year old and she was a big help.
Twin DDs: 14 yo
DS: 9yo
Step DD: 15yo
Step DD: 11yo
Rayna-August 18, 2013!
July 16th, 2013, 12:01 PM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
I don't have any good tips, except letting them help with baby as much as possible. I have never really dealt with jealousy issues and for the most part they understand needs get met from youngest to oldest (unless its an emergency).

I for the most part have always had plenty of kids to entertain each other too.
#12 is on the way
July 16th, 2013, 12:18 PM
sara831's Avatar Veteran
I don't have tips, but I'm definitely worried about jealousy from my bfs 8 year old daughter. He hasn't even told her yet, and said he was going to wait until we move to California and just introduce them- which I think is a horrible plan. She's never had to share his attention or money (he spoils her rotten) before. Even when I met her if her dad started to pay any attention to me she did something to divert the attention back to her. So, ya... It's nice to read tips cause this does worry me!
July 16th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
My oldest was 15 months when my 2nd was born and, probably just her personality, but we didn't have jealousy issues with her. When I nursed baby she wanted to be close so I would turn on a show for her to watch and she would sit or stand right next to me, often with her little hand on my knee until I was done. I also gave her jobs to do to help with baby (which I did when #3 came along, too) mostly stuff like fetching a cloth or diaper, easy stuff that she could see how it helped right away.

DD1 was 3 and DD2 was 2 when DD3 was born. DD2 was a little jealous but nothing terrible. I did make sure that she had jobs to do to help out and encouraged her to touch and talk to the baby a lot. I also made a point of sometimes actually saying "I'm sorry baby, you have to wait, I'm helping DD1 or DD2 now." Instead of always only telling them to wait. It seemed to help.

Finally, before each baby was born I made an effort to encourage the kids to spend more time playing independently, even just 15-30 minutes for a child who is used to being next to you all the time can really help. And I made sure their room or play room had plenty (but not too many!) of age-appropriate, interesting toys that would be easy to take out and easy to put away (we use bins)

And it's important to remember their schedule, too, when they're that little. It's easy to forget to make morning snack or get 30-60 minutes behind on nap or meals and hungry preschoolers and toddlers are angry uncooperative preschoolers and toddlers.

It will be an adjustment for everyone, but right around that 3 month mark you'll feel like you've got it all well in hand.

Mom to four beautiful girls

July 16th, 2013, 03:08 PM
Pbear31's Avatar Super Mommy
I have read what Jenilope said as a strategy. Saying "Just a second baby, I am helping ____ right now." Even if it is only 30 seconds, it helps them feel special.

This is my second...so I am definitely going to troll this thread for thoughts/feedback/ideas!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search