Questions for experienced breastfeeding and pumping moms!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2013, 05:26 PM
Momma2Chase's Avatar August 2013 DDC Co-Host
First off-- should I be bringing my pump to the hospital? Or just worry about exclusively BFing while there?

I plan to pump and BF, so is okay to give her a pacifier in the hospital? (My son wouldn't take one anyway so this may be a non-issue) I know about nipple confusion but I'm wondering if I pump too if it'll still be a problem

What other items do I need? I have the pump- but like breast pads (what kind?), cream (what kind?), etc

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 16th, 2013, 06:18 PM
Super Mommy
I can't imagine you will need your pump at the hospital. Not a lot comes out right away and if you do need it they should have an electric one for you to use. Additionally I think the skin to skin and BF is best for that first day or two.

In my experience nipple confusion is entirely up to each baby some get it some don't. Pumping will have no impact. As for lotion nothing is better than our own milk. Just hand express a couple of drops and gently rub on sore areas. Best for you and baby.

Take care when showering not to use soap and let air dry or pat dry as towel drying in the first days or weeks can be uncomfortable and cause increased tenderness.

Washable breathable breast pads are best. Look for cotton or a bambo cotton mix.

Hope this helps.
July 16th, 2013, 06:22 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't pump while in hospital. If you plan to use a pacifier often, then introduce in the hospital so baby will learn both latches. Most babies if started with both at the beginning have no issues, its trying to introduce the pacifier later that latch issues happen I believe. I would exclusively bf for the first 2 weeks at least then start pumping but I've never pumped before so when (if) I do it this time, I won't even know where to start lol

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 16th, 2013, 06:26 PM
mrsmckenzie1's Avatar Veteran
You will not need a pump at the hospital. Focus on exclusively breastfeeding to establish your supply for at least the first week. Why? Well your breast will supply milk for what baby is eating. If you start pumping it will tell your breast you need to make more milk leading to engorgement... ouch!
As for a pacifier, my dd wouldn't take one and my ds wouldn't till he was like 4 mths but I dk nt think it will be a problem.
When you do start pumping there are a couple ways you can go about it... you can feed her both vreast then pump or what worked well for my daughter not my son cause he was greedy... but I fed on one breast and pumped on the other...
Good luck with the booby milk... hang in there the benefits outweigh the possible frustration

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search