External cephalic version

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By UrbanMomma
  • 1 Post By alittlelost
  • 2 Post By HollyNE2
  • 2 Post By markswife

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2013, 11:02 AM
Mega Super Mommy
How many of you would try this as last option to get baby head down?
After trying many things to try to get her to turn, she is still going back and forth between breech and transverse, so my dr scheduled me for an ecv on Friday and I will be 38 weeks. I think this is my last hope at avoiding a c section, but I'm worried this may hurt the baby. Had anyone tried this or would consider it?

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my siggy!

July 17th, 2013, 11:08 AM
UrbanMomma's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via Yahoo to UrbanMomma
If I was a candidate for one and needed it I would try it to avoid a section. I have heard it is uncomfortable for mom, not sure about how it effects baby.

Good luck.
alittlelost likes this.
Nehemiaah Franklin 11/10/14 4:16am 9lbs 9oz
Welcome to the world lil' man!!
July 17th, 2013, 11:15 AM
Dandelion's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would consider it too if my ob suggested it.

{ chemical 10/26/12}
Thanks *Kiliki* for my lovely siggy!!
July 17th, 2013, 12:04 PM
mamalamb's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would also consider it if it was suggested by my doctor. Good luck!!!

July 17th, 2013, 12:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've been reading up on it and it seems to have about a 50% chance of actually working. Some things I'm reading say they monitor with a scan, some say they just do it by feel. My sister in law tried it when pregnant with my nephew and it didn't work, she ended up with a c section anyways.

If you read my earlier post, my little guy is a footling breech meaning one foot up, one foot down. The more I read, the more I'm realizing footlings are less likely to turn though it is possible. The thing that worries me the most is that he has his cord right up against his face holding it between his arms so my fear is that in trying to turn him, his cord will get twisted and cut off oxygen.

All things I'm going to be talking to my doctor about on Monday, but I bet we don't truly worry until 36-37 weeks.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 17th, 2013, 12:11 PM
Veteran
I'm not a candidate for it, but I think if I were I'd consider it. It would really depend on my particular situation. My mother (former RN) and my elective ultrasound tech- who are both in their 60's- were VERY against it, citing horrible side effects and the pain. However, my OB said it was a perfectly acceptable option for those who might benefit from it.
July 17th, 2013, 12:12 PM
miniRazz's Avatar <3 my rainbow baby
My sister said it was the most painful thing she has ever been through and still ended up with a c section. Not sure how it effects baby though.

July 17th, 2013, 12:15 PM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I WAS going to do it, but Isabel flipped head down the day they were going to induce (despite being transverse and breech most of the pregnancy including the rest of the week I had been in the hospital), so I ended up not needing it. To be a candidate, your baby has to be in a good position, big enough, and the cord can't be preventing the flip from safely happening. They will do an ultrasound before the attempt to determine these things. It also helps if your doctor has done many of them before and is skilled at doing so. My OB's method involves some kind of anesthetic because he will do a c-section right away if necessary if it fails, so they have you 'c-section ready' (which is fine, since that's what you would need anyway if it didn't work).

Did you try spinning babies? Peppermint oil, cold, and music were what flipped Isabel.

Last edited by alittlelost; July 17th, 2013 at 12:20 PM.
July 17th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameronzmom View Post
If you read my earlier post, my little guy is a footling breech meaning one foot up, one foot down. The more I read, the more I'm realizing footlings are less likely to turn though it is possible. The thing that worries me the most is that he has his cord right up against his face holding it between his arms so my fear is that in trying to turn him, his cord will get twisted and cut off oxygen.

All things I'm going to be talking to my doctor about on Monday, but I bet we don't truly worry until 36-37 weeks.
The cord getting twisted and possibly ripping my anterior placenta is what concerns me the most.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alittlelost View Post
I WAS going to do it, but Isabel flipped head down the day they were going to induce (despite being transverse and breech most of the pregnancy including the rest of the week I had been in the hospital), so I ended up not needing it. To be a candidate, your baby has to be in a good position, big enough, and the cord can't be preventing the flip from safely happening. They will do an ultrasound before the attempt to determine these things. It also helps if your doctor has done many of them before and is skilled at doing so. My OB's method involves some kind of anesthetic because he will do a c-section right away if necessary if it fails, so they have you 'c-section ready' (which is fine, since that's what you would need anyway if it didn't work).

Did you try spinning babies? Peppermint oil, cold, and music were what flipped Isabel.
The only thing I haven't tried is the peppermint oil...how do you use it?

I've done a ton ofswimming, hot/cold packs, music, massage, pretty much standing on my head lol. I've done these things multiple times and nothing is working.

July 17th, 2013, 02:34 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I was a candidate with #1 and had it scheduled for 38 weeks. My OB said they would do it in the OR. I would have an epidural because 1. it's painful and 2. if there's a need for c-section already having the epidural in place would eliminate the need to put me under general anesthetic.

For my procedure, the baby would be monitored the whole time and if the version worked, we would have induced immediately so she wouldn't have had a chance to turn back around.

She ended up flipping at 36.5 weeks so I didn't end up needing it, but I would try it. This baby is unpredictable in her positioning and I would sign up to try a version this time if she's not in a good position. If the version doesn't work and the baby tolerates the attempt well, my OB would have let me go home and wait for labor to start to see if that (or the extra time) got her to flip, but my babe was transverse, not footling.

July 17th, 2013, 08:50 PM
Breech baby you put peppermint at top of belly.

I did this probably 6-8 times a day for 5 days before she flipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner
July 17th, 2013, 09:05 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My first was breech and I was scheduled for a version. Something in my gut told me not to go through with it and thank goodness we didn't. I had a c-section which revealed that Maddie had an unusually short cord holding her like a bungee so she couldn't flip. If we had have gone through with the version, she may have died as her cord would have torn from the placenta.

My take on it is that if natural methods and the Webster chiropractic technique don't work, then there's a reason why the baby isn't flipping head down and a c-section is the safest option for both mom and baby.

July 17th, 2013, 10:15 PM
Collie--Any doctor that doesn't know how to look out for that PRIOR to doing a version . . . well, that's scary. My doctor specifically mentioned to me that if her cord was too short they would not be flipping her for exactly that reason. It's scary that doctors would do a version without being skilled and knowing what to look for I know I was with a huge OB practice and only 2 of the many OBs there did versions because they were the only ones skilled at doing them. I also think the OBs to trust are the ones who do the versions in the OR and have you prepped for c-section just in case. Worse comes to worse, you end up with a c-section you would have DEFINITELY had to had anyway. At least with the version you have a chance to avoid it. but again, not everyone is a candidate for this and the doctors should be checking these things (including cord length!!!) to determine qualification. It's scary to me that a doctor could be that dumb to recommend a version to someone who's baby has a too-short umbilical cord. I certainly wouldn't want that guy/woman cutting me open or caring for me after that!
Jenilope likes this.
July 17th, 2013, 11:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm glad I posted this. I will certainly be asking a ton of questions before hand. Especially about cord length.
The lady I talked to who scheduled my version said I will be prepped for a c section, but that there had never been an emergency c section from a version that she knows of. So that made me feel a lot better.
Jenilope and alittlelost like this.

July 18th, 2013, 08:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
This came up at the last minute in the day before Finley's delivery when the peri and I were trying to come up with a feasible delivery plan. Finley had been head down since 28 weeks but turned transverse about 10 hours before she was born. My peri briefly mentioned a version as an option, but since Finley was showing signs of distress he eventually recommended against it.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
July 18th, 2013, 01:02 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Unfortunately with Maddie they couldn't tell the length of the cord from ultrasound. They tried but she was obscuring the view and they couldn't get accurate measurements, but it was certainly a factor that was brought up and taken into consideration.

July 18th, 2013, 01:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colliekat View Post
Unfortunately with Maddie they couldn't tell the length of the cord from ultrasound. They tried but she was obscuring the view and they couldn't get accurate measurements, but it was certainly a factor that was brought up and taken into consideration.
It makes sense you didn't go through with it then. I can't say for sure, but I sense my doctors would have taken the option off the table if they couldn't tell the length of the cord. They were very reserved about using that method ONLY when they felt certain it was safe to try, and even then they wanted to be ready to operate just in case.
July 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My ob mentioned it as an option if this baby girl keeps flipping back up or trying for a breech vaginal delivery but I'm not sure I want that either. So just trying spinning baby techniques to keep her head down.

July 20th, 2013, 09:29 PM
markswife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Popping in from the May PR. I attempted a version when my daughter flipped to breech in my 37th week. They did a non-stress test before the attempt and again for an hour after the attempt.

The version itself was only 5-10 minutes. It didn't hurt as much as I thought it would. I compare it to a massage where they find a really tight spot and it hurts while they are working out the knot and you know if you just hang in there and breathe through it that it will feel really good in the end. My doctor tried 5 times to flip my daughter but she didn't budge at all.

My daughter ended up flipping on her own the next night and then my water broke two days later. I don't know if either of those things would have happened without the version.

I would do it again if I was in the same position. Hopefully your little one will flip on his/her own and you won't have to worry about anything.
Jenilope and 4littleloves like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search