Introducing New baby to our older son

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By cameronzmom
  • 1 Post By Jenilope

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2013, 02:19 PM
Regular
I'm not really sure how we should introduce our two year old son to his little brother. He will be staying with friends who will bring him to the hospital when we are ready. I plan on giving him lots of attention while he's there and will tell other family members who show up to greet him first before the new baby and obviously give him lots of attention in addition to the baby.
For BTDT moms, what did you do when introducing the new sibling? I've read a lot of people who presented a gift "from the baby". Do you think that's a good idea? I'm a little nervous about him feeling jealous, confused and upset. I just want it to be a really easy transition. Oh and we are talking to him a lot about the baby now before he comes, talking about him being a big brother and what it will be like to have a new baby in the house.. I don't think he really gets it though
July 22nd, 2013, 02:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My son was 5 when my daughter was born but something that we did that seemed to help was when he came into the room, I was NOT holding the baby. So I greeted him, he got to cuddle with me and THEN we showed him his little sister and he got to go over and see her. We made sure anytime someone was holding the baby someone else was busy with him, reading a book, playing a game, etc

We did a gift for him but it wasn't from baby. It was more of a "Congratulations, you're a big brother now gift" It included a new big brother shirt he got to put on, a new book about being a big brother and a couple small snacks to keep him from begging for a snack every few minutes. He had no problems adjusting
mirdeemrlvs likes this.

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 22nd, 2013, 04:44 PM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
We got my girls "big sister" shirts and when they came to the hospital to meet their sister we really talked it up that they were the FIRST people to meet her and that she was going to love them so much, and then we let them each hold her and took a picture and printed them out so they could mail it to their friends to show off their new baby, which they really loved.
Although, when dd3 was born dd2 was still 9 days away from turning 2, she obviously didn't fully comprehend the whole situation, she saw me holding Adelaide and thought she was a doll. She ran up to grab her from me and the look of shock on her face when Adelaide opened her eyes and mouth at being touched so suddenly and Evelyn realized she was REAL and not a doll was priceless, I still get the giggles thinking about that. I wonder if we have it on video, I'll have to check tomorrow, I hope we do, somewhere because it was hilarious.
My advice is that he WILL adjust, and he will take his cues from you. If you seem apologetic, he'll assume he should be mad, if you seem excited for him, he'll assume something good has happened. He's 2, so there will be good days and bad days, but there would be good and bad days with a 2 year old only child, too.
Bookreader likes this.

Mom to four beautiful girls

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search