Btdt csection mommies...recovery questions

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2013, 08:22 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have a few questions for BTDT csection mommies. A csection was not on my radar so I didn't really research about recovery or talk to anyone or anything. I have a few questions.

1. Where did you sleep the first week or so? My bed is super comfortable but I can't get out of it without feeling like my incision is ripping open, so I've been sleeping in our recliner I miss DH. Any tips?

2. Did you follow all the recovery rules? I was told not to pick up anything heavier than baby for 6 weeks and not to drive for 2 weeks. I've followed those rules so far, but I'm really starting to feel a lot better so I'm wondering what you ladies did/were told.

3. How long did your bleeding last?

4. Anything else you'd like to add would be helpful!

Thanks so much

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
July 24th, 2013, 08:43 AM
jessicag's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. Where did you sleep the first week or so? My bed is super comfortable but I can't get out of it without feeling like my incision is ripping open, so I've been sleeping in our recliner I miss DH. Any tips? With DS, I put a crapton of pillows on my side of the bed and slept at an incline instead of flat. It helped a ton. This time I have a feeling I will be sleeping in the living room though (our bed is super low and I can barely get out of it now, let alone with an incision) .

2. Did you follow all the recovery rules? I was told not to pick up anything heavier than baby for 6 weeks and not to drive for 2 weeks. I've followed those rules so far, but I'm really starting to feel a lot better so I'm wondering what you ladies did/were told. YES! I also plan on very very strictly following the no lifting rule this time (did not have a toddler last time so it was not an issue), I do not want to break open my incision (internally or externally!). Driving is not really an issue for me since DH will be home, but I wouldn't go against what they say. 2 weeks is not that long.

3. How long did your bleeding last? About 4 weeks, I was super heavy for about a week and then moderate for another week, then just light off and on for about two weeks.

Thanks so much to Jaidynsmum for my adorable siggy

10-30-12

July 24th, 2013, 08:48 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I'm only 9 days out, but feeling pretty good. The feeling of my incision tearing (for me it was more like my guts were gonna fall out every time i stood up) last about 5 days. It helps to kinda hold your abdomen when you get up and go slowly. I'm doing okay sleeping on my bed, though for the first week in the hospital it was nice being able to raise/lower the bed as needed!

I definitely avoid picking up stuff heavier than the baby, mostly because it makes my incision hurt if I do. I have driven a couple times this week for appointments, but I'm mostly avoiding it.

My bleeding has mostly stopped, I just see it when I wipe now (for the last three days).

I did take a lot of arnica the first week and that may have helped with my recovery. It helped a TON with my last birth and seems to have sped recovery this time as well...

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

Last edited by Kelllilee; July 24th, 2013 at 09:02 AM.
July 24th, 2013, 08:52 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Thanks ladies for your input/advice!! I'm going to try the bed again tonight with a million pillows and hopefully it will work. Every day is better and I got my staples out yesterday and the ripping feeling is already not as intense.

Kellisa I'm glad you are recovering well!!! How's Whitney doing? How are the girls doing with her?

July 24th, 2013, 09:06 AM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
She's doing pretty good. Aside from some having some issues breastfeeding still (I think it's mostly that her mouth is so tiny!! lol), things are going well. She only lost a few ounces and is almost back to birth weight, so she's getting enough, it's just a struggle to actually get her to latch on!

The girls ADORE her and love helping out - they fight over who gets to pick out her next diaper. So far no jealousy issues, just general misbehavior due to having no normal routine for 3 weeks!

How about you and your boys?

oh, I also didn't have staples. I've heard those hurt more... They did surgical glue on mine.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 24th, 2013, 09:09 AM
Platinum Supermommy
1. Where did you sleep the first week or so? bed but by myself because dh moves a lot.

2. Did you follow all the recovery rules? the carrying stuff yes. None of the other stuff.

3. How long did your bleeding last? 10 days or so with my first but 3+ weeks with my second.

July 24th, 2013, 09:41 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelllilee View Post
She's doing pretty good. Aside from some having some issues breastfeeding still (I think it's mostly that her mouth is so tiny!! lol), things are going well. She only lost a few ounces and is almost back to birth weight, so she's getting enough, it's just a struggle to actually get her to latch on!

The girls ADORE her and love helping out - they fight over who gets to pick out her next diaper. So far no jealousy issues, just general misbehavior due to having no normal routine for 3 weeks!

How about you and your boys?

oh, I also didn't have staples. I've heard those hurt more... They did surgical glue on mine.
That's so sweet that the girls adore their baby sis! And AWESOME that she is almost back to birth weight. Wtg mama! Finley lost a lot in the beginning and still has 5oz to go to get back to birth weight so hopefully at her weight check Monday she's back up. She looked so bloated and puffy when she was born which is common for GD babies.

The boys love their sister. Chase always wants to be next to her and asks a ton of questions about her (her noises, umbilical stump, nursing, etc). Cole is obsessed with her but he's a 14.5 month old bulldozer lol so we have to be careful!

July 24th, 2013, 10:01 AM
Veteran
1. I slept in my bed with pillows. Yeah, not flat seemed to work the best.

2. I followed everything until I got the Okay from the doctor. No point in doing something and then ending up in pain again. My SIL went up and down stairs too much and ripped her incision.

3. Bleeding was 4-6 weeks? I don't remember, but it wasn't horrid.
July 24th, 2013, 06:41 PM
carolinashore's Avatar Veteran
1. Where did you sleep the first week or so? I slept in bed with lots of pillows to prop me up.

2. Did you follow all the recovery rules? I was told not to pick up anything heavier than baby for 6 weeks and not to drive for 2 weeks. I've followed those rules so far, but I'm really starting to feel a lot better so I'm wondering what you ladies did/were told. With my first, I followed the rules pretty closely because I was so sore. With my second, I felt better a lot faster, and didn't. I just listened to my body and did what felt right.

3. How long did your bleeding last? My first was about 6 weeks and heavy, my second was 2-3 weeks and very light.

4. Anything else you'd like to add would be helpful! Stay on top of pain management! Both times I was able to just take the mega dose of Motrin instead of the heavy drugs, as long as I took the Motrin on schedule, and didn't miss any doses.

July 24th, 2013, 07:38 PM
AprylLynn's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My first I was in the recliner for about a week from when I got home. Second I was on the recliner a few days. My recovery second time around went a lot better since I knew what I had to do in order to feel better faster. It helped a lot to put a pillow on my abdomen while I was getting up.

I did follow the no lifting thing both times since I felt like I was going to rip open if I did. I know its going to be a bit rougher this time since Ill have the newborn a 2 yr old and a 3 yr old. My 2 yr old always wants to be picked up but she has gotten better during this pregnancy. I do worry about them jumping on me since they do that all the time.

With Tyler (1st) I bled for a month maybe a little more. With Alyssa I did for 3 weeks.

Visit my blog:http://adventuresofamom.blog.com/
July 25th, 2013, 12:22 PM
KeLLiC09's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
1. Where did you sleep the first week or so? I slept in my bed. I had that feeling too that my incision was going to rip open. I kind of rolled myself to the edge, sat up, and then sat there for a few and then stood up slowly.

2. Did you follow all the recovery rules? Yes! Other than going up and down steps. I have 1 bathroom in my house and it's in the 2nd floor. My incision opened on the sides because of that and I tried doing more than I should have. I didn't do a lot of lifting and by the 2nd week when I was able to drive I was okay to do it.

3. How long did your bleeding last? Heavy bleeding for about 2 weeks. By the 3rd week it was very little. Total it was about 4 weeks.

4. Anything else you'd like to add would be helpful! I wish you a quick and speedy recovery and don't over do it!
and Mason Jacob born 08.12.13

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search