Breastfeeding/weight gain update!

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Beachbabies

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2013, 11:47 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Breastfeeding is still going well...Finley has a good latch and definitely has an appetite. She's a slow gainer though and hasn't reached her birth weight yet. We have a weight check Monday so hopefully she's reached birth weight bc I really do not want to hear talk of supplementing.

I just ordered my free breast pump (double electric medela, I forget exactly which one) through insurance and it should be here by Monday, which is really good news because my supply is much more than Finley can handle at the moment. I want to start pumping and building up my stash!!!

So, good weight gain vibes for Finley on Monday please!!! As of yesterday she has 5oz to gain still...I don't know how possible that is in 4 days...I know I gain 5 oz just looking at a cookie lol but she's an itty bitty. I'll keep you all updated!
ElliotsMommy13 likes this.

Thanks so much *Kiliki* for my awesome summer siggie!
July 26th, 2013, 11:54 AM
alittlelost's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
4oz in one day is great! and it takes a while for them to gain back the weight they lose after birth. I'm sure she will be caught up in no time! I feel like the first week is spent losing the weight and the second week is spent gaining it back
July 26th, 2013, 12:03 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I wouldn't let them talk you into supplementing based on not gaining weight. Some babies just gain slower than others!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 26th, 2013, 12:53 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Yeah I won't go for supplementing unless there's something dramatic going on with her weight, but it's still annoying to hear about it and have to argue about it. Hopefully it will be a non issue!

July 26th, 2013, 02:19 PM
ElliotsMommy13's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sounds like she is doing well.

thank you so much to bokkechick for my siggy!
July 26th, 2013, 06:08 PM
JessKeller24's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hope she gains the weight. Yalia is only 3 days old, lost 10ozs and they are saying when she gets weighed tonight if she lost anymore they want me to supplement. Which I don't want to do either. They also said up to birth weight by 1 week, I thought it was 2 weeks?

July 26th, 2013, 06:48 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I hope Yalia gains also!!! Finley lost a total of 12oz before she started gaining again, which is quite a bit according to everyone at the hospital. I was also told that this is common with GD babies because they retain a lot of water. We were told 2 weeks (which will be Tuesday) to get back to birth weight. She was still 6 oz away at one week and the pediatrician didn't say much other than that she needed to come back in a week to get weighed again.

Oh, and congrats on Yalia!!!! I hope you post all about her birth so we can hear the details. Hope you are both doing well

July 26th, 2013, 07:04 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
sounds like she's pretty on track considering her overall loss. They expect about 1oz/day weight gain, so it's possible for her to be back to birth weight by 2 weeks.

Something you can try is doing breast compressions starting partway through a feeding to encourage her to finish off one breast and get more of the fattier milk. That's what I have been doing with Whitney, I don't switch sides unless she's no longer drinking even with compressions or she stops the feeding on her own (lets go/falls asleep). Dr Newman has a good video on how to do them: 4 Day Old After Tongue-tie Release With Compressions

I can't say 100% that its the compressions, but Whitney is exceeding her expected weight gain, over an ounce a day and over birth weight as of yesterday (they said expect 1/2oz/day until she hits 7lbs).

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 26th, 2013, 08:29 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm so glad Whitney is back to her birth weight already! That's awesome

Thank you for the info about compressions. I'm going to start trying that. Is the fattiest milk towards the end of a feeding?

July 26th, 2013, 08:43 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
the milk gradually increases in fat content through a feeding so the longer she eats on one side the more she will get in fat.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 27th, 2013, 07:04 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I'm glad to hear she has a good latch!

And, honestly? If she is gaining, I wouldn't worry too much about the supplementing. My first lost a lot (over the 10% they are "ok" with) while at the hospital despite me having an abundant supply and after that it took her 4 weeks to regain her birth weight, but she WAS gaining the whole time. We went in for lots of weight checks but she was just growing on her own curve. It took her until just over 7 months old to double her birth weight. We found out later that she had trouble processing dairy proteins, so when I cut dairy out of my diet she gained better, but if we had switched or supplemented with formula it would have been worse! She's a tall, brilliant, healthy happy 5 year old now. As long as she's not still losing, I would be tempted to wait and see if maybe she's just a slow grower rather than trying to beef her up on formula. (Not that there's anything wrong with formula, it just reads like that is not what you want!)

And I second the advice of feeding longer on one breast, I typically only use one breast per feeding once my milk comes in, to assure that it is well emptied and that baby gets that nutritious fatty hind milk.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search