Nursing in public?

Forum: August 2013 Playroom

Notices

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By BeachMum
  • 1 Post By Anchored
  • 1 Post By Jessmom
  • 1 Post By Kaisia

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To August 2013 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2013, 06:12 PM
Mega Super Mommy
How do you handle nursing in public? around strangers? how about aquaintances?

When my son was born, I was only able to nurse 6 weeks so we rarely left the house those first few weeks. I was young and didn't know much.

When my daughter was born 5 years later, I had more common sense, I used a blanket, moved rooms, etc Never once did I see/hear anyone have an issue with me nursing and I was comfortable with doing it wherever we were.

This time around, I'm already starting to get anxious. I'm going to breastfeed, no matter what. However, I'm a much more public figure at my daughters school (I'm PTA president, very involved in events, etc) so I know at some point I'll need to be front and center and most likely need to nurse baby while leading/directing an event.

If you have a wrap you've had success in nursing while wearing, can you share? I wouldn't mind stepping to another room but I can't nurse in another room and still oversee the events and stuff we do and I'm a firm believer in straight up breastfeeding so we won't introduce bottles/cups until we're firmly established.

Any advice you can share with me, I'd appreciate

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 26th, 2013, 06:16 PM
BeachMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I wear a nursing tank underneath my shirt and usually use a hooter hider. The nursing tank covered my belly which I was most self conscious about.

Also try nursing in front of a mirror, that wil help you see that not much is seen.
Jenilope likes this.

July 26th, 2013, 06:24 PM
Fins's Avatar Super Mommy
I bought the hooter hider and I've seen pictures of people nursing discreetly in their wraps but I haven't personally done it.

July 26th, 2013, 06:40 PM
Anchored's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't have experience with BFing in public because I didn't make it very far with Chase.

This time I plan to start out at home/in private to get myself used to it and then venture out "small places" (like my mom's house or sisters house) that way if I get anxious it'll only be around people I know well.

I plan to wear nursing tanks under my clothes so I don't have to feel self conscious about exposing myself AND the hooter hider (from Melissa!)
ElliotsMommy13 likes this.

*Thank you to
*Kiliki* for my beautiful signature!*

July 26th, 2013, 06:47 PM
Super Mommy
There are so many nice nursing tops available. I have always nursed where ever I was and to heck with anyone else. Some people will have a problem no matter how discreet you are. I refuse to nurse in any bathroom anywhere. Once you get practiced at it nothing shows anyways.
mirdeemrlvs likes this.
July 26th, 2013, 07:09 PM
mommy2skyty's Avatar Super Mommy
At first I use a nursing cover until my son was getting bigger and started kicking it off. Then I just got used to wear bigger shirts and of course nursing bras are the best! It can be hard to find a nice place to nurse sometimes so when all else fails I liked to nurse in the car as long as it wasn't too hot! I am one of those ladies who doesn't show skin when I nurse but if someone were to ask or comment about what I was doing I gladly say "feeding my son" he he! I really enjoyed nursing my son and well did it for a long time and I am really looking forward to doing it again and I am soo excited for you to nurse your new baby

Also I am really not kidding when I tell people I went from only nursing my daughter maybe a week because of latch problems to having no problems with my son and nursing him for 3 years!!! So if I could be successful anyone can

Skyla Helen- Feb 2nd, 2008
Tyler Lyman- Sep 6th, 2009

Quinn Kayden- Aug 17th, 2013

My kids are growing up soo fast!
July 26th, 2013, 07:52 PM
Kelllilee's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Kelllilee
I generally nurse in public without a cover, just covering as best I can with clothes. Double layers for example. My fav is wearing a half-tank under a cross front knit top, makes nursing pretty simple. I just try to find a fairly discreet area to get baby latched on and myself situated.

I have nursed in a stretchy wrap (like a moby) before, but it takes a lot of practice. I have also been able to do it with a ring sling but I find that one easiest once baby is old enough to do a hip carry.

I find having a blanket sort of bunched up around baby works well too, if you can pull your shirt in a way that covers the top of the breast, the blanket can help cover any exposed belly without covering baby.

Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, training to be an IBCLC!

July 27th, 2013, 07:43 AM
Jenilope's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to Jenilope
I have not had success nursing in a wrap. I have a large bust and need to support the breast with one hand while nursing, but I plan to try again this time, it would be so convenient!

I do think nursing tanks help keep things more comfortable and modest. And I practiced nursing in front of a mirror with my first before I did it in public.
My first baby did not appreciate being covered so I would just cover the top of the breast with a burp cloth instead of covering the whole baby with a blanket or hooter hider.

I have chosen to bow out of teaching sunday school this fall, I"m pretty comfortable nursing in public, but I felt like it would be too much of a distraction and potentially upset some parents if I were nursing in front of their children while also trying to teach the lessons.
Other than that, the only people I've been uncomfortable nursing around were my FIL and BIL, I used to excuse myself to nurse with my 1st if they were around, now they leave. And now that BIL and SIL had a baby and she nurses, I imagine it will be less awkward.

Just do your best to feel comfortable and secure in your decision and remember that you have the right to nurse your baby anywhere that baby is allowed to be.

July 27th, 2013, 04:17 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We typically have only one male attend our meetings and that's our principal and I'm probably going to feel very uncomfortable doing it in front of him. Most of the other women have young children so I don't feel as ackward but its not the type of conversation to have with my elem school principal LOL!!

Maybe I'll feed right before/after if it becomes an issue Or I could pass the meeting onto someone else and just move out of direct line of sight? Oy.. LOL!

Proud mama to
Cameron Alexander ---- January 11, 2000
Cassidy Skye ---- May 5, 2005
Callen Jase ---- August 23, 2013

~Angel Mama~ to

Caleb Jan 21, 1999
Carys April 29, 2011

July 27th, 2013, 07:00 PM
Kaisia's Avatar Veteran
I'm a FTM so I don't have experience with this. But someone once recommended a scarf. You can just drape it over the top next to baby's head to cover whatever part of the breast is exposed and that way if he or she pops off it can easily cover the rest. But without being so bulky and covering the whole baby since some don't like that at all. Worth a try? I have tons of scarves and that will be perfect for the fall when we'll first be spending much time out and about.

Luckily for me, Korea is much more supportive of nursing in public (though apparently sometimes too supportive--have heard older ladies will come right up and be touching the baby and everything while she's nursing because they're not uncomfortable with it at all and personal space isn't such a thing here!). Hoping I can get used to it in this environment and then not be too shy when we move home.
Jenilope likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search