Sugar Cookie Recipe

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By mamamac
  • 1 Post By kary4
  • 1 Post By kary4

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Blue Ribbon Recipes LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
December 5th, 2012, 10:41 AM
Mega Super Mommy
This is the recipe I've been using for about 5 years now, and they come out perfect every time! These are also the cookies I used to make Yankees/Red Sox-themed cookies as favors for a wedding last year, and everyone loved them.

The Best Rolled Sugar Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com

miss britt likes this.
December 5th, 2012, 11:25 AM
May 2013 Cohost
Thank you so much! You're officially my go to girl for recipes this holiday season! I love to bake. Not much of a cook, but I do love my desserts.

What about the icing? How much confectioner's sugar and milk? Or do you have a different recipe for icing? Do you ice them after they bake and cool, or while they are still hot?
mamamac likes this.
December 5th, 2012, 03:40 PM
Mega Super Mommy
OOOooooooh, the icing is the best part!

For icing, I use confectioner's sugar, light corn syrup, and milk. The corn syrup adds just the right amount of thickening and adds a good taste (ha, imagine that!). I have a recipe with certain amounts, but I usually just eyeball it depending on the consistency I'm looking for.

I wait to ice them until they're completely cool. For the cookies I want completely covered in icing, I either use a frosting bag and draw a ring of thicker icing around the edges, let that dry, then fill in the center with spooned-in icing, OR for a less finished look (but equally delicious!) just dip them in the icing upside down. It's best to put sprinkles, etc. on while the frosting is still wet, but if you're doing multiple colors, wait until the other icing is mostly dry or colors might bleed (assuming you're using food coloring). On that note, I highly recommend using food coloring gels-you have to use less so they don't alter the flavor of the icing as much. I love AmeriColor gel food coloring because it doesn't taste like Betty Crocker and other food colorings do, but it's pricier so only buy it if you'll actually use it more than once! AmeriColor Student Soft Gel Paste Food Color 12 Pack Kit: Amazon.com: Kitchen & Dining

This sugar recipe is good for kids because it's two components-making the dough, then waiting for it to chill in the fridge.

Have fun! Post pics and let me know how they turn out!
December 5th, 2012, 07:30 PM
May 2013 Cohost
I've never made icing before...how many boxes of confectioner's sugar would you say? And are we talking 1-2 tablespoons of milk? Or like 1/2 cup? I'm clueless, sorry! I usually make chocolate chip cookies! What consistency should I be looking for? Runny and wet? Will the icing drip off the sides of the cookies? Thanks!
December 6th, 2012, 05:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by kary4 View Post
I've never made icing before...how many boxes of confectioner's sugar would you say? And are we talking 1-2 tablespoons of milk? Or like 1/2 cup? I'm clueless, sorry! I usually make chocolate chip cookies! What consistency should I be looking for? Runny and wet? Will the icing drip off the sides of the cookies? Thanks!
No worries! These are the rough measurements I follow (I usually triple or quadruple it):

1 Cup Confectioner's Sugar
2 TSP Milk (2% is probably the best, but I usually use skim)
2 TSP Light corn syrup

Also, I forgot to mention that I usually add in 1/4 TSP Vanilla Extract-but you can use Almond or another extract if you'd like. You can buy clear vanilla extract so it doesn't change the color, but even using "regular" vanilla extract, it darkens the frosting so little you don't notice. Or, you can omit the extract completely. I usually buy a couple bags of confectioners sugar, but I make a lot of cookies. For one batch, one bag should do the trick. I'm not sure what size it is, honestly. It probably has about 8-10 cups per bag, though.

You want the consistency to be like a thin glue. Play around with consistency-it's easy to add more sugar and corn syrup if it's too thin! It will drip off the sides of the cookies unless you use thicker icing to make a border around the cookie that acts as a "dam" of sorts. For decorating the cookies (like doing lines and stuff) I usually make it thicker, like a paste more than a glue. I hope this helps, it's kind of hard to describe.

Here's a decent description of how to ice the cookies using the methods I mentioned above (and also has pics, yay!):

http://www.ourbestbites.com/2008/12/...h-glace-icing/

YAY Cookies!
December 25th, 2012, 05:38 PM
May 2013 Cohost
Well I made them! They turned out very well! They took longer to ice than I thought. I ended up buying cookie icing in a pastry bag with a tip to do the edges in the thicker icing, and then I used your icing recipe to fill in the middle. The glaze icing was a little thick, so I had to use a toothpick to help spread it out on the cookie which worked out well, but was time consuming. They also have to dry overnight, so next time I will start the whole project earlier. The icing was very tasty!
mamamac likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search