Grayden's Birth 4/4/13

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree8Likes
  • 8 Post By NewlyMrs

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To Spring Piglets LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
April 22nd, 2013, 03:29 PM
NewlyMrs's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The story of how I came to meet my cute little man:

Monday early morning I woke up for one of my multiple bathroom trips and noticed that my underwear was a little wet. Nothing that would soak a pad or even cause a trickle, just a little damp. I tried to determine whether it was amniotic fluid or urine (I thought maybe he was pressing on my bladder and causing me to lose control). I couldn't tell so I called labor and delivery. She told me to come in so they could test it. So I started getting ready to go and the water completely stopped. I mean not even a drop. So I called L&D back and told them I would keep an eye on it but it stopped so it must have been urine. Went to work Monday and still nothing. Went to bed Monday night and woke up early Tuesday morning with the same thing! Enough dampness to make my underwear wet but not a lot. Got up Tuesday ready to call L&D and it stopped again! Worked all day Tuesday with not another drop coming out. Wednesday early morning same thing! I had a doctor appointment that afternoon and couldn't wait so I called labor and delivery and asked what I should do. They recommended I still go to the doctor but bumped up my appointment time. I was able to get in their first available morning appointment. Soon after I had some bloody show. My heart started pounding and I literally couldn't wait to get to the doctor. We arrived and of course the doc was running late. I was an anxious mess for about an hour in the waiting room. She brought me back and did a very thorough exam on me which hurt quite a bit. She could feel that his head was really low but my cervix was closed. She left the room to test the fluid she collected and came back with a very puzzled look on her face. She said the tested the fluid and it came back negative for amniotic, but during my exam she could see that fluid was pooling. She wanted me to go to L&D with the sample she took. She told us that I was her interesting case of the month and she would check on my file to see what transpired. (This is a Kasier doc that wasn't my normal doctor since my appointment got bumped up).

So off to labor and delivery we go. I think her intensive exam sent me into active labor because as soon as they hooked me up to monitors I was contracting every 2 minutes. The doctor came in to take another sample and came back about 10 minutes later to tell me that it was indeed amniotic fluid and I wouldn't be going home without a baby! I got super emotional but excited at this moment. Since my water had been ruptured so long they wanted to get my labor going as fast as possible. About 2 hours into labor they started Pitocin (about 4:00 PM at this time). I could tolerate it for awhile but soon the contractions started coming really close together. Some wouldn't end...they would peak and come down and then come right back up again. It was crazy intense pain. At one point I felt what I think was the baby's head descend quickly and a gush of water. The pain became excruciating. My husband and my mom were with me and they were such excellent coaches. My husband would help me breathe and tell me how amazing I was doing and my mom would watch the monitor and tell me when the contraction was starting to come down. I requested the epidural at about 6:00 but there were a couple people before me. I think I got it at about 8:00 PM. That time of getting through the pain was such a blur. Once the epidural kicked in I felt like I was alive again! Smile was back on my face and I knew I could do it. Like Misty said, I was literally ready to kiss the ground the anesthesiologist walked on. She was my new best friend!

They checked me at 9:00 and I was 9.5 centimeters. They wanted me to rest while I was comfortable and let the baby move down on his own. At 10:30 PM I was fully dilated and ready to start pushing. They turned down my epidural at this point so I could feel what I was doing. They had also turned off the Pitocin at this point but my contractions were too far apart so they turned it back on. The nurse that was helping me push was so amazing. She helped me learn to push effectively. They asked if I wanted the mirror so I could see and I said yes. When I saw his head coming through with each contraction I looked at my mom and husband and said "I don't understand how his whole head and body are going to fit". The mirror really helped me see what kind of pushing was making his head come down, but after awhile I asked for it to be removed because I didn't want to see myself tear. After about an hour and a half of pushing I could feel so much pressure and knew it was getting really close. I think I felt more than I would have if the epidural hadn't been turned down. Lots of burning and pressure and then at 12:59 AM on April 4th Grayden entered the world and changed our lives forever. There was a team of pediatricians and doctors in the room to immediately check him out because he was early. The doctor was still working on me because I had a first degree tear. The healing process has been okay...sometimes the stitches hurt a bit but Motrin always helps. Anyways, Grady passed his exams with flying colors and they placed him on my chest for some skin to skin time. After about an hour or so our families came in to meet him. It was all such an emotional wonderful blur. Eventually they moved us into our recovery room and it was lights out, but I couldn't sleep. I just laid there with my baby and we worked on nursing. I think I slept maybe an hour that night.

We were in the hospital for 3 days so they could monitor little man. I was so grateful to have lactation consultants on hand to help us out. When he was born he was 6 lbs and when we left the hospital he was 5 lbs 5 oz, but 8 days after we got home he was already back at birth weight. We have an appointment tomorrow and I am guessing he will be close to 7 lbs. The kid loves to eat. Nursing was so tough at first and I was so stressed he was losing weight, but once my milk came in and we perfected the latch it was smooth sailing.

What I never want to forget from my birth experience is how amazing my husband was as a coach and now how wonderful he is as a daddy. The first time they place your baby on your chest is life changing. I wish happy and healthy birth experiences for all of you!

Updated pic:

April 22nd, 2013, 03:58 PM
Brock's minion
What a beautiful story, you made me cry. Congrats again on that beautiful baby and best of wishes to you and your family.

Michelle
April 22nd, 2013, 04:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
(Teary eyed) such a miracle labor and deliver is. And all the chaos at the end comes an angel.
Love your story. Huge props to your hubby for stepping up. Exactly what a man should do.
Your little guy is precious!!! Awe... I am officially super emotional and to anxious now!

Thank you for your story...
Good job pushing him out
April 22nd, 2013, 04:10 PM
misty3281's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
He is just so handsome. Totally feel for you having to wait 2 hours for the epidural. That is entirely too long. Like I keep saying though it's all just a memory now and you're holding the grand prize. Congrats again.
April 22nd, 2013, 04:24 PM
EverydayJoy's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow what an awesome story. You're amazing for going that long without pain control in a Pit-induced labor. That stuff is rough! Good work, mama, and I love the pic of Grady. He is SOOO darling. What a little angel.

Little Bud: Blooming in Heaven 1.24.12
April 22nd, 2013, 05:10 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Ahhh love it! So glad you are getting to enjoy your little man!

April 22nd, 2013, 05:49 PM
May 2013 Cohost
He's so adorable - love the new pic! I can't believe you had to wait 2 hrs for your epidural. That's a long time! I think I waited 30 min and I was in agony! You're so strong! Congrats again!
April 22nd, 2013, 07:50 PM
Memi's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Oh hes so handsome! The last paragraph made me tear up. I just cannot wait! Thank you for sharing your beautiful birth story.

April 23rd, 2013, 11:30 AM
jcperez's Avatar 1 Busy Momma
What a nice story! Thank you for sharing it! He is one handsome little guy. Im so happy everything worked out just fine for you.

Mommy to Lorenzo, Marino and Remy
May 15th, 2013, 01:05 PM
ashj_1218's Avatar Hiya!
Loving reading this story. Your words eloquently describe that "first time" fear that gives way to awe. Thank you for sharing!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search